paul_villiers

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hi Micke,

well done with the rank.. keep up the good work.

I find that so long as you keep enjoying it then improvement comes all of its own in good time.

as for being a newbie, why not try the UKGPL leagues. we have some great races for novices and everyones very friendly and helpful.

http://www.ukgpl.com/

http://www.simracing...oup=386&theme=6

Paul V.

#17 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 01:17 PM

Well done Micke  :bravo:welcome to the nuthouse :drive1:

#18 Larko29

Larko29

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 01:51 PM

Great read Micke

Everyone has their own goals to provide the challenge, after nearly 7 years GPL continues to offer all the challeng and enjoyment I need.

Look forward to hearing of your further progress.

Craig

#19 Jarhead

Jarhead

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Driving f1 simulators, racing,

Posted Feb 24 2013 - 06:12 AM

Hey fellas, I'm new at all this stuff, I just made an account on gpl ranks and can't understand anything. It says the world record in Kylami is 1:17,257 with the Lotus and then when I click on details about Kylami it says this: Lap Record 1:11.210 Record Holder Stewart Grove (TC Oil Star)

I know, I know, read the FAQ, but I still don't understand a lot of stuff over there.

Oh and are these times any good?

Rouen: 2:00.43
Watkins Glen: 1,07,38
Kylami: 1:22,01

Thank you, if anybody wishes to add me on gpl ranks, Velimir Magaš is the name.

#20 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Feb 24 2013 - 04:35 PM

The 1:17 is the record time for the 67 cars, while the 1:11 could the overall record as it seems to be set using the Thundercars (TC) which are the fastest cars we have.

Your times look fine you are about one second away from the benchmark times. You can see how your times compare to others by going to Show My Ranks\choose a rank\show relative rankings for full ranks. If you want only compare laptimes for certain tracks go to the "Multiple Choice Hell" choose a track/car combination and click statistics.

#21 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Feb 24 2013 - 10:27 PM

Good micke! I usually do the same. Compare myself with the "next buddy" on the rank.
It's frustrating trying to compete directly against phil woodward, lol.

In this time did you try to join some online league? That's very good for a quick improvement in the driving. At least it was for me.

Cheers. Marcos

#22 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Feb 24 2013 - 10:33 PM

Hehe. Paul villiers already invited you. Ukgpl is an excellent league to race!

I race in mybroga, which is as good too.

Cheers, marcos

#23 Jarhead

Jarhead

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted Feb 25 2013 - 03:38 AM

Thanks for explaining that to me. Could you tell me one more thing. I'm only driving the GPL, didn't install any mods... Do I have to make a lap time in every track to get a place in the rankings. Because when I go to my 'country rankings' I can't see myself anywhere...?

I didn't join any online league. I am still figuring out how does gpl ranking work with all the handicaps and stuff. But I am very interested in playing online! :)

One more question, do I have to upload a replay of my times?

#24 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Feb 25 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostJarhead, on Feb 25 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

....... Do I have to make a lap time in every track to get a place in the rankings. Because when I go to my 'country rankings' I can't see myself anywhere...?

The first, basic rank that you should aim to get is the "GPLRank", and to achieve that you need to do at least one lap at all of the eleven standard GPL circuits. You can mix the cars up any way you want, so you may do some laps with the Lotus, some with the Brabham and so on. But you must have a time at each of the eleven tracks. After doing that, when you upload your player.ini file, you will see the GPLRank site work out your GPLRank score, and then that will be used to include you in the 'country rankings' list.

(If you complete laps at all of the eleven tracks, with all seven cars, that is known as the "monster of GPLRank".)

I didn't join any online league. I am still figuring out how does gpl ranking work with all the handicaps and stuff. But I am very interested in playing online! :)

I'm not an expert at league racing, but usually each league has its own rules about working out time handicaps and points to allow all levels of drivers to enjoy themselves. Some leagues don't use handicapping though, so you'll just have to practice and get faster if you want to finish higher up.

One more question, do I have to upload a replay of my times?

To get your times on GPLRank, you only have to upload your player.ini file. The only time that the GPLRank site will ask you to upload an actual replay, is if you break a world record time at a track. An admin will then check your replay to make sure you haven't "cheated" by taking short cuts at the corners, or by riding on armco barriers. If your replay passes, you will be the new world record holder.

Edited by Saiph, Feb 25 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#25 Jarhead

Jarhead

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted Feb 26 2013 - 04:09 AM

Ok, thank you Saiph, you really cleared the air for me here. I understand everything now. :)

#26 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Music & Guitar playing
    Hockey, golf, F1 & downhill skiing
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Feb 26 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hi Jarhead,

Quite a "beginner" at GPLRank as well but very soon I found out how fun it is to interact with the material there.

As already said you do not need to upload any replay. Go to the "Submit My Times" and if you only run the original 67 mod you browse to the subfolder with the name corresponding to the name you have as a driver and upload the player.ini file. If you later decide to install a couple of MODs you have to add one driver (with altered name) for each MOD and subfolders to those will be available as well. In my case I use the 69X and 67GT MODs. Important to know is that when you upload times you have to do it to the driver in the MOD you recently did a new record. All subfolders will contain all player.ini -files so it's just 67 season that relates to the player.ini and the other mods have altered names for the correct ini-file. Those ini-files are named as some variant of player and the MOD name. I'm not at the game computer right now so I don't remember exactly, I guess you know when you see it.If you for example upload player.ini from your 69X driver folder GPLRank will read the times from 67 and perhaps put in wrong time to the season you intended. But you can correct this by uploading the right file and upload again.

