JohnWB

JohnWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 16 2012 - 03:25 AM

I have Saitek R440 wheel which works well except it startrs to shudder when i click the start a run button and feels like it is twitching all the time.

When I am cornering it is not to bad but still a bit jerky but worse on the straights.

I have recalibrated the wheel & looked at the settings in GEM+ but do not realy know what they do.

Can anyone recommend what i should do to make it smoother even if that means less force feedback(plenty now.

#2 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted Feb 16 2012 - 04:07 AM

Try brr's force feedback update.

I don't know the options in the Saitek driver, but have a look if you can turn the centering spring and damping effect to zero.

Ed: had a quick look via Google Pictures ;)
Go to 'gain Settings', first slider to 100%, all others to 0%

Edited by Yngwie, Feb 16 2012 - 04:11 AM.

#3 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Feb 16 2012 - 04:57 AM

Perhaps one possible explanation for twitching is "spiking" in the steering wheel in combination with centering spring. A worn pot might cause the steering wheel to report rapidly changing position of the wheel, and centering spring force would then twitch. This is just a guess since I don't use centering in FFB so have not experienced it myself. Should be easy to test by switching ffb off and watching the virtual wheel for signs of spiking.

#4 JohnWB

JohnWB

JohnWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted Feb 16 2012 - 05:10 AM

View PostYngwie, on Feb 16 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

I don't know the options in the Saitek driver, but have a look if you can turn the centering spring and damping effect to zero.

Thanks for that,

I will give the gain settings a try tonight & also the brr update & see how they go.

I will still keep looking as I would like to know what the vaious settings do.

#5 isamu

isamu

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted Feb 16 2012 - 08:53 AM

brr your ffb patch is great! But I got a quick question...is it possible to increase the effects from the track surface, such as bumps, dirt, grass, etc? I guess I'm just looking for more rumble/vibration in my wheel from the road surface. Any way to increase this and still get the wonderful steering ffb from your patch?

#6 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Feb 16 2012 - 09:05 AM

View Postisamu, on Feb 16 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

brr your ffb patch is great! But I got a quick question...is it possible to increase the effects from the track surface, such as bumps, dirt, grass, etc? I guess I'm just looking for more rumble/vibration in my wheel from the road surface. Any way to increase this and still get the wonderful steering ffb from your patch?

The ffb is "real ffb" in the sense that there are no canned effects, just the forces resulting from front tyre lateral forces. GPL uses some sort of random bumps on the track surface which are somewhat subtle on the actual track but much more evident on some off-track surfaces. Only way to modify the ffb strength as you describe would be to modify the track surface itself.

#7 JohnWB

JohnWB

JohnWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted Feb 16 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostJohnWB, on Feb 16 2012 - 05:10 AM, said:

View PostYngwie, on Feb 16 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

Thanks for that,

I will give the gain settings a try tonight & also the brr update & see how they go.

I will still keep looking as I would like to know what the vaious settings do.

Well I had a go at the various settings & it now more like it should be.

I will keep making small adjustments but at least I can drive with it

#8 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 16 2012 - 03:43 PM

I use an R440 and have had no stutturing in GPL, though experienced it strongly in GTR2 and GTL (changing the effects setting from full to high cured that).  I've been satisfied with my settings of latency=0, damping=250, force=200;  no wrist snapping forces but a good feel.  I tried the ffb patch, with its recommended settings and with a couple of days' tweaking, but I actually seemed to have less ffb with that and found no settings I was happy with.

#9 JohnWB

JohnWB

JohnWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted Feb 17 2012 - 02:27 AM

View Postjgf, on Feb 16 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

I use an R440 and have had no stutturing in GPL, though experienced it strongly in GTR2 and GTL (changing the effects setting from full to high cured that).  I've been satisfied with my settings of latency=0, damping=250, force=200;  no wrist snapping forces but a good feel.  I tried the ffb patch, with its recommended settings and with a couple of days' tweaking, but I actually seemed to have less ffb with that and found no settings I was happy with.

Thanks for that, it's good to get feedback (he he) from another R440 owner.

I will try those settings tonight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links