Peter Dron

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Jellied eels
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 09 2014 - 03:43 PM

Is it better in GPL to set up the chassis to give even temperatures across the tyres or to have the inner temperatures a few degrees higher than the outside, with the centre at roughly the halfway point?

I have always gone for the former, but I spent quite a time recently experimenting with the staggered idea, aiming to get a difference of roughly 10deg F from inner to outer. It did not seem to give any advantage...

#2 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Jan 09 2014 - 04:26 PM

I always try to keep the temperatures even across the tire. If that is the case it means your camber and pressure settings are correct :) . At least that's what I'm led to believe anyway :)

#3 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,356 posts

Posted Jan 09 2014 - 06:06 PM

As a good rule of thumb, having the temps even across the tire should be your goal.  And Tommie certainly knows as he is an expert driver.

However, the program actually displays the three core temps inside the tire which are averaged to compute the tire pressure and then grip..  The tread temps are not displayed (unless you are using Pribluda).  The highest of the three tread temps is also used to compute grip.

So even tire temps within the setup menu doesn't necessarily mean you are getting the most grip.  Only experiment will tell.

Edited by Lee200, Jan 09 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#4 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Jan 09 2014 - 10:46 PM

View PostLee200, on Jan 09 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

As a good rule of thumb, having the temps even across the tire should be your goal.  And Tommie certainly knows as he is an expert driver.

However, the program actually displays the three core temps inside the tire which are averaged to compute the tire pressure and then grip..  The tread temps are not displayed (unless you are using Pribluda).  The highest of the three tread temps is also used to compute grip.

So even tire temps within the setup menu doesn't necessarily mean you are getting the most grip.  Only experiment will tell.

Lee, isn't overall tire temp range more important than even tire temps across the tire?  For example, If optimum temp range for tire grip is between 190-220, just to throw out some numbers, isn't it more important to be in that range than it is to be 161 degrees of temperature across the tires?

Dave

Edited by dbell84, Jan 09 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#5 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Jan 10 2014 - 07:06 AM

I thought that the idea was to get the pressures (when up to temperature) correct (~24 to 26 psi depending on the mod you are using) so that the size of the contact patch is optimised. Then, get the surface temperatures across the tyre even so that the contact patch is being used to the maximum. I don't remember seeing any optimum temperatures mentioned in the set-up guides I have read?

#6 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Jan 10 2014 - 07:55 AM

Well, it's a fight to keep the tires from getting too hot most of the time, so you want as big a contact patch as possible which reduces the temperatures.

#7 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Jan 10 2014 - 08:35 AM

OK so is there an optimum tyre surface temperature? And which is more important, getting the temperature or the contact patch size correct?

#8 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,356 posts

Posted Jan 10 2014 - 10:12 AM

I've attached a spreadsheet which shows the percentage of grip versus temperature and pressure for the original '67 F1 front tire.  The temps are in Kelvin and the pressure is in psi.  For this tire, the optimums are 400 degrees Kelvin and 24 psi.

I'll try to answer each of these questions:

1.  There is only one optimum temperature and grip is highest when the tire temperature is exactly at optimum.  Above and below optimum, the grip decreases.  There is no defined range over which grip is maximum.  But as you can see from the spreadsheet, if the tire temp is kept within 25 degrees Kelvin or so of optimum, you are getting close to maximum grip.  The tire temp used to compute grip is the maximum of the three tread temps.

2.  There is only one optimum pressure and grip is highest when the tire pressure is exactly at optimum.  Above and below optimum, the grip decreases.  There is no defined range over which grip is maximum.  From the spreadsheet, if the tire pressure is within a couple of psi of optimum, you are getting close to maximum grip.  There is no excuse for not achieving optimum pressure though as you can adjust it in the setup menu.  Pressure is based on the setup menu pressure and is adjusted by the average of the three core temps.

Conduction heating and cooling is simulated between the three core temps and the three tread temps...they affect each other.  So for most drivers, equaling the core temps is a good goal as that also tends to equal the tread temps.

The setup menu displays the three core temps.  Pribluda can display the three core and the three tread temps.

If you are a very slow driver such as I who cannot get enough heat into the tires, you possibly can get better grip by having one tread temp higher than the other two.  This is because grip is based on the highest of the three tread temps.  Only experimentation will tell.

