* * * * * 2 votes

1970 Road Atlanta New Track Creation ...

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#16 Cheapracer

Cheapracer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 31 2012 - 08:58 AM

View Postdangermouse, on Oct 30 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

Just wondering how you're doing with Elkhart, Road Atlanta and now Glen 71?  Do you know how long you'll take? Are you going to do Mid Ohio? Are you going to do Sudschleife too? How many tracks are you planning and which ones are they? People would then know what to avoid before you tell them to stop.

Elhart; Going very well.

Road Atlanta; It's in good hands with Gaus and I sent him some files I had if they could help at all.

Mid Ohio; Haven't put my hand up for it.

Sudschleife: Ummm, in the Sudschleife thread I offered the build files for my Nurb Warmup track and some of Papy's Nurburgring track build files and further info to help anyone was going to build it, seems that wasn't clear?

Glen71 is go, go, go as I clearly stated in the appropriate thread after private discussions with Silence... btw, from the lead in of that thread that you must have missed ......

"As I am interested in getting all the CanAm track set out there so I am declaring to build it (Glen71) if no one is currently doing it as Gaus has mentioned to me his continuing on Road Atlanta.
*Thanks Gaus ;-) "

Attached Files

Edited by Cheapracer, Oct 31 2012 - 09:21 AM.

#17 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Oct 31 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hi Mark.  Just a small aside here.  The '71 Glen track as used by the Can-Ams didn't have the chicane (think they called it the "inner loop") at the end of the straight.

Thanks for all your track work!
Greg

#18 Cheapracer

Cheapracer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted Oct 31 2012 - 11:44 AM

View Postgliebzeit, on Oct 31 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Hi Mark.  Just a small aside here.  The '71 Glen track as used by the Can-Ams didn't have the chicane (think they called it the "inner loop") at the end of the straight.

Thanks Greg, yes I am aware, I did a basic outlay for the Sports Car 'Boot' track as well and that was the start of it, I took a shot of the wrong .gtk.

#19 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Oct 31 2012 - 03:23 PM

Sorry, but hearing at the Repository that Ginetto stopped his work on Road America means  there is no progress on what wld have been a great achievement.

Road America and Südschleife  where rightly worked on  and in project for the latter with a team of very dedicated and concerned nodders, I can't  see anything good on claiming parallels projects are coming .

Ginetto is working with the highest standards of research, dedication and honesty for releasing his GPL tracks, and  what can we gain for unfinished or not in par with his work projects ?

Mark, did you know about Road America, before planning to work on it again ?

I simply hope you have seen that the last tracks released by date at the Track database are far better companion of the realism police than numerous track released when GPL was in its infancy .Then there wasn 't as much others racing games to play, and the vast melting pot community was simply waiting for new layouts, new fun things to play with, regardless of track surroundings.

The upcoming fantastic Spa 67, Riverside 71, Zolder 67, Surfer Paradise 68,  Monza 10 K snd version, Enna 67,  Targa Florio 67 , Avhenisto , Daytona Add ons + Thomas Lachaele Add ons on his site to name a few show the high level of the average rendering of the latest releases, isn ' it ?

Edited by M Needforspeed, Oct 31 2012 - 03:57 PM.

indianapolis 1967 review at...

Speedgeezers ( thanks Paul Jackson for hosting - and now Bill Cooper!)

http://dixierunners....967/indy67race/

#20 Cheapracer

Cheapracer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted Oct 31 2012 - 11:18 PM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Oct 31 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

Südschleife  where rightly worked on  and in project for the latter with a team of very dedicated and concerned nodders, I can't  see anything good on claiming parallels projects are coming  blah blah ..

What are you talking about?

I have a beta version of Sudschleife sitting on my computer found while going through my GPL files last night and that's it, I have not indicated anything else about it other than I will email Smoggy to see what he wants to do with it - not even 100% sure it's even Smoggy's (but fairly sure).

There seems to be a lot of not fully read or no comprehension of my posts so once again a recap;

I was asked to fix Road Atlanta, posted that I would with this "Question is, is there anybody out there who is already re-doing this track?", found out Gaus is doing it, PM'ed Gaus, yes he's doing it and he suggested to do Watkins Glen.

Posted/asked if clear to do Watkins Glen, again with this "so I am declaring to build it if no one is currently doing it" found out Silence was doing it, PM'ed Silence and he wants to step aside for other GPL pursuits so clear to have a go at it.

