webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 22 2014 - 03:13 PM

Made a quick search for this but couldn't find any previous mention.

www.classicracesimulators.com

If only I had the money and room.... but where are Cooper, Brabham and BRM?

Edited by webfoot, Feb 23 2014 - 05:08 AM.

#2 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Feb 22 2014 - 04:34 PM

Nice, maybe the other cars are still w.i.p.?

Seems he's unaware of GPL, maybe someone should tell him :)

#3 Jens C. Lindblad

Jens C. Lindblad

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted Feb 23 2014 - 04:06 AM

On the "about us" page there's a reference to GPL: " Grand Prix legends appeared on my desktop about 10 years ago - it was fun but a little quirky and cumbersome."

Hmmmm... It seems that he was better able to connect with rFactor...

I think it is the same basic tub shape that is used and then they just change the colours and the stickers.

Wouldn't mind having it though, if I had the money and the space. :D

#4 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Feb 23 2014 - 04:19 AM

That figures, GPL is for the persistent ones..

I have space, one out of 2 ain't bad but it won't be enough.
Just checked my wallet again but since my last probe it still didn't cough up some money.
I did see a paper eating bug crawl out of it, i wonder if he consumed my last buck.

#5 Royale

Royale

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it.

Posted Feb 23 2014 - 06:00 AM

View PostJens C. Lindblad, on Feb 23 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

On the "about us" page there's a reference to GPL: " Grand Prix legends appeared on my desktop about 10 years ago - it was fun but a little quirky and cumbersome."

Hmmmm... It seems that he was better able to connect with rFactor...

I think it is the same basic tub shape that is used and then they just change the colours and the stickers.

Wouldn't mind having it though, if I had the money and the space. :D

With that price I can start you regional racing in the eastern US in a formula vee or classic formula ford. I'll even drive you to the track, buy you snacks, and show you pit signals  :D

PS. Ditto for MECH.

Edited by Royal, Feb 23 2014 - 06:01 AM.

#6 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • Interests:Check out my channel for some nice GPL content :)

Posted Feb 23 2014 - 09:49 AM

Would be amazing to drive in one of those things. I would go for Ferrari :D

Neither have the money for that. And I am the 'richest' of the house.

#7 Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman

Hitman Industries

• Members
  • 883 posts
  • Interests:Simracing
  • Sim interest:rFactor

Posted Apr 30 2014 - 02:59 PM

These look great! Really well done. Quite expensive, but they do look beautiful.

Edited by Remco Hitman, Apr 30 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#8 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,796 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Apr 30 2014 - 04:14 PM

......... " Grand Prix legends appeared on my desktop about 10 years ago - it was fun but a little quirky and cumbersome."
But isn't that exactly what 60's racing cars were like? What a compliment!  ;) :D

#9 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted May 01 2014 - 06:03 AM

To be honest, I had a similar idea bounce around my head a year or two ago. The only difference was it wasn't just the tub with nothing to it, but an entire car. And to be quite frank, the details are off there, and it really seems like one size fits all meaning same body, different paint, which is a let-down considering you are asked to part with 3 large of the queen's flock, more like 3.6k € or 5 grand US - and that's not even including the other necessary hardware (which is the same price again - I wonder if that includes the PC and the screens or "just" the wheel, pedals, shifter, etc...?). To me that's a very steep price considering it's just a fibreglass tub with casters on one end and a perspex screen. I'd imagine a DIY project should run less than that.

Anyway, my idea was going down a rather different road, by browsing the classifieds on racecarsdirect or similar sites shooting for cheap formula vee type cars (even with engines, so you could actually drive them for real if you fancied that). Of course the electronics to translate your steering, pedal, shifter and whatnot inputs would need to be custom built and added to the car. But I doubt that is rocket science. I'm more of the opinion that if you have a wheel you could take it apart and attach the parts to the real car, maybe even make them removable so you don't carry the extra weight / clutter for when you go racing in the real world. Immersion would be way better, as you see the actual wheels move, sit in a REAL car instead of some phony make-believe monstrosity... But that's just me. Back when I was looking, you could score formula vee type cars for less than 5 grand US, basically what Bob said.
Or you could try and go large and buy an old BT-20 or something chassis and body, maybe minus an engine... that would be the ultimate super cool thing.

