sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 08 2011 - 02:04 AM

i'll be honest, while i'm thrilled at the prospect of a high quality version of the lotus 49, it won't say me to pay for iracing. not in a million years. i'd rather pass on the car altogether. if the c.a.r.s. folks are going to include a '49 then that's where i will be going - probably, depending on if i like their feel for it (should i be able to test it in some way or other).

and bruce is spot on, gpl didn't start the fuzz, it was indeed indy500. anyone remember that might bassy roar the cars had on the amiga? (slow on the amiga, but the sound was better)

#17 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Nov 08 2011 - 02:13 AM

View Postsky, on Nov 08 2011 - 02:04 AM, said:

if the c.a.r.s. folks are going to include a '49 then that's where i will be going - probably, depending on if i like their feel for it (should i be able to test it in some way or other).

It already has a car called Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 which I suppose is a license-free way of saying 1968 Lotus 49 Cosworth V8. Latest cars build I tested shows some promise with respect to driving feel, though its a long way from being something I'd consider usable for simracing.

#18 SteveC43

SteveC43

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted Nov 08 2011 - 05:30 AM

Having actually talked (via chat) on more than one ocassion with John Henry and Dave Kaemmer a few years back in the beta testing, I can say with certainty their goals are not to "kill off" GPL, or any other sim for that matter. In fact, Dave is really proud of GPL and I get the impression he's highly amused that it has lasted so long. It's like his baby. I don't think he'd "kill" it, just try to make it better.

That said, iRacing's version doesn't interest me much, mainly due to the fact you're going to be on modern tracks (with the old layouts in some places, but still modernized) with 20 other strangly painted Lotus 49's. It will not have the magic that GPL has. Still, I'll probably try it out just to see. I've been wrong before...

Edited by SteveC43, Nov 08 2011 - 05:32 AM.

#19 adamlotus

adamlotus

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted Nov 08 2011 - 09:05 AM

Returning to GPL after a long time away and really enjoying it.  I've got iRacing, but GPL actually makes me feel like a racing driver and not a gamer.

Still got the magic after all these years :)  Now I must get back to Rouen...

Adam Jones

#20 jxeboy

jxeboy

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted Nov 08 2011 - 09:21 AM

I'm sorry everyone. I by no means wanted to start a debate over iRacing and GPL, or other sims for that matter. I race both GPL and iRacing, and am very happy doing so. They both have strong points, and weak points. I wont point out my opinion here, I just merely wanted to share that the car was coming to iRacing, and being modeled by the same man, Dave Kaemmer.

I don't really see the point in hating one sim or another. I guess I'd rather there be a thousand sims instead of just one. Competition is good, and while GPL might be past the point of competing, it has something special that keeps people like me, and us coming back to it.

Please don't read into my post any more than that.

Thank you,
~Jake

#21 Guest_vosblodGuest_

Guest_vosblodGuest_
  • Guests

Posted Nov 08 2011 - 01:56 PM

View Postbrr, on Nov 06 2011 - 06:21 AM, said:

View PostWile E. Coyote, on Nov 06 2011 - 05:52 AM, said:

It seems like all the big developers are scheming together and are determined to kill off GPL once and for all.
Its unlikely that the big developers are even aware that GPL is still barely alive.
Am I not right in thinking IRacing own the rights to GPL but, effectively, turned a blind eye to the GPL community developing it although they clamped down on Nascar 2003?
If they do start going all historic let's hope they don't start trying to exercise their rights, I think they said in the past it will be left alone.

#22 SteveC43

SteveC43

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted Nov 08 2011 - 02:02 PM

They own the rights to the N2003 code, if memory serves. It is derived from the GPL code, but not the same thing. I'm not sure who technically owns the GPL copyrights, but I do not believe it is iRacing.

They basically had to protect the N2003 exe to protect their copyright, the way I understand it. I'm no lawyer though, as my bank account will attest.

#23 Gene Fryman

Gene Fryman

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Nov 08 2011 - 04:53 PM

I suppose that I am more interested in what the rFactor2 versions of the 50's and 60's cars will be like since they will come with period tracks.  It was more the old tracks that kept me in GPL for the first 10 years of its existence and I don't think that running old cars on super wide, super smooth, and super safe tracks is going to get my want-er turned on.

The fact is that I never ran the original cars that much after the first couple of years as I much preferred the lowered powered cars.  So if rFactor2 has a good tyre model then I think the '67 F2 will be the car that renews my interest in sim racing.

codehound

#24 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Nov 09 2011 - 09:30 AM

I'm a sucker for any Lotus 49 that comes out. I'm sure i'll try them all, but i'll never leave GPL. It's like an old friend now.
When i'm sliding. I'm smiling Posted Image

#25 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,131 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 09 2011 - 10:21 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Nov 09 2011 - 09:30 AM, said:

I'm a sucker for any Lotus 49 that comes out. I'm sure i'll try them all, but i'll never leave GPL. It's like an old friend now.

+1

#26 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted Nov 09 2011 - 06:00 PM

View PostBruce, on Nov 07 2011 - 08:53 PM, said:

View PostRudy Dingemans, on Nov 06 2011 - 04:05 PM, said:

......they know it was the legendary sim that started it all, ....
Wrong.
"Indianapolis 500" is what started the ball rolling.

Wrong. Sorry. As you can see when re-reading, I was talking about historic sims, which Indy 500 (also still in my old games cabinet somewhere) is not.

(As for sim racing in general, 'Revs' deserves the title of the one that started it all - and that was way before Papyrus got started. Still got that one, too.)

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -40)

#27 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted Nov 09 2011 - 06:44 PM

Indy 500 might have started the ball rolling for the oval guys. I never bought it.

#28 SteveC43

SteveC43

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted Nov 10 2011 - 06:09 AM

I disagree Rudy. Indy 500 was the original sim written by Kaemmer. It came before everything else, so how did it not start everything?

Are you arguing it was not a sim? By the standards of the day, it was. Everything else was similar to Pole Position before that.

As for historic, to guys my age in North America, it is. even more so than GPL in most circles (pun intended).

Edited by SteveC43, Nov 10 2011 - 06:11 AM.

#29 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 1,324 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Nov 10 2011 - 11:01 AM

Chris Slack offered some unopened box race sim titles for sale here on the forum about a year ago. dbell84 and I got the oem GPL boxes. During a series of emails that transpired, I learned Chris worked at Sierra and often visited Papyrus offices, commenting he once raced Dale Jr. online while there, (indicating to me, Dale had some development relationship with Papy?).
While I am confident Chris would not consider himself anywhere near an expert, he described Indy 500, which remains in his collection afaik, as [my words] "very significant because it was the first commercially viable race sim." Maybe the idea of "what started it all" has something to do with market success, (distribution to and acceptance by lots of users), as much as pioneering innovation? It came out in 5.25 floppy and required Win3.1, btw, difficult to get earlier than that I think.

Edited by John Woods, Nov 10 2011 - 11:02 AM.

the line is faster than the foot

V. R. Metaphysical Aesthetics

The Practice Room

#30 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted Nov 10 2011 - 11:11 AM

Dale Jr has been a simmer for a long time. He used to come to the Nascar Heat online races too. I never got to race him, because the races would fill up so fast you couldn't get in. Rusty Greer was the fastest sim racer, and could beat Dale, but Dale was fast.

My point being Dale might not have been involved just because he was racing. He just loved to race.

Edited by Pete Gaimari, Nov 10 2011 - 11:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links