Someone mentioned I could touch up Mid Ohio, I answered I could probably get the build files from Smoggy but again, at no stage did I say I would do it.

Note this all comes about from my excitement to help the released Can Am mod along ... silly me.

I posted in the Sudschleife thread If anyone was to do Sudschleife, I would give any related Nurburgring files I already have to help out to that person as I have already the files to my Wet version, the Warmup track and I have a 1965 chicaneless version. At no stage did I say I would build it.

As for Road America, I'll offer a more complete answer in a day or 2 but know that I am continuing and closing in towards a series of releases of my crappy, shite version that you haven't seen but apparently are aware already couldn't possibly meet current GPL standards.  

Part 2 coming ....

#21 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Nov 01 2012 - 02:50 PM

Well...hm.
Aren't we all a fine bunch of sqweekers.

Who cares how many versions of any track there are? :hithead:

Apparently some think there should only be one.
Mark wants to work alone. Fine. I surely understand that considering his efforts here to collaborate. Working alone only works until he puts something out and as he knows anyone can then cut, paste, trample on anything he did. So what? That is after all what all the excitement was once about. Anyone not here for several years should go over to GPL++ The Add-ons and read the entire "Updates" section as punishment for not knowing about it already.

the line is faster than the foot

V. R. Metaphysical Aesthetics

The Practice Room

#22 Cheapracer

Cheapracer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted Nov 02 2012 - 01:42 AM

View PostJohn Woods, on Nov 01 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

Mark wants to work alone.

It's not that I want to work alone, I just don't keep schedules that people can agree with, I might work on a track for a day and a half straight (as in 36 hours) and jump ahead what might be a month for someone else then I might do nothing for 2 weeks and I have no patience to wait for someone else to finish their part, I just don't fit in with 'normal' schedules, I've tried before. I also go off in tangents and might experiment with something new and reach a point then scrap it and start in that area from scratch again as I have been the last few weeks with tree experiments, I've built around 300 individual tree .srb's in the last month and tested their effects trying to emulate Jim Pearson's work but quickly found that doing it for narrow lanes and wide raceways give entirely different results.

I just don't fit in working with others, simple as that and nothing else meant by it.

#23 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Nov 02 2012 - 05:12 AM

Sorry, Mark, really wasn't trying to paint you one way or other.
More like tryng to give a slight thump to a few others.

Here's the problem imo...you let everyone know what you're up to and it seems some got it all twisted up. From all the public comments tho (not yours) I can understand how some might have got things in error or misunderstood.
So, don't waste time confusing the ignorant.
Just get to work...and hurry it up okay?
:rrunner:

Edited by John Woods, Nov 02 2012 - 05:18 AM.

the line is faster than the foot

V. R. Metaphysical Aesthetics

The Practice Room

#24 Cheapracer

Cheapracer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted Nov 02 2012 - 06:54 AM

Ok Boss, I leally go flast, flaster than my uncle can make flied lice.

#25 robwmack

robwmack

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing, Slot Car Racing, Sim Racing, Hockey, Military History

Posted Nov 03 2012 - 06:35 PM

There are over 500 add-on tracks that have been created for Grand Prix Legends. Then there are the all of the mods and other contributions that have been made by people like Mark. We who have not the ability to create a track or a carset or a mod have spent countless hours enjoying the fruit of their genius and unselfish efforts and we haven't had to pay a cent.

Mark,

Take all the time you need. When you are finished we will once again be blessed with a gift of incredible quality. Your works are immensely appreciated.

Bob Mackenzie

#26 JacnGille

JacnGille

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted Nov 04 2012 - 07:35 PM

View Postrobwmack, on Nov 03 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

There are over 500 add-on tracks that have been created for Grand Prix Legends. Then there are the all of the mods and other contributions that have been made by people like Mark. We who have not the ability to create a track or a carset or a mod have spent countless hours enjoying the fruit of their genius and unselfish efforts and we haven't had to pay a cent.

Mark,

Take all the time you need. When you are finished we will once again be blessed with a gift of incredible quality. Your works are immensely appreciated.

Bob Mackenzie
:thumbup:

#27 dario

dario

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:gpl

Posted Nov 05 2012 - 09:08 AM

well I think what Ginetto did with Zolder and Riverside is amazing. Maybe he should do all the remaining tracks that are missing from the most recent mods, most notably Road America and Road Atlanta

With all due respect, but all other tracks look rather clumsy in comparison to Ginetto's masterpieces

We can all see the difference between Ginetto's Riverside and that other Riverside.

