sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 12:49 PM

since i've been awakened by the post in the Mk2 ford thread, i figured i might as well get the ferrari skins out of the way once and for all. with only a little over 1 years worth of delay, here are all (online and offline) 32bit skins for the ferrari 330 p4.

below are packages for 512x512, 1024x1024 and 2048x2048. the latter being a "bit" on the large size, which is why i had to split that archive into 3 individual parts spread over as many posts - 30megs / post limit and all that. it is rather large - unzipped it's about 1.4gs worth of skins. just felt that i should mention that ;). my recommendation would be to just use the "real" AI cars, and leave the online AI 1024x 32bit. That should do well enough (that's what i run anyway, but then i don't race online...). i have included all of them in the package, just because :wave:.

i haven't done any work on the higher res (1024x1024 only really) 16bit skins yet since that requires quite a few extra steps during the conversion to ensure the best possible output for each of the skins. and i can't be bovvered ;) to do that right now.

my memory might be hazy, but i think i posted a set of wheels for the p4 elsewhere around here, but couldn't find them again, so i've attached them here as well (preview below). both in 256x and 512x flavours 16bit and 32bit (included in both packages). worth noting, they replace the wheels on all P4s. you can't use silver rims on #21 and gold on #22. kinda bums me out a bit, but hey... this sucker (GPL) is close to 13 years old by now...

and as usual the disclaimer, 32bit means you HAVE TO use the V2 rasterizers. OGL V2 or D3D V2 doesn't matter as long as it is V2. just have to stress that so there's no moaning when GPL crashes, because someone thought V1 and 32bit do mix - they don't. i've tried. ;)

as usual, a readme is included and i hope these readmes are less buggy than the last ones. if not, let me know.
in any case, if you have questions - ask.

otherwise enjoy

Attached Files

#2 sky

sky

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 12:54 PM

continued, 2048x2048 skins part 1 of 3
wheels 256x256

Attached Files

#3 sky

sky

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 01:00 PM

continued, 2048x2048 skins part 2 of 3

Attached Files

#4 sky

sky

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 01:05 PM

continued, 2048x2048 skins part 3 of 3

Attached Files

#5 Hopper

Hopper

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 02:02 PM

Thank You, nice work  :hat-tip:

#6 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 02:36 PM

Hi Sky,

I've downloaded the 2048 skins and tried a few of them in training mode (renaming the .mip to "p4body27.mip") and they look absolutely great. It's amazing the number of detail changes that show up with the nose stripe, coloured body panels (especially at the rear) and other things. I've also downloaded your wheel files, and they look really good too, and add a lot of variety to the "look" of the Ferrari.

However, I was wondering if you could post a little extra info which would help me out? As you mention in your previous posts, the 2048 files are quite large, and to save space I would prefer to only use "real life" liveries. Could you list the "real" .mip files included in your collection so I can just have those in my car directory? I could then simply copy and rename a selected paint scheme to "p4body27" whenever I wanted to use it for solo hotlapping.

And also, could you specify which team those colour schemes represent, so I can match each of them up with the correct set of wheels for each body? If you could, that would be great.

Thanks for publishing these files and for any extra help you can give!  :thumbup:  :clap2:  :wave:

EDIT: P.S. I'm also a little curious - what package do you use for editing the .mip files? I tried to take a sneak peek at your mips using Winmip2, but it just gives me an error, probably because of the file sizes!

Edited by Saiph, Nov 06 2011 - 02:41 PM.

#7 sky

sky

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 04:07 PM

hi keith,

for browsing the files racecon will do just fine, it's what i use when i want to check through the files. however i'd prefer something more in the style of irfanview where i can move forward and backwards through the stack in the folders. for editing or rather for conversion purposes (32bits) i use papybmp. go look around here, somewhere in the editing area should be a download for it. i think i wrote some sort of tutorial on conversion and gradients and posted it around here, including links to the tools - with some very good information and tips from jackseller in there as well (thanks for that, mate!).

anyway as for editing in general, it's photoshop for me. have been using that for over 10 years now since upgrading from the pixelbased deluxe paint 2 enhanced (by electronic arts) that i have used for most of the 1990's.
once i have the cars painted, i export them to invidividual .png files in full 8192x8192 resolution (takes about 20-30sec a file at full resolution to save, but they're low on file space at approx. 12megs a pop with no quality loss). then it's resizing from there downto 2048, 1024 and 512 (all from the raw size, not incrementally). save as .bmp and then it's off to papybmp.
if it's 16bit deals, then instead of going to papybmp in the last step, it'll go into psp, do some colour reducing, dithering (i think i outlined that in the tutorial mentioned above), then load again in photoshop, save as .bmp and touch up the alpha channel (if there's one) since that somehow usually ends up with white not being white by tinkering with psp (254,254,254 - which in turn makes it see through  :idunno:). then the .bmps go to winmip2.

