Jump to content


- - - - -

Sold Out Gpl For Win 7


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ramfeild66

ramfeild66

    Chris Irwin

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Aug 02 2011 - 04:17 PM

So I just ordered GPL for my Windows 7 laptop full knowing how hard it is for this game to be installed. While it's still in the post I was wondering if anybody can supply a step by step guide of how to install this game on my 64 bit Windows 7 system before I make a complete mess of it myself. I've looked around and most of the threