dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Whatever
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 02 2012 - 10:11 AM

I'm taking delivery of a new PC on 1/3 with W7, finally replacing my old XP machine.  I'm wondering if I will have to install GPL from scratch or if I can just transfer GPL from my old pc to my new one.  I was thinking I could just install GPL with cd on the new pc and then copy and paste my GPL folder from my old pc to the new. Will that work ok or am I going to have problems doing that? If anyone who has made the same switch has some advice they want to share, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks,
Dave

Edited by dbell84, Jan 02 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#2 FloP

FloP

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 602 posts

Posted Jan 02 2012 - 12:30 PM

You don't have to install anything. You can copy everything GPL-related as far as I'm aware, including GPL itself and GEM+2. You should be aware, though, that gem.ini is stored in a different folder. IIRC you can find it in GPLSecrets\GEM+\ under XP, while you need to move it to C:\Users\Public\Documents\GEM+\ under Win7 for GEM+ to work properly. This way, all your settings will be preserved, but you may need to alter the GPL installation path(s), either by hand in gem.ini or from within GEM+.

#3 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,114 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Jan 02 2012 - 04:24 PM

Or alternatively, do a new state-of-the-art install and rely on the Installer. That way, everything is up to date, in sync, and nothing you already have is lost or can't be copied later.

Thanks, FloP, I've wondered about this as well.

#4 burt

burt

burt

• Supporter
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Interests

Posted Jan 02 2012 - 06:33 PM

Dave,

I recently made the leap from XP to W7 myself. Just use the GPL Installer and Stefan's easy install guide.

Then simply swap your new GPL folder for your old one and you are good to go with all your collected addons/personalisations etc.

I was up and running in an hour. Having last installed GPL eight years ago I was gearing myself up for a long nightmare install but no! it's very straight forward.

Burt :thumbup:

#5 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 908 posts

Posted Jan 03 2012 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the replies.

View Postburt, on Jan 02 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

Dave,

I recently made the leap from XP to W7 myself. Just use the GPL Installer and Stefan's easy install guide.

Then simply swap your new GPL folder for your old one and you are good to go with all your collected addons/personalisations etc.

I was up and running in an hour. Having last installed GPL eight years ago I was gearing myself up for a long nightmare install but no! it's very straight forward.

Burt,

I think I'm going to try doing what you did.  Maybe I don't need to install anything, as Flop has said, but I'm curious to try the all in one installer as I've never used it before.  PC came today and I've spent the evening getting it setup and things transfered.  I hope to have time to get GPL set up and running tomorrow.  Hopefully it will go as smooth for me as it did for you.  :thumbup:

:hat-tip:
Dave

#6 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,611 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 04 2012 - 03:00 AM

View Postburt, on Jan 02 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

Just use the GPL Installer and Stefan's easy install guide.

Here: Grand Prix Legends (GPL) Easy Installation Guide
http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=5603

I am also running GPL on Win 7 64bit.
1st step is to do a copy of your current GPL installation.
Then, after doing a fresh install according to the guide, by using the GPLPS installer beta 1.04 and creating all mod drivers and all mods,
I just copy my setups to the new installation.
In case you have modified files in your layout, sounds, ... folder, just copy them over to your new installation.
Same for tracks with specific graphical track updates. Just copy them over the new installation in your track folder.

Good luck!

#7 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 908 posts

Posted Jan 04 2012 - 05:18 PM

I was able to get GPL running with no issues using Burt's method. I can run Targa at 60fps with steady frame rates.  Amazing how much better it looks when it's not stuttering in places.  :thumbup:   F2 cars are a lot of fun there.

Thanks for the advice everyone.  :hat-tip:

Dave

#8 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography.

Posted Jan 05 2012 - 04:12 AM

Hi Dbell84,
Can you give us teh specs of your new computer please?  I would like to know what I would need to get results like you quote !

#9 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 908 posts

Posted Jan 05 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostPaddy the Irishman, on Jan 05 2012 - 04:12 AM, said:

Hi Dbell84,
Can you give us teh specs of your new computer please?  I would like to know what I would need to get results like you quote !

