• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 11 2012 - 10:52 AM

This is my first attempt at modifying AI files. I wanted to race against the computer at Reims and the AI files that came with the track I downloaded were overlooked. I used the 67 F1 cars to make my lines. Gurney and Clark qualify at about 1:59.50 with a npt setting of .95 , which is about the best I can run this course.  

These files could use some more work but they're decent. My lines are not the greatest. Scarfiotti, Brabham, and Parkes have a bad tendency to run wide in the two hairpins. The passing on the long straights could use some improvement. Lapped cars will sometimes cut across in front of you entering the turns. Sometimes the AI cars will ram you real hard going in the hairpins, particularly the one at the end of the long straight. I haven't been able to figure out how to keep the cars from switching from the inside line to the outside line when entering the hairpins. This is unrealistic behavior in most cases but overall doesn't seem to cause too many problems. The GT cars when passing on the straights sometimes will return to the racing line before they have completely passed you thus running you off the road.

In the track.ini file if you set the end start behavior section to section 31 the cars will run three wide into the first turn and will jump onto the race line at the 300m sign before the second turn. This provides more interesting starts and does not cause many if any crashes.

If anybody tries these files and finds them poor in quality please let me know. If nobody gets any use for my AI files I don't want to waste my time uploading them.

I will improve these files over time and eventually post them when I'm done if anybody is interested.

Attached Files

#2 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Auto Racing

Posted Jul 12 2012 - 10:09 PM

Thanks JMF !  :hat-tip:

#3 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted Jul 13 2012 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the files JMF.

Yes, the AI are still somewhat of a mystery on why they do certain things and apparently no amount of tweaking can completely control them.  I've been editing AI files for years now and still run across this.  Apparently, much of the AI behavior is hard coded into the .exe so we can only do so much.

When I did the AI for the Sports Car mod, I did look at Reims, but didn't spend too much time on it as Reims wasn't one of the championship tracks.  Good to see someone else making the effort.

Lee

#4 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Jul 14 2012 - 12:13 PM

View PostLee200, on Jul 13 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

Thanks for the files JMF.

Good to see someone else making the effort.

Lee

You're welcome. It's something I've found I can actually do something with. I've worked on making a new track some but I got a little frustrated so I've set that aside for a while. I'll get back to it eventually. I think I should be able to get the hang of track making after a while.

I've just started to drive tracks that weren't part of the 67 F1 season and 67 GT season. I ran across another track, I can't remember which one now, that the AI was pretty poor too. When I run across it again, I'll make some new files for it. Anybody that wants to tell me other tracks that could use new AI files let me know, and I'll try working on them too.

I've been wondering what effect the yaw might have on which pass line the AI chooses to use. I haven't begun to experiment with it yet but I will soon. IIRC, the help file with AIEdit says the pass1 and pass2 files don't use any flags. Is this true? I've just pasted the flags from the race file into the pass files. If the flags in the pass files are used I think I might be able to vary the flags in the pass files to make more improvements.

I appreciate the thanks and any help or suggestions anyone has.

#5 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Jul 14 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostJMF, on Jul 14 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

I've been wondering what effect the yaw might have on which pass line the AI chooses to use. I haven't begun to experiment with it yet but I will soon. IIRC, the help file with AIEdit says the pass1 and pass2 files don't use any flags. Is this true? I've just pasted the flags from the race file into the pass files. If the flags in the pass files are used I think I might be able to vary the flags in the pass files to make more improvements.

The race.lp has all the flags for the decision making. It is pointless to use flags in the pass lines but your welcome to try it ;) For improvements on ai you need to play with long straight flags, passing lines offsets, start/end/outbreak flags, track.ini settings etc..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links