ducwolf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Ducati riding,GPL, GPL sounds, GTP, guitar
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 05 2013 - 09:03 AM

Thx very much for the links ! Honda is known to me, but the Cooper V12 recordings are new to me.
You might also know the videos of the RA 272. Here is one that may show the difference between the
extern sound impression and what the driver will hear.
A Honda RA 272 driven by Dario Franchitti with sound recording in the cockpit

#92 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Music & Light!

Posted Oct 05 2013 - 09:28 AM

View Postducwolf, on Oct 05 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Thx very much for the links ! Honda is known to me, but the Cooper V12 recordings are new to me.
You might also know the videos of the RA 272. Here is one that may show the difference between the
extern sound impression and what the driver will hear.
A Honda RA 272 driven by Dario Franchitti with sound recording in the cockpit

Yes, an interesting and helpful video again, the ra272. The challenge I think comes perhaps with the personal choices made in how to consider what the sounds for GPL cars should include (incorporate).

With the pure onboard sound where a racing car is being driven forward at speed the sound from the exhausts is ejected at speed behind and away from the car (and recording microphone and driver) so you are left more with just the metallic sound of the engine components working away. In this video you posted, right at the end you hear what is apparently again an onboard recording of the engine being revved but this time with the car in a seemingly static position. On this occasion you can hear much more of the exhaust note or 'song' if you prefer, along with the engine workings and this for me is what is special about engine sounds, the engine's exhaust 'song'. Each unique to each engine and the design of exhaust used. My own personal preference which would give me more enjoyment (and for others their preferences may be different) would be to have more of the exhaust 'song' or note within the pure mechanical sound of the engine components working even though in realistic terms this may be heard slightly less by a driver 'onboard' when driving at speed. Using more of the exhaust sounds adds more overall character and uniqueness to each sound and because the GPL exe is so limited in producing sounds within GPL, this is again another reason why I would argue in favour of such a choice of approach.

I hope I explain my thoughts well and again interested to hear your sentiments Wolfgang, thanks.

Duncan

#93 ducwolf

ducwolf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted Oct 06 2013 - 07:10 AM

It was always my aproach making sounds with a mixture of the cockpit sound  a n d  the exhaust noises. But there is another most important feature that makes
a huge part of any car sound: The intake noises. They are definatly the loudest part of the engine sound and may not be missed for a complete result.
GPL sound exe with one single sound wav needs this mixture because also the cars around You in GPL must sound good. The opponent cars should be heared only as extern
sounds, but GPL doesn't split into onboard and extern noises. Even if it is possible to create a wav with excellent cockpit noises, the cars around would sound
cheap and the whole sound immersion will be poor. That's why I totaly agree with You and always tried to mix those three features of an engine sound.

My fascination for the engine sounds let me work on it since 2002 and I got a lot of experiences and many impressions of the sounds from countless
recordings by myself as well as hundreds ( or thousands !? ) of videos that are available since f.e. YouTube is online.
So I heared cars / engines in many different ways. Extern and intern, with different methods of recording and qualities. Meanwhile I am pretty sure about the
real sound character of most cars we have in GPL and the way they should be mixed to respect the right mixture of the above mentioned sound features and the relation
between in- and ex sound.
And I'm also sure that a real good recording will show that the driver hears all parts of the sound, even if the relation will be with a little overweight for
mechanical noises and intake sound. For example hear the Ferrari 312 1966 onboard Mike Parkes at Monza:

I will say I agree with Your oppinion and try to create wav files with the best possible emphasis of mechanical - , exhaust - and airbox noises.
But believe me it is some kind of "squaring the circle" with one single wav for on- and offload, in and extern and the rev range from idle to the rev peak.

Edited by ducwolf, Oct 06 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#94 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted Oct 06 2013 - 12:40 PM

View Postducwolf, on Oct 06 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

It was always my aproach making sounds with a mixture of the cockpit sound  a n d  the exhaust noises. But there is another most important feature that makes
a huge part of any car sound: The intake noises. They are definatly the loudest part of the engine sound and may not be missed for a complete result.
GPL sound exe with one single sound wav needs this mixture because also the cars around You in GPL must sound good. The opponent cars should be heared only as extern
sounds, but GPL doesn't split into onboard and extern noises. Even if it is possible to create a wav with excellent cockpit noises, the cars around would sound
cheap and the whole sound immersion will be poor. That's why I totaly agree with You and always tried to mix those three features of an engine sound.