#10 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 920 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted May 01 2014 - 07:11 AM

Or just do what Remco did and create something truly amazing.  Pretty sure Remco had more than 5 grand in his, even without counting the cost of his Bodnar wheel or the time he put into making it.

#11 Caterham Super 7

Caterham Super 7

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:RF2, RF, HGT&TC, GPL, Assetto Corsa

Posted Dec 24 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostMECH, on Feb 22 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

Nice, maybe the other cars are still w.i.p.?

Seems he's unaware of GPL, maybe someone should tell him :)

Oooooh YES - I know GPL alright guys  :-D

#12 Caterham Super 7

Caterham Super 7

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted Dec 24 2014 - 02:09 PM

View Postsky, on May 01 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

To be honest, I had a similar idea bounce around my head a year or two ago. The only difference was it wasn't just the tub with nothing to it, but an entire car. And to be quite frank, the details are off there, and it really seems like one size fits all meaning same body, different paint, which is a let-down considering you are asked to part with 3 large of the queen's flock, more like 3.6k € or 5 grand US - and that's not even including the other necessary hardware (which is the same price again - I wonder if that includes the PC and the screens or "just" the wheel, pedals, shifter, etc...?). To me that's a very steep price considering it's just a fibreglass tub with casters on one end and a perspex screen. I'd imagine a DIY project should run less than that.

Anyway, my idea was going down a rather different road, by browsing the classifieds on racecarsdirect or similar sites shooting for cheap formula vee type cars (even with engines, so you could actually drive them for real if you fancied that). Of course the electronics to translate your steering, pedal, shifter and whatnot inputs would need to be custom built and added to the car. But I doubt that is rocket science. I'm more of the opinion that if you have a wheel you could take it apart and attach the parts to the real car, maybe even make them removable so you don't carry the extra weight / clutter for when you go racing in the real world. Immersion would be way better, as you see the actual wheels move, sit in a REAL car instead of some phony make-believe monstrosity... But that's just me. Back when I was looking, you could score formula vee type cars for less than 5 grand US, basically what Bob said.
Or you could try and go large and buy an old BT-20 or something chassis and body, maybe minus an engine... that would be the ultimate super cool thing.

Im the builder at CRS. "Buy an old BT20..." yer havin a laugh ! Even just a chassis without suspension is going to come in at £40k - yes - I am serious. We were down at Monaco at the Auction and the BT20 which was there went for just a little less than £1m.

yes we do cheat by using different Gelcoat. To replicate every car from 1967 would cost a fortune, add to that the storage of the moulds and finished bodies in stock - it wouldnt be worthwhile.

Theres not a lot of profit in what we do with the price of a body at £1,995 plus VAT. An original pattern screen for a Lotus 49 comes in at £575 plus VAT. Thanks for the "Monstrosity" comment :-) The car is built from the plans of the first Lotus 49 (with the 1/4 perspex screen) , which revolutionised racing the world over. I dont think the car is a monstrosity at all.

The original car I built entirely from wood - no, its not difficult as you say but there are a lot of hours in the building of the thing.

Dont dis' me dude - put your money where your mouth is and build one yourself.

Edited by Caterham Super 7, Dec 24 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#13 Caterham Super 7

Caterham Super 7

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted Dec 24 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostRemco Hitman, on Apr 30 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

These look great! Really well done. Quite expensive, but they do look beautiful.

Thanx Remco :-)

#14 Caterham Super 7

Caterham Super 7

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted Dec 24 2014 - 02:20 PM

GrandPrixYannick -  here you go ! This is the latest - https://www.facebook...&type=1

#15 Caterham Super 7

Caterham Super 7

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted Dec 24 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostSaiph, on Apr 30 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

......... " Grand Prix legends appeared on my desktop about 10 years ago - it was fun but a little quirky and cumbersome."
But isn't that exactly what 60's racing cars were like? What a compliment!  ;) :D

Hey Saif, Aylebury eh ? You're just up the road from us dude. Next time you're on the M25 near J13 come in for a cuppa'. You would be most welcome - the kettle is always on :up:

Edited by Caterham Super 7, Dec 24 2014 - 02:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links