Ed Hut

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 19 2011 - 02:49 PM

Objective
GPLRank's Track Promotion is organized in order to stimulate drivers to drive on tracks that are the 'hidden gems'. Typically such a hidden gem doesn't have many laptimes registered in GPLRank, which is a shame, because after some 13 years driving Monza, people should be ready to explore some more asphalt!  :rolleyes:
By means of organizing a little competition, I hope that people are motivated to try the tracks.

How does it work?
The performance of each driver is measured by the lap times uploaded during the competition. So if you already have a lap time on the track in the particular GPL-version before the competition started, this lap time is not counted. The calculation is based on the lap times history within GPLRank. As a consequence, only lap time improvements are 'seen' by the calculation (since the lap time history of a driver is only updated when he submits a lap time that is faster than an already registered lap time). If you really want to circumvent this, you could delete the lap time history from the GPLRank database (with the Self Service feature), so that each lap time you submit after that is used.

Every six hours, the leader board is calculated. The GPLRank server is physically located in Virginia, USA, which uses the Eastern Standard Time (EST). The leader board is calculated at 12am, 6am, 12pm, 6pm EST. The homepage of GPLRank includes the top 3 of the currently ongoing promotion and includes a link to the full standings.

Where is it in GPLRank?
Look at it under "Big Brother -> Track Promotion (new 2011)". I hear you think "new 2011? How's that". Well the almost defunct Big Brother feature, which analysed replay data from a number of dedicated servers which hosted VROC and iGOR events, already had a track promotion feature. It is still functional (ahem, I just checked while typing this and it produces an errorr... have to fix that), but unfortunately there aren't any servers anymore that upload replays to GPLRank anymore.

How long does a track promotion run?
Since I started this, I stuck to one week, starting at midnight from Sunday to Monday.

Who decides which tracks and GPL versions to use?
Currently I'm the one deciding that, but I use valuable input that I get from discussions in this forum. I do not judge the tracks myself, since I don't have the time available to do that. As a matter of fact, I haven't driven GPL seriously for several years now (but GPLRank is my pet project, so I keep maintaining it).
I might develop a voting system of some sort some day that will automatically pick the tracks and GPL versions based one objective voting by you all, but don't hold our breath for that. I might not find the time to complete such a feature shortly.

Twitter!
I originally started this feature when I was tinkering with the Twitter API. With GPLRank being my pet project to try new stuff with, I wanted to find something useful to tweet about using the API. The only thing I could come up with at that time was a competition of some sort. Hence the Track Promotion was born.
The system tweets the start of a new competition and the final result. I might extent this to more events (new entries, improved positions, etc) at some point in time.
The tweets are easy to be found under #gplrank. Feel free to tweet about GPLRank using this hash tag.

This FAQ doesn't answer my question!
If there's something that is not clear, just post in this thread and I'll update this post.

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Oct 19 2011 - 03:54 PM

A link to this thread is now in the GPL Challenges section at gpllinks.org
Thanks, Ed.

#3 Ed Hut

Ed Hut

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted Oct 19 2011 - 10:42 PM

View PostJohn Woods, on Oct 19 2011 - 03:54 PM, said:

A link to this thread is now in the GPL Challenges section at gpllinks.org
Thanks, Ed.
And thank you! Let's hope that it contributes to a bit more traffic on the Track Promo feature.

BTW: to SRMZ admins, please make this thread sticky.

Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links