Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 07:10 AM

I'm just wondering... here's a little quote from a different topic:

View PostM Needforspeed, on Feb 24 2012 - 03:32 AM, said:

...You just install the 60fpsaiv1 patch, and all the  65 cars will have it higher, though still bearable to look at them.And for once, you 'll take advantage of the 60 fps.

And here's my point: the 60fps really is an advantage! It's so much easier on the eyes than the 36fps (especially at long distances) and (for me) it's easier to drive more accurate.
Plus: it just looks so much nicer when liquid :) We've got car- track- and modupdates by so many gifted people like Ginetto, Jackseller, Laechele etc. which really gain from more fps, why watching them as a flip-book?

Is it about hardware? But if it is so: here's more threads about getting GPL running on temporary hardware (including Macs!) and OSs than too high system requirements.

To make it clear: I don't try to start a flamewar :) ; I'm just curious why so many (including new leagues) prefer 36fps. Is it about hardware, personal philosophy, analysis tools not working on 60fps?

#2 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 08:37 AM

From my point of view, with my equipment I am finding it difficult, if not impossible, to get it running consistently at 36fps even with small fields :-(  '60fps' delivers an occasional 40+fps on my laptop

#3 Pavel

Pavel

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 09:21 AM

I use 36 fps because of AI.

#4 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

• Members
  • 593 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends, Formula 1, Music, Anime.

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 09:21 AM

I always drive on 36 fps, because I never take the time to download it. Next, I'm driving GPLRACER, which requires no 60fps patch.
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it. Please do not cure me."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#5 Kanzo

Kanzo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 09:31 AM

Heresy! GPL is meant to be played on 36 fps because it was made that way! Why change something if it´s not broken?! Anyway, our eyes cannot see the difference anyway (36 fps is a LOT more than in movies!) AND it´s breaking our community. All you 60 fps hooligans, get back to where you belong! Is this stupid patch authorized by Kaemmer anyway??? :frown:

:whistling:

:muttley:

#6 rcb

rcb

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 73 posts

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 09:39 AM

My hardware can easily run 60fps and I don't use it.  I don't care for the "feel" of driving GPL with the 60fps patch, plus I primarily race the AI.

Curt

#7 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,769 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 09:57 AM

To be honest. I don't see any difference. My system runs just as smooth with 36fps, and the AI aren't freaking out.

Don't fix what isn't broken.
When i'm sliding. I'm smiling Posted Image

#8 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 10:43 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Feb 24 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

To be honest. I don't see any difference. My system runs just as smooth with 36fps, and the AI aren't freaking out.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

ditto

If 60 fps patch worked properly I would consider it, but it don't so no contest.

paul

#9 DRat

DRat

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Model Railroading
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 11:09 AM

I find the 60fps patches to be great visually, and it really does make a difference when you are right on the edge, to have a few more milliseconds of visual feedback.  But the AI does not work right and I do almost exclusively offline racing, so at 36fps it stays...
GPL: Still amazing after all these years ....

#10 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,970 posts
  • Interests:cxxvcxcx

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 11:14 AM

the same here i stick with the 36 fps because of the AI  :hat-tip:

Edited by svenvangent, Feb 24 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#11 Mark Uribe

Mark Uribe

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 11:56 AM

Just because something can be done, doesn't necessarily mean that it should. Especially if it doesn't work 100% properly.

I also agree that 60fps does nothing but splinter the community. Can't wait for the v1 supporters to start having a go at the v2 supporters. I can hear it now, 'Bloody v2 users. Splitters.'

#12 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostMark Uribe, on Feb 24 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

Just because something can be done, doesn't necessarily mean that it should. Especially if it doesn't work 100% properly.

I also agree that 60fps does nothing but splinter the community. Can't wait for the v1 supporters to start having a go at the v2 supporters. I can hear it now, 'Bloody v2 users. Splitters.'

I think you haven't seen the invisible 'irony'-tags at Kanzo's post.

Secondly this thread is the first time I hear the 60fps don't work properly apart from AI.

#13 roberto teso

roberto teso

Lifetime in a day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:a lot more

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 12:41 PM

Why criticize something if you can choose?

Personally love 60fps patch, if you have a capable system you can experience a new level of... driving precision, detail and smoothness, our (artificial simulated) car feeling change in a radical way, a real step ahead. For now I race in a league where 36fps is required, so I stay here even when testing, to recreate the (almost) same feeling as in race.

If you love to drive offline with ai, stay on 36fps, nobody hurt or blame you.

And about rights, no one addon was "autorized" by no one, but if you modify a program to do something that was not intendend to from original programmers and don't break law rules, what did you have to complain to?

So, if you dislike a moddable program buy another and call for refund, if you dislike a mod, don't install and don't use it, but please, do not blame who spend his time to the benefit of others, try to use your time for anything else.
rt

#14 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 12:51 PM

I've never jumped on the FPS bandwagon in any game.  We've been satisfied with 24fps for movies and 30fps for TV (in the US), yet we argue over one computer getting 48fps in a game vs another getting 62fps;  yes it proves one computer is faster than the other, but is that game actually performing any better?  According to the fps display in N2k3 I'm getting around 110fps, yet it neither looks nor performs any better than on my old W95 system where it seldom topped 40fps.  In other games, such as MS FlightSim, which allow you to cap the max fps, limiting the frame rate frees up processor power for running higher res or adding more detail (a high res screen at 30fps is preferable, to me at least, to a low res screen at 60fps).

In GPL I never bothered with the 60fps patch because 36fps works just fine ...AND because the patch is not 100% compatible across the board with all mods and I don't want to try remembering to enable it one time and disable it another.

#15 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted Feb 24 2012 - 12:56 PM

View Postjgf, on Feb 24 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

...AND because the patch is not 100% compatible across the board with all mods

Well, it is, just depends on v1 or v2 ;)

View Postjgf, on Feb 24 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

and I don't want to try remembering to enable it one time and disable it another.

Using GEM and different Profiles for the mods (as recommended) you don't have too ;)

OK, I don't want to convince anyone, just to point out there seem to be some misunderstandings about the 60 frames.

So the conclusion seems to be: the majority of people don't use it because they prefer racing against the AI?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links