Another great department is the "107%". See http://en.wikipedia....ing#107.25_rule for some explanation of the concept. From there you can compare (within all MODs you've done laps on all tracks) your laptimes with the benchmark laptimes. You will see in percent how far from the benchmark your times are and as soon as you beat the benchmark time you will get a green bar pointing to the left. To "go green" within a MOD is when all the bars are green and pointing to the left. From this screen you can compare what tracks you have to put extra laps on (your "worst" track has a red bar) and fight to lower them.

The very same 107% is perfect when you, as I mentioned, pic a buddy with a slighltly better rank than you and compare his/hers times on all tracks with yours. To do that you first copy the drivers name from the total rank (Show my ranks), then click "Find" to the right of "no driver selected", paste the name in the following screen and "Search". Then you click on the name and next on "Show data". You will see a 107% screen where your times are compared to the other players. This way I train on the tracks until I've beaten all the buddys times, then I find another driver to "challenge". Very fun and effective to both alter tracks and get better.
My small tip to get a lot of fun.

And I will go back here and check out the leagues other posters here have suggested - later on. But as Jarhead I try to pass a lot of browsing and reading and try to ask direct quests with a hope of some helpful answers:

I prefer not to involve a lot of tracks outside the seasons I drive as well as I prefer to drive the same car within each season (Lotus in 67, Matra in 69X and Mirage in GT). Yet anyhow. I've checked out a couple of leagues and find that it differs a lot regarding cars and tracks. Anyone that know about leagues that limit the races to tracks within the seasons and makes it possible to drive your prefered car? If there is one, and one that welcomes rookies like me with just one green track (but close to benchmark on the others) I will try it for sure. Driving live with others would be great fun! Otherwise I stay with the AI's until I'm more compatable :).

But right now I have abstinence :( . First my G25 Shifter broke down and I have to use paddle-shifting, then a No signal message and no screen at all. Have to solve this soon. I really miss my daily relaxation at the wheel even if not a week has passed since... Hope to get on track soon enough! :)

Edited by MickeK, Feb 26 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#27 Jarhead

Jarhead

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted Feb 26 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hey MickeK,

Thanks for the explanation! :) I'm currently only driving the original 67 GPL, I think that untill I master it I should stick with 67 GPL. Today, I finally set lap times for all the tracks! I'm 7095th in the world but I've got some bad times that I just set to see where am I in the world. I really need to lower my times in spa, nordschleife, silverstone, zandvoort and monaco.

Mickek, did you try to drive online? I'm dying to try it? do we have to get into a league or can we just do a casual race?

Edited by Jarhead, Feb 26 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#28 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Music & Guitar playing
    Hockey, golf, F1 & downhill skiing
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Feb 27 2013 - 01:51 AM

Let's say I aiming to take it online. But...

Started take it a bit serious (just because its so fun) last autumn and you're closing in on me already ;) . At the moment I'm in the low 6000 and just broke the first benchmark time (Silverstone). And those cicuits you mention will reward you as theres a lot of seconds to cut, especially the Ring.

I will try to get a bit better before I try to contact some of the leagues. Have no more experince of them than checking out a couple of links. If I find one I have enough skill to compete (at least a bit) I maybe try it soon. Have never even tried to connect.

I think it's wise to limit yourself to the original 67's to start with. I guess it depends how much time you're able to spend with GPL. To me it was temptating to test a few of the others with relation to seasons I followed as a teen. I now mix them in just a little to get a bit of variation and they are very fun to discover as well. Differnt kind of driving and wonderful cars and tracks to explore. But the original 67's is the "benchmark" of driving GPL in some way. Nervous cars but when you get into having them in control at speed they really are my first choice. The latest historical update puts an extra feel graphic "edge" to the driving as well as you do the races with the cars and drivers from back then.

Have a nice driving :)

My postings so far has made me Jimmy Clark (my old idol). Guess I'll have to stop post so it stays that way. Nice together with the pic ;).

Edited by MickeK, Feb 27 2013 - 01:56 AM.

#29 Jarhead

Jarhead

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted Feb 28 2013 - 04:33 AM

I broke the benchmark only on Watkins Glen. Silverstone is an awesome track, I thought it'd be dull, but it turned out to be awesome! :) I added you on my buddy list. I contacted a few leagues and got into one, just have to connect in the right time because it's an American league. But I'll still wait a few more weeks till I get better with the AI and then conquer the league :P hahahaa

Yeah, untill I master the 67 GPL I won't do any mods. These old F1 cars are like rabid beasts. Much harder to control them then the cars in F1 2012.

Whenever Jimmy Clark passes, I feel like I'm going backwars lol

Well, I'm off, have to break more benchmark times.

#30 Jarhead

Jarhead

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted Mar 01 2013 - 12:14 PM

Hey, two more questions, whats the difference between relative rankings and rankings. Relative rankings show that my rank is: 6420 and just rankings show my rank at: 6341.

What does 'relative' mean in 'show my ranks'?

I just can't break the benchmark at Monza, Kylami and Zandvoort. Those are tracks that I mostly drive at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links