• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 09 2014 - 05:38 PM

Just bought a new laptop with windows 8. I was intending just to use the rig for mobile use as my other laptop has been turned into a glorified desktop. But temptation overtook me and I decided to install gpl as well as other games. To my annoyance when I went into gpl the menu screens had black borders on the left and right of the screen but in the game play full resolution to my desktop setting. Also in other games the black borders were there not only in the menus but in the gameplay screens.
So double checking my resolution and in game resolution settings I smelled a problem. After much google research I found what I thought was a solution. My new laptop as a radeon card fitted and the solution is to right click the desktop and click at the top for the control centre ccc for your card settings. In there is an option for changing the scaling which then solves your problem. Unfortunately my windows 8 machine is a newer version and radeon have hidden the option from there ccc which was clearly there before.. So after more research I found the solution and the scaling option, which I felt should be shared here for future reference.
Now all you need to do is right click your desktop and got to the control centre for the radeon card. Top right of the pop up box is an option preferences. Click that and in the drop down box click advanced view. Now down the left side of the pop up box are more options and link menu tags. Go for My built in displays and then properties built in displays. You should then see a small pic of a laptop and the option for full screen or centred scaling. Obviously go for the full screen option and you should be good to go.

Thanks all for reading!!!!

Edited by twinpotter, Feb 09 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#2 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Feb 09 2014 - 08:13 PM

thanks for the investigative work!   i'm not using w8..  tho i hear there is some arm-twisting being done by MS :P    partly due to wondering how GPL would run... IF it would... can you report back on that when you have time?
how was the sound compared to your old sys? etc....

#3 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 09 2014 - 11:15 PM

I am running GPL on Windows 8.1 on triple screens, I haven't had any problems. Like anything with computers we all strike odd and different problems from time to time, I have been lucky so far but have read here in these forums that some other people have struggled with it.

#4 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Feb 10 2014 - 04:35 AM

Well, I like better the correct proportions in the menu (with black bars on the sides) instead of the stretched view, the program and the track map are not distorted this way . :)

#5 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,325 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Feb 10 2014 - 01:55 PM

Graphically the game is crisp and good with 1366x768 res. I am very surprised with the performance as well as a good sound even though it is just from the basic built in laptop speakers. I am not sure which rasterises opengl or direct3d for the Radeon card so any advice there would be good. Also without GEM programme yet but going to try install. Think I heard here that windows 8 had problems with GEM but correct me if I'm wrong. Also  whether my gamepad is connected or not I have to calibrate my controller every time I go into the game through the exe. Not sure if that is normal.
Will report back later with results.

:hat-tip:

#6 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 10 2014 - 02:53 PM

View Posttwinpotter, on Feb 10 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

Think I heard here that windows 8 had problems with GEM but correct me if I'm wrong.
:hat-tip:

It works fine on my system using 8.1 ^_^

#7 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,325 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Feb 10 2014 - 03:23 PM

Thanks Burnsy!
Installed Gem and all is good. Going to look at other  rasterises but opengl v2 seems ok at moment. Also with Anisotrophic on level 3 and v-sync enabled, game runs smooth. May have a look at direct 3d rast ?
Will next try a mod and may go first for F2!

:whistling:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links