as for the real cars, sorted by races:
P4bod231 - chassis #846 - #23 daytona - ferrari works
P4bod241 - chassis #856 - #24 daytona - ferrari works
P4body26 - chassis #844 - #26 daytona - n.a.r.t.
P4body31 - chassis #836 - #31 daytona - david piper racing
P4body33 - chassis #850 - #33 daytona - ecurie nationale belge

P4body03 - chassis #856 - #3 monza - ferrari works
P4body04 - chassis #858 - #4 monza - ferrari works
P4body71 - chassis #848 - #7 monza - ferrari works
P4body91 - chassis #844 - #9 monza - n.a.r.t.

P4body92 - chassis #858 - #9 spa - ferrari works
P4body10 - chassis #854 - #10 spa - maranello concessionaires
P4body11 - chassis #850 - #11 spa - ecurie nationale belge

P4body19 - chassis #860 - #19 le mans - ferrari works
P4body20 - chassis #846 - #20 le mans - ferrari works
P4body21 - chassis #858 - #21 le mans - ferrari works
P4body22 - chassis #848 - #22 le mans - scuderia filipinetti
P4bod232 - chassis #854 - #23 le mans - maranello concessionaires
P4bod242 - chassis #856 - #24 le mans - ecurie nationale belge
P4body25 - chassis #844 - #25 le mans - n.a.r.t.

P4bod220 - chassis #848 - #220 targa florio - scuderia filipinetti
P4bod224 - chassis #846 - #224 targa florio - ferrari works

P4body06 - chassis #860 - #6 brands hatch - ferrari works
P4body72 - chassis #856 - #7 brands hatch - ferrari works
P4body08 - chassis #858 - #8 brands hatch - ferrari works
P4body93 - chassis #854 - #9 brands hatch - maranello concessionaires
---
#27 daytona (recreation of the daytona winner)
#27 monza (recreation of the monza winner)

/edit
the winmip error happens because winmip2 cannot handle 32bit mips -> hence papybmp / racecon. and i had done a matching of wheels / cars at some point, but discarded it as it would have involved extra physics slots.
as for wheels on other cars. the spinners on the gt40 mk4 cars used to be coloured red on one side and blue on the other. could have been true for the mk2 as well - but can't remember. in any way, doing that impossible too ;)

Edited by sky, Nov 06 2011 - 04:12 PM.

#8 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 06:39 PM

Fantastic! Thanks for all the information Sky. I shall check out Racecon and possibly also Papybmp, sounds like they will be handy in future. And I will cut'n'paste the car list into a text file and keep it in my Ferrari directory so I can re-create any of them for hotlapping in future. Great stuff!  :)

#9 tooncheesef1

tooncheesef1

Hans Heyer

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F1
    Lanica

Posted Nov 07 2011 - 10:11 AM

Its beautiful!

#10 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,631 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Nov 07 2011 - 01:25 PM

Racecon can let you see the mip.
If you want to edit/transform into BMP you need Papybmp :)

Thanks Roman This is master work!! :hat-tip: :artist:

#11 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,631 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Nov 07 2011 - 01:25 PM

double post.. :idunno:

Edited by Ginetto, Nov 07 2011 - 01:25 PM.

#12 Larko29

Larko29

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted Nov 07 2011 - 08:26 PM

Thank you Sky for these and the details around them.  :shock: :artist:  

Thanks to Saiph also for elaborating on the process to use the different skins for hotlapping in this and the MKII thread makes the whole process much more straight forward for one who has never played around with these things.  :wave:

Craig

#13 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted Nov 08 2011 - 05:35 PM

View PostLarko29, on Nov 07 2011 - 08:26 PM, said:

Thank you Sky for these and the details around them.  :shock: :artist:  

Thanks to Saiph also for elaborating on the process to use the different skins for hotlapping in this and the MKII thread makes the whole process much more straight forward for one who has never played around with these things.  :wave:

Craig
I'm glad the info helped you too Craig, that's Bonzer!  ;)  :D  I didn't think about my questions acting as a tutorial for others, so if there's still something that isn't quite clear, don't hesitate to ask.  :thumbup:

#14 rcb

rcb

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 96 posts

Posted Nov 08 2011 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for releasing these. :thumbup:

Edited by rcb, Nov 08 2011 - 06:51 PM.

#15 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 750 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Jul 26 2014 - 07:09 AM

Some of you might be interested in this:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links