• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 woofgm

woofgm

Sim Racing Since 1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Family, Grilling, ICR2/N3/GPL/NR2K3 Painting & Rendering in 3ds Max

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 08:16 AM

Either I am blind ( strong possibility), or am not looking in the proper area. Does anyone know where I might be able to locate some painting templates for this mod?

#2 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 11 2014 - 12:54 PM

Hi woofgm,
as far as I am aware there are no templates per se. You could unpack the dats (use datman) and use the skins you will find there as templates. That's about as much as you'll get. What I think you're asking for are empty files with just shading and details on an otherwise white body, right? I don't know if there is anything like that available for any one car of the mod, not in the public domain anyway.

#3 woofgm

woofgm

Sim Racing Since 1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Family, Grilling, ICR2/N3/GPL/NR2K3 Painting & Rendering in 3ds Max

Posted Mar 12 2014 - 09:57 AM

Welllllllllllll rats. Looks like I will have a project on my list of to do things to do then. Thanks for the info.

#4 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 13 2014 - 11:13 AM

I have "templates" for some of the cars I did, however, they are not templates as I outline them where you have one layer of shading and one layer of details and then maybe a mask and a layer for the base colour. My .psd files for a carskin have a couple hundred (yes!) layers in photoshop (the P4 had over a 1000 layers at one point, stretching the photoshops layer levels limits). And even then it is not just as easy as floodfill a base colour and slap some decals on. Depending on the colour you may have to have a different highlight, etc... so lots of manual labour. The highlights working on a red car may not work so well or turn out different on a blue car (currently fiddling with that issue on a 250F).

In case you decide to give recreating certain skins a go - here's a tip: Use as high a resolution for the car skin file as you can even if you intend to have the final skins in 512x512 only. They will look crisper when you resize them from big to small. Going from small to big usually sucks big time. I work in 8192x8192 for skins ;) or sometimes 16384x8192 for dashboards... ahem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links