Attached Files

Edited by Lee200, Jan 10 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#9 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Music

Posted Jan 10 2014 - 12:14 PM

Very interesting.. so the peak grip is coming at the right temperature, and psi can vary around that 24 psi range. What temperature units are used in Pribluda? Fahrenheit?

#10 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Jan 10 2014 - 12:58 PM

View PostLee200, on Jan 10 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

I've attached a spreadsheet which shows the percentage of grip versus temperature and pressure for the original '67 F1 front tire.  The temps are in Kelvin and the pressure is in psi.  For this tire, the optimums are 400 degrees Kelvin and 24 psi.

I'll try to answer each of these questions:

1.  There is only one optimum temperature and grip is highest when the tire temperature is exactly at optimum.  Above and below optimum, the grip decreases.  There is no defined range over which grip is maximum.  But as you can see from the spreadsheet, if the tire temp is kept within 25 degrees Kelvin or so of optimum, you are getting close to maximum grip.  The tire temp in use is the maximum of the three tread temps.

2.  There is only one optimum pressure and grip is highest when the tire pressure is exactly at optimum.  Above and below optimum, the grip decreases.  There is no defined range over which grip is maximum.  From the spreadsheet, if the tire pressure is within a couple of psi of optimum, you are getting close to maximum grip.  There is no excuse for not achieving optimum pressure though as you can adjust it in the setup menu.  Pressure is based on the setup menu pressure and is adjusted by the average of the three core temps.

Conduction heating and cooling is simulated between the three core temps and the three tread temps...they affect each other.  So for most drivers, equaling the core temps is a good goal as that also tends to equal the tread temps.

The setup menu displays the three core temps.  Pribluda can display the three core and the three tread temps.

If you are a very slow driver such as I who cannot get enough heat into the tires, you possibly can get better grip by having one tread temp higher than the other two.  This is because grip is based on the highest of the three tread temps.  Only experimentation will tell.

Interesting, first you talk of real life or GPL, or both? Secondly, it's a shame the tires are modelled with grip based on highest of 3 temps...that's why ppl use such high tirepressures in mods I guess (like default), when the tiretemps are all over the place, but it seems to be faster...I seem to run lower pressures than most...

Personally I have always setup pressure and camber on roadcourses evening out tiretemps. But this new knowledge will make me to use a new approach...

PS: Lee, why should I run 75/75/4 rather than 50/50/1, when the locking percentage is the same...what's the (dis)advantage in running more clutches keeping the same locking percentage?

Edited by Robert Fleurke, Jan 10 2014 - 12:59 PM.

#11 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,356 posts

Posted Jan 10 2014 - 03:22 PM

Robert, my post was only about how GPL models grip versus temp and pressure.

Uh, the differential physics are a totally different ball of wax.  There are several threads that cover this in pretty good detail.  But to answer your question, if two different diff settings result in the same locking percentage, there is absolutely no difference in how the car reacts.  So there is no advantage of one setting over the other.

#12 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,356 posts

Posted Jan 10 2014 - 03:23 PM

View PostIestyn16, on Jan 10 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Very interesting.. so the peak grip is coming at the right temperature, and psi can vary around that 24 psi range. What temperature units are used in Pribluda? Fahrenheit?

I use F, but I believe Pribluda can display C if desired.

#13 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jan 10 2014 - 03:47 PM

Pribluda displays the units set in the game options. Obviously you should use metric anyway.

#14 Peter Dron

Peter Dron

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Jellied eels

Posted Jan 10 2014 - 03:56 PM

View PostMichkov, on Jan 10 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

Pribluda displays the units set in the game options. Obviously you should use metric anyway.

Why is that obvious?

Apart from that, what an interesting discussion - I have had a hunch confirmed and learned several new things.

#15 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Jan 10 2014 - 05:27 PM

View PostLee200, on Jan 10 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

Robert, my post was only about how GPL models grip versus temp and pressure.

Uh, the differential physics are a totally different ball of wax.  There are several threads that cover this in pretty good detail.  But to answer your question, if two different diff settings result in the same locking percentage, there is absolutely no difference in how the car reacts.  So there is no advantage of one setting over the other.

Thanks, the spreadsheet does only apply to GPL67, and not to other mods I now understand. Also thanks for answering my off-topic question, thought more friction might cause slight power-loss with more clutches (not sure if it is modelled in GPL's physics), but should expand on that in a different thread.

Always good to learn new things and discovering new info about Grand Prix Legends!

Edited by Robert Fleurke, Jan 10 2014 - 05:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links