Hi Paddy,

I'd be happy to to post the specs.  It's not a pc from a company like HP or Dell.  I got it from a company that lets you order what components you want to have.  Then they assemble it, install the OS and drivers and ship it to you.  It was great.  No software bundles that I'm never going to use are on it.  No company software like you get from HP and Toshiba.  The only shortcut icon on the screen when I turned it on was the one for the recycle bin.

Specs are : Intel Core i5-2500k processor(4x3.30GHz/6mb L3 cache), ASUS P8Z68-V LX motherboard, Corsair 8 GB DDR3-1600 memory, AMD Radeon HD 6770 1 GB video card, 650 watt Corsair power supply, 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard (I haven't installed a sound card and I'm not sure I will.  The sound is great from the motherboard.), Windows 7 64-bit OS.

It's worked flawlessly and I'm very happy with the purchase.  The company I got it from is iBuyPower.  Not sure if they ship internationally, but if your from North America and are in the market, then their website is definitely worth a look.  This was my first purchase from them and my experience was top notch.  :thumbup:

Cheers,
  Dave

Edited by dbell84, Jan 05 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#10 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography.

Posted Jan 05 2012 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Dave,
I am not in North America, was there for about 20 years (16 in Iowa) but returned to UK about 7 years ago, and now rent an apartment in Spain for most of the winter to keep warm.  The UK is not quite like Iowa, but still can have cold winters.

I run GPL fairly successfully on a large laptop but am toying with the idea of getting something better for the six months or so that I am at home in UK (but then I examine the lap times that I am doing and how I stop driving for periods in disgust at myself !)  

There are companies over here that do a similar assembly job and I think I will see what it would cost me, just in case....

Edited by Paddy the Irishman, Jan 05 2012 - 09:55 AM.

#11 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• Supporter
  • 2,215 posts

Posted Jan 05 2012 - 10:01 AM

I do a similar thing when I get a new computer, but I go to a local shop to have it done as I like being able to drive back if there are any issues.

#12 andpan

andpan

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:my air-cooled 911s, golf, skiing

Posted Jan 06 2012 - 09:03 AM

Bought yesterday a Samsung Chronos7 with Intel Core i7, ATI Mobility Radeon and Win7 Home Premium.
Spend hours in front of the new machine only to understand:
- Installing with the GPL installer 1,04 is fine, but copying the old files into the new folder gave me serious problems with the FPS.
- Obviously Win7 do not accept an installation direct to the C:drive (it worked but I was not able to enter the players name, had to install it to sierra\gpl)  :idunno:

Maybe this helps someone to avoid hours of  :angry:

Edited by andpan, Jan 06 2012 - 11:22 PM.

#13 burt

burt

burt

• Supporter
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Interests

Posted Jan 06 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hi Andreas,

See my post above (#4).

You don't need to copy files into your new GPL folder. Just remove the new folder after installation and replace it with your old one.
That way you will have all your addons etc straight away without having to install them all separately.

My new PC is also an i7 with W7 home premium and GPL is installed on C:drive so you should not have a problem. I know in the past the feeling has been that Radeon cards are less GPL friendly than nvidea (I have nvidea geforce GTX 550Ti) but I doubt that's the problem.

Hope that helps and good luck.

#14 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,395 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Jan 06 2012 - 03:07 PM

I might need to buy a new pc as well.

It has alzheimer...i need to tell it every day what year, month, day and time it is :rolleyes:
The mainboard battery isn't working anymore, i extended the pc's life some time ago by buying a new vid card but a dead battery is telling me it is getting overdue...
Still contemplating a battery change but maybe GPL might like some upgrades :think:

#15 andpan

andpan

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:my air-cooled 911s, golf, skiing

Posted Jan 07 2012 - 07:46 AM

View Postandpan, on Jan 06 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

Bought yesterday a Samsung Chronos7 with Intel Core i7, ATI Mobility Radeon and Win7 Home Premium.
Spend hours in front of the new machine only to understand:
- Installing with the GPL installer 1,04 is fine, but copying the old files into the new folder gave me serious problems with the FPS.
- Obviously Win7 do not accept an installation direct to the C:drive (it worked but I was not able to enter the players name, had to install it to sierra\gpl)  :idunno:

Maybe this helps someone to avoid hours of  :angry:

After the second installation of the PC everything is fine. ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links