jklhill

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:GPL and Automobilista
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Nov 28 2012 - 11:57 AM

This is the Shadow I remember the most ripping around Laguna.
Posted Image
Any chance someone is working on this car for the mod?
I remember they brought 2 of the F1 shadows and did some laps with the 2 can-ams and the 2 F1's running together.

#2 Cheapracer

Cheapracer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 28 2012 - 11:39 PM

Interesting they claimed 1200hp for the car back then making it the most powerful CanAm car ever and in a recent bolt for bolt rebuild of the car staying as true to the original spec as possible, they dyno'ed it and actually got 1200hp!

#3 rtc552

rtc552

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:sim racing, firearms, motorsports, reading.
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Nov 29 2012 - 01:16 PM

better wear your rubber undies when you drive that little beast.

#4 kestrel

kestrel

Jo Siffert

• Supporter
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Family, Photography, Motor Sport, Music

Posted Nov 29 2012 - 01:30 PM

View Postrtc552, on Nov 29 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

better wear your rubber undies when you drive that little beast.

Or brown corduroys.

#5 jklhill

jklhill

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted Nov 29 2012 - 01:35 PM

Interesting. I thought the 917/30 held the honor for being the most powerful CanAm car. "The 917/30 was the most powerful sports car racer ever built and raced. The 5.374-litre 12 cylinder (90.0 x 70.4 mm) twin-turbocharged engine could produce 1,580 bhp (1,180 kW) in qualifying tune, with twin turbochargers run up to full boost, 39 psi (2.7 bar), though it usually raced with around 1,100 bhp (820 kW) at 7,800 rpm to preserve the engine. Weighing 1,800 lb (820 kg), giving it a power to weight of 1967.36 bhp/tonne in qualifying tune and 1369.68 bhp/tonne in race tune. The 917/30 dominated the Can-Am series during the 1973 season. The 917/30 could go from 0-62 mph (100 km/h) in 1.9 seconds, 0-100 mph (160 km/h) in 3.9 seconds, 0-200 mph (320 km/h) in 10.9 seconds, and on to a top speed of more than 260 mph (420 km/h). The 917 was also the only championship winning car in Can Am not to be powered by Chevrolet."

#6 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Nov 29 2012 - 03:33 PM

well depending on what you read into it, i'd say the 917/30 was the most powerful car of them all. they just chose to not run it at peak power during the races by basically detuning it to a safe 1100bhp. i'm sure if the competition had been closer to them, they would have upped the pressure a notch to get some extra oomph during the race as well. but what's the point of doing that if you don't need to do it as you are already dominating the scene at will?

#7 rtc552

rtc552

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 99 posts

Posted Nov 29 2012 - 03:42 PM

As much as I loved the Porsche  917/30, it probably caused the demise of the Can-Am series. Porsches pockets were too deep for others to complete.So sad to see it go. Provided me with a ton of pleasure back then.

#8 jklhill

jklhill

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted Nov 29 2012 - 05:17 PM

View Postrtc552, on Nov 29 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

As much as I loved the Porsche  917/30, it probably caused the demise of the Can-Am series. Porsches pockets were too deep for others to compete.So sad to see it go. Provided me with a ton of pleasure back then.

Pete Lyons in his book, Can-Am said "spiraling costs, a recession in North America following the oil crisis, and dwindling support and interest led to the series being cancelled and the last scheduled race of the 1974 season not being run." Personally, I always felt the 917/30 was the death of the Can-Am or at least had a small part in contributing to the spiraling cost. Yes they were great fun to watch. What has been even better is getting up close to these and other great cars at the Historic events. And we still get to enjoy them with the Can-Am mod. It doesn't get much better than that.

#9 rtc552

rtc552

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 99 posts

Posted Nov 29 2012 - 06:27 PM

These fantastic machines were racing when I was a teenager. I suppose thats part of the charm of it all. The roar of those big v-8s would send a shiver down your spine ! Absolutely thrilling.

#10 Cheapracer

Cheapracer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted Dec 01 2012 - 07:25 AM

Sorry, just checked my facts and it was the 1973 Shadow, not 1974 that raced a couple of times with 1200hp making it the most powerful CanAm ever raced.

By far from the only case of a manufacturer claiming to be first, best, biggest etc. in racing when a privateer actual has done better but then the privateer isn't trying to sell something.

By the way, something else interesting, in 1975, 2 of the 1974 Shadow CanAm cars match raced 2 of Shadow's F1 cars with 4 of the best drivers around then, George Folmer and Jackie Oliver in the CA's while Jean Pierre Jarier and James Hunt were in the F1's at Laguna Seca - the F1's won. Would sure like to see film of that.

#11 Dave63

Dave63

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted Dec 01 2012 - 07:41 AM

A friend of mine back in the day used to work for Nissan on their GTP cars. They were out testing at Sears Point and there was a guy there with a vinatge McLaren Mk8 Can Am car. As you would expect, the Nissan walked away from it in the corners due to the huge amount of downforce, but he said the McLaren would walk away from it on the straights because of the horsepower. Just an interesting tidbit.

#12 JacnGille

JacnGille

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted Dec 01 2012 - 08:08 AM

The Nissan's high downforce also results in more aero drag, So, the McLaren's straight line advantage has as much to do with that as horsepower.

#13 jklhill

jklhill

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted Dec 01 2012 - 10:13 AM

View PostCheapracer, on Dec 01 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

By the way, something else interesting, in 1975, 2 of the 1974 Shadow CanAm cars match raced 2 of Shadow's F1 cars with 4 of the best drivers around then, George Folmer and Jackie Oliver in the CA's while Jean Pierre Jarier and James Hunt were in the F1's at Laguna Seca - the F1's won. Would sure like to see film of that.

Yeah, that's what I mentioned above. I was there. My impressiion at the time was it was more of a demonstration than a match race.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links