My fascination for the engine sounds let me work on it since 2002 and I got a lot of experiences and many impressions of the sounds from countless
recordings by myself as well as hundreds ( or thousands !? ) of videos that are available since f.e. YouTube is online.
So I heared cars / engines in many different ways. Extern and intern, with different methods of recording and qualities. Meanwhile I am pretty sure about the
real sound character of most cars we have in GPL and the way they should be mixed to respect the right mixture of the above mentioned sound features and the relation
between in- and ex sound.
And I'm also sure that a real good recording will show that the driver hears all parts of the sound, even if the relation will be with a little overweight for
mechanical noises and intake sound. For example hear the Ferrari 312 1966 onboard Mike Parkes at Monza:

Yes I see, thank you for the clear explanation Wolfgang and I have no doubt of the considerable care and effort you have taken to achieve the best sounds you can for us.

View Postducwolf, on Oct 06 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

... believe me it is some kind of "squaring the circle" with one single wav for on- and offload, in and extern and the rev range from idle to the rev peak.

I understand very well what you are saying, I can imagine it's really close to a, if not an impossible, task to create all the necessary sounds within a single wav. file for each chassis so I wish you continued success in your 'sound laboratory' and look forward to your next set of developments with the 67 soundset and others. Many thanks Wolfgang.

#95 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted Oct 07 2013 - 03:16 PM

Jackpot! Goodwood revival 2013, head to 1min 11 seconds (very good recording in the open air) and revs right at the end ...

http://youtu.be/Ok61w8MpYVw?t=1m11s

and a second, boy is that engine (and car) in beautiful condition!

If we are lucky some more video footage may crop up.

Edited by DuncanS, Oct 15 2013 - 04:22 AM.

#96 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted Oct 07 2013 - 03:18 PM

wooo!

... and very briefly here starting at 3mins 5secs.
http://youtu.be/kUXIkFUmCfI?t=3m5s

Edited by DuncanS, Oct 08 2013 - 04:52 AM.

#97 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted Oct 07 2013 - 03:48 PM

Never heard it before, Ferrari Dino 166 F2 1.6l V6 ( two brief but good loud revs at the start of the video I think).

unfortunately with wind and announcer sounds, very poor quality but gives an idea of the sound on track.

Edited by DuncanS, Oct 07 2013 - 11:47 PM.

#98 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted Oct 07 2013 - 04:03 PM

and this, although there is a comment to say it's a Ferrari 3.0l F1 car, in fact I believe it is actually a Ferrari dino 166 F2 chassis fitted with the 2.4l V6 Ferrari 246 F1 engine as used in 1966 at Monaco by Bandini. The engine was then fitted to the F2 chassis and raced by chris amon in the 1967-68 tasman series.

#99 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted Oct 07 2013 - 04:50 PM

... and a last one for the lotus 49, good for a reference maybe but I don't think he gives the throttle enough 'welly' to get the true sound which is a pity.

Edited by DuncanS, Oct 07 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#100 ducwolf

ducwolf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted Oct 11 2013 - 12:25 AM

Thx for the beautiful video of the Lotus 43! Excellent condition and sound quality !!!!
I found again this epic video with the RA 300 and J.Surtees at the wheel :up:

Edited by ducwolf, Oct 11 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#101 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted Oct 12 2013 - 04:18 PM

Love the honda Wolfgang, it was the first car I fell in love with in GPL and is still a favourite. Again you get to hear more of that exhaust 'burble'.

I think this may be the 48v ferrari, any good?

Edited by DuncanS, Oct 12 2013 - 04:19 PM.

#102 ducwolf

ducwolf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted Dec 24 2013 - 01:37 AM

Chrismas is the time for little gifts. So I'm glad to give back a little bit to the GPL community.
This time a new sound for the Weslake V12 engine.

The attached sound file should be an improvement for the great Eagle Weslake V12 engine sound for GPL.
The one that I made in 2004 was copied for mods like GPL66 and other Sims.
The sound had correct noises, but a very unregular loop.
This new one will be better concerning the loop ( clippings are now like road bumbs would take influence
on the engines sound ; not perfect, but acceptable ) and not as sharp as before.
There should be more intake sound and the lower revs seems to be improved also.
As usual there is always a reason for me to ran out of time during the editing procedure.
This time it is the amazing cockpit done by my friend Mario Müller which is posted here:
http://srmz.net/inde...658

I hope You may enjoy this brand new "chrismas package" for the 67 Eagle as well as for the 66 Eagle Weslake V12

Happy Chrismas !
Wolfgang

Attached Files

#103 JBT

JBT

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted Dec 24 2013 - 03:38 AM

Thanks Wolfgang, and to Mario too!