Improving Performance On Asus Laptop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted May 15 2012 - 05:02 AM

Hi all,

I'm in the process of transferring to running GPL on the laptop rather than on my 15 year old dinosaur PC, in the hope of getting some extra eye candy, although GPL still runs really well on the old PC, which I'm still confused about considering it's age! However, I figured with everything four times the size and speed of my old PC GPL should be able to run even more smooth on the laptop.

I started with a clean sheet of paper, so rather than copying over my PC GPL install, I used the original GPL disc combined with the GPLPS all in one installer. I got it to work in one go which was great, but performance was rather lacking. It wasn't poor, but still it didn't run as wel as on my old PC. I proceded to install the V2 rasters but even after fiddling with the settings I can't get any more performance out of them (OpenGL or D3D), although I'm glad I've gotten rid of the menu distortion (old PC runs on D3D V1).

I'm unsure what more I can do to increase the performance. I find it mindboggling that GPL runs better on my old PC than on my new laptop, so I figured there must be something I overlooked, as I expected much better performance from my laptop.

Specs:

Laptop ASUS X73E
Windows 7 service pack 1
Physical Memory 4008 MB
Graphics Memory 1696 MB
Processor Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor speed 2294 MHz
Graphics Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000

PC: (Can't remember all details)

Windows XP service pack 3
Graphics Memory 512 MB
Processor AMD Athlon 64
Processor speed 1200 MHz
Graphics card nVidia Geforce 5200 FX

Om my old PC I can run Monaco Rocks with 36 fps all round, troubles only start when there are more than 3 or 4 cars in view. On my laptop I run the same track with 31 fps down the front stretch, then 36 fps all the way down to the tunnel, where fps drops to 24 fps untill I've passed the chicane. When I start a race from the back of the grid I get 11 fps.

What can I do to increase performance?

Tommie.

#2 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:GPl natuurlijk .... what else !
    And Projectcars perhaps !
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted May 15 2012 - 06:01 AM

Hallo TVO ,

I see we have almost the same power regards laptop ( i have Hp ) , i to i have Windows 7 but without the first service pack .
I have a ATI card and run GPL under Direct 3Dv2 .
Don't forget that if you run Pribluda with everything on at Monaco Rocks you will have stutterings if you start from the back of the pack and at some points in the beginning of the race also a dropdown of fps when there are many cars .
Now lets go to what i really wanted to know that is ...... TVo , can you check if go to " source control " , than click on " controle " , than on " select processor " that ALL PROCESSORS " are on ( see picture to ) ? ..... it is only a idea .

greets  :hat-tip:

Edited by svenvangent, May 15 2012 - 06:04 AM.

#3 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 06:34 AM

TvO, do you have the "Disable Intel Speedstep" box ticked in GEM?

#4 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted May 15 2012 - 07:22 AM

Hi Sven and Yngwie,
I can confirm I've got all processors on (I've got 4) and that I've checked the box to disable Intel Speedstep in GEM. I've also removed the exe to allow Gem to build me a new one, to make sure it has indeed disabled Speedstep. I don't have Pribluda installed so that can't be the problem of my bogged down performance issues. Thanks for your help regardless :) .

Tommie.

Edited by TvO, May 15 2012 - 07:24 AM.

#5 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,703 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 15 2012 - 09:44 AM

Tommie, hi there :)
I would bet it's the Intel integrated graphics. The Intel HD 3000 as well as maybe some not so intelligent GPU clock down because GPL dx8 is not detected so the Intel GPU thinks you are still in 2D mode for desktop stuff.

#6 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,159 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 12:06 PM

I had a little trouble getting good framerates in GPL with my new computer but it seems that the graphics card settings, which are confusing, made a big difference.  See the thread at http://srmz.net/inde...topic=6459&st=0 for recommendations for an nVidia card at least.  

I don't know if that graphics chip has all those options, but it certainly looks like the weak link in terms of performance in games.

#7 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography.

Posted May 15 2012 - 02:23 PM

I have an older PC, but also with an integrated NVIDIA graphics card (an earlier one).  

I thought that this cardwas not capable of being adjusted, but I then found that by going into Control Panel I could modify the card for 'Performance', entering by the ikon named "NVIDIA Control Panel" which had not taken my attention before.  This improved things.  

Try playing with the adjustments toward the performance end, that may help .

#8 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted May 16 2012 - 05:25 AM

Problem solved! Thanks guys for all your help.

After reading Bernds, Bob's and Paddy's posts, I figured the culprit must be the graphics card. Before I bought this laptop, I researched the performance of the Intel HD graphics card relative to other cards, and found it to be acceptable enough (comparable to nVidia cards in the 8000 range) for me to buy the laptop. Therefore I posted this thread here as I had good hopes of increasing the performance initially lacking. After messing around with some settings in the Intel control panel, which made the image look worse but didn't give me much fps in return, I simply googled "Intel HD graphics performance increase". I came across this YouTube video:

It mentioned I should look into updating my drivers. So I followed the instructions in the video, untill I ran across Intel's Driver Update Utility for graphics (http://www.intel.com...detect/graphics). I let the utility run instead (it runs from the website, you don't have to download anything) and downloaded and installed the driver the utility recommended after letting it run.

I tried a lap around Monaco Rocks and all is well! 36 fps all round. I get around 18 fps now at the back of a full grid (was 11) and it clears up after a second or two, and after the first corner I get a solid 36 fps, except for the rundown to the hairpin and the tunnel, but the fps never drops below 30.

So you've made me a happy man! Thanks all for the help, hope this will help other people with frame rate problems too.

Tommie.

Edited by TvO, May 16 2012 - 05:26 AM.

#9 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted May 16 2012 - 05:32 AM

Interesting find, TvO.  Glad you got it sorted.  :thumbup:

View PostBernd Nowak, on May 15 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

Tommie, hi there :)
I would bet it's the Intel integrated graphics. The Intel HD 3000 as well as maybe some not so intelligent GPU clock down because GPL dx8 is not detected so the Intel GPU thinks you are still in 2D mode for desktop stuff.

Hi Bernd,

I haven't seen you around for a long while.  Good to see you here again.  :hat-tip:

Dave

#10 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,703 posts

Posted May 16 2012 - 08:41 AM

Hi Dave, yeah a long time has passed ;)
Tommie, I really love the Intel autodetect utility to help updating drivers on notebooks :)

#11 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted May 16 2012 - 08:55 AM

View PostBernd Nowak, on May 16 2012 - 08:41 AM, said:

Tommie, I really love the Intel autodetect utility to help updating drivers on notebooks :)

Yeah that utility works great! Now I was a 100 % sure I got the right drivers for my system.

#12 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted May 16 2012 - 10:26 AM

Nice you tube snippet thanks Tvo  :hat-tip: Use the gamebooster 3 myself and its pretty cool thing :rolleyes:
Hi and hello Bernd not heard from you here for awhile but nice to see your still about  :yinyang:

#13 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,703 posts

Posted May 16 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostTvO, on May 16 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

View PostBernd Nowak, on May 16 2012 - 08:41 AM, said:

Yeah that utility works great! Now I was a 100 % sure I got the right drivers for my system.

Haven't thought that you may not have the actual drivers  :rofl:

#14 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted Aug 12 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hello. I have an integrated intel HD card in a laptop with i5 processor. I have good fps for most of the times, but I have minifreezes when somebody chats or connects and disconnects while I'm driving.
I feel this issue appeared when I updated my graphical drivers, but I'm not sure about it.

Did somebody have similar problems and could fix them?

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

Marcos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links