I do not mean to offend anyone I am just telling the truth for the sake of community.

Edited by dario, Nov 05 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#28 s2173

s2173

Skymole

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted Nov 05 2012 - 10:06 AM

View Postdario, on Nov 05 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

well I think what Ginetto did with Zolder and Riverside is amazing. Maybe he should do all the remaining tracks that are missing from the most recent mods, most notably Road America and Road Atlanta

With all due respect, but all other tracks look rather clumsy in comparison to Ginetto's masterpieces

We can all see the difference between Ginetto's Riverside and that other Riverside.

I do not mean to offend anyone I am just telling the truth for the sake of community.

Well, he has done so much for gpl i cant even get my head around it, and im not meaning ot be disrespectful, but criticism can be applied to his tracks too. In particular, I cant really enjoy the new zolder and riverside, because the fps is rather low even with no other cars on track... Maybe the tradeoff for so much eyecandy is ok for some...but I frankly prefer the old riverside and zolder in the current state of things... I am also afraid that the development of the new Spa might go in the same direction... and Spa is one of my favorite tracks.
Who is the living, loving city of people without faces? The elevator is screaming in his claws.

#29 davef

davef

davef

• Members
  • 1,627 posts
  • Interests:Deep-Sky Observing

Posted Nov 05 2012 - 10:28 AM

View Posts2173, on Nov 05 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

I cant really enjoy the new zolder and riverside, because the fps is rather low even with no other cars on track... Maybe the tradeoff for so much eyecandy is ok for some...but I frankly prefer the old riverside and zolder in the current state of things... I am also afraid that the development of the new Spa might go in the same direction... and Spa is one of my favorite tracks.

I also have the same problems with the latest releases. Enna runs perfectly with my computer, but each subsequent track release has gradually
gotten more problematic. The new Donnybrooke is pretty much impossible to race Ai due to the stuttering. I can drive alone perfectely fine at
all the new tracks, so I can still enjoy these masterpieces. Strange the Targa Florio runs well compared to Zolder, Riverside & Donnybrooke on my machine.

Edited by davef, Nov 05 2012 - 10:32 AM.

Dave

#30 Cheapracer

Cheapracer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted Nov 05 2012 - 10:51 AM

View Postdario, on Nov 05 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

Well you are offensive, but that's ok because it comes from your ignorance.

You are comparing a track built 11 years ago with old tools, very little information but most importantly, computers that struggled to run full fields on VROC. the ease of making a track today is mind blowing compared to what we had to hand, I can compile Road America in seconds to check on a change, I could make a cup of tea 11 years ago while a track it's size compiled. Just the other day I used a very old TRK23Dow to run a function new compilers don't have and at first I thought my system had locked up, it really was that slow. When I want to know something about Road America today, I just Google it and have my answer in moments from a large choice of blogs, devoted websites, forums, Youtube etc, etc .... it was nothing like that 11 years ago.

I made that "other Riverside" as did most track builders at the time so people could run with all their friends and groups on VROC on Friday and Saturday nights when there was a line up of tracks and races to be run without stutters and first corner crashes due to those stutters - totally different times to now.

The, in your opinion, "masterpieces", wouldn't have a show of running a Friday night race 10 years ago and since there's not a lot of Friday night activity anymore along with what was a 1999 NASA Space Program spec computer sitting in many homes now then sure, nice looking 1024 x 526 pixel mips will now run smoothly. Back in the day you had to choose very wisely if you were to use a "big" 256 x 256 mip and that's 200kb's compared to 1.5 meg for a 1024 x 512 - and we're not mentioning the mapping used frequently now, we used very elastic mips back then, stretching them as far as we could to keep FPS good. My computer was a rocket back then, a stunning 750mhz Pentium 111 and 256 meg of ram - others were jealous.

Are you aware that many tracks back then were say 3 to  5 meg in size? That's total track size. 5 meg will barely cover a handful of mips in some of the tracks getting around not to mention some of the upgrade packs kicking around.

Solitude was released in 2002 to much acclaim, it was a stunner in it's day but on the borderline of stuttering online - go run it now and see how basic it looks ....

As I said, you are ignorant of a totally different time and totally different expectations of what a GPL track should be and should do.

I think it's amazing you come here and make comment on a track you haven't even seen, I think that's pretty darn rude actually and I'm pretty sure you are embarrassing Ginetto as well but in your quest to serve yourselves that's something you overlook.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links