• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:GPL, GTR2, Music
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 14 2013 - 10:32 AM

View Posthagapito40, on Sep 14 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

Hi guys!
I made another alternative sound for the Lotus 33...it´s just a beta so if some of you want to test it your opinion will be welcome!
Just one important note: since the engine sounds sometimes are altered by the wind sound is important to use this sound with the default wind sound, so if you use another rename it before the test. Also this sound have bass enough so don't need bass reinforcement.
And remember back up first!
Tell me what you think!

Have just tried and i like more than the default one. But i couldn't tell you if it's accurate because i haven't found a sound sample of the original Lotus 33. I guess it should sound similar to the lotus 25 but not sure. Anyway :thankyou:, i'll keep using yours :)

#17 hagapito40

hagapito40

On the search...

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Classic Racing History, Modeling in 3ds Max and of course RACING!
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 14 2013 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for your answer Turbo!. Yes, sound like 25!

i haven't found a sound sample of the original Lotus 33.

neither do I :(

so i only have a 25 for reference...

Edited by hagapito40, Sep 14 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#18 TurboMan

TurboMan

Jim Clark - Gilles Villeneuve - Tazio Nuvolari

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted Sep 16 2013 - 02:44 AM

Hi hagapito, i found that both Lotus 25 and 33 used Coventry Climax FWMV V8 at 90º (MkII in the 33). The specs of both engines are almost the same. The sound of that engine should be very similar, although the sound also depends of other things (exhaust layout,...). So, at the moment, a Lotus 25 sample is a good way to emulate the sound.

Some more info
http://www.ultimatec...-25-Climax.html
http://www.ultimatec...-33-Climax.html

#19 simmer

simmer

simmer

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:sim racing photography

Posted Sep 16 2013 - 01:22 PM

Thank you for these 65 sounds....finally.. :up:

#20 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor

Posted Aug 19 2015 - 12:52 PM

View PostTurboMan, on Sep 16 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

Hi hagapito, i found that both Lotus 25 and 33 used Coventry Climax FWMV V8 at 90º (MkII in the 33). The specs of both engines are almost the same. The sound of that engine should be very similar, although the sound also depends of other things (exhaust layout,...). So, at the moment, a Lotus 25 sample is a good way to emulate the sound.

Some more info
http://www.ultimatec...-25-Climax.html
http://www.ultimatec...-33-Climax.html

I don't want to be the know-it-all here, but that's just wrong.

According to "Coventry Climax Racing Engines - The ultimate developing History" by Des Hammill (here: https://books.google...8C&num=19&hl=it ) and "1-1/2 Litre Grand Prix racing: Low Power, High Tech" by Mark Whitelock (here: https://books.google...epage&q&f=false ), the situation was more like this:

-LOTUS 33: Powered by Coventry Climax FWMV Mk VI (only one produced, 32 valves, although there were pieces to build three more): it ran up to 10'500 RPM, but the top power was 212 BHP @ 10'300 RPM, with top torque being 119 lb/ft @  8000 RPM. The closest specs (and, therefore, the closest sound with the same pipe layout), would be the Brabham BT11 as used in the British GP, with the FWMV MK VII (32Valves, practically same specs but a +1BHP at the same RPM but 115 lb/ft @ 8000 RPM ).
-LOTUS 25: Powered by Coventry Climax FWMV MK 4 (10 in total: 6 refurbished MK3 and 4 new proper MK4, 16 valves): they ran up to 10'000 rpm, with top BHP being 200 BHP @ 9500 RPM, with top torque being 117 lb/ft @ 8000 RPM. It powered also the BT7 and the "High-piped" BT11, so, once got one of those cars, you can basically plaster it to all the cars that used that exhaust layout and that engine. (Lotus 25, BT7, BT11, Cooper T73, T77).

Little known fact it was that the FWMVs, from MK5 and onwards, were always affected by an oil pump failure or some leaking in the oil ducts: famous case is the 1965 British GP, won by Jim Clark, in which he said openly o his mechanics that he had to turn off the engine when taking the bends to not overheat it, because oil was leaking all over the place.

Coventry Climax had the not-so-good-performance-wise idea to take, at the end of the racing year, the remains of the unsold engines and refurbish them with the specs of the new engines being produced: for example, in 1962, they produced 16 FWMV Mk 2 V8 engines. 8 were sold, but 8 remained: so they were updated to the MK3 specs (195 BHP @ 9500 RPM and 118 ft-lb @ 8000 RPM) in 1963. In 1964, all the unsold MK3 (just 6 this time) were upgraded and resold as MK4 along the proper MK4s.

Edited by Lord, Aug 19 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#21 TurboMan

TurboMan

Jim Clark - Gilles Villeneuve - Tazio Nuvolari

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted Aug 20 2015 - 09:48 AM

Oops. Thanks for correcting that Lord. TBH, i don't know much about engines, so i probably misread something when i searched that.

#22 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor

Posted Aug 20 2015 - 01:17 PM

Don't worry TurboMan: it's okay :)

#23 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted Jan 21 2018 - 09:57 AM

View Posthagapito40, on Sep 14 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

Hi guys!
I made another alternative sound for the Lotus 33...it´s just a beta so if some of you want to test it your opinion will be welcome!
Just one important note: since the engine sounds sometimes are altered by the wind sound is important to use this sound with the default wind sound, so if you use another rename it before the test. Also this sound have bass enough so don't need bass reinforcement.
And remember back up first!

Attachment l33.wav

Tell me what you think!

I just found this, very nice sound, thank you! Sounds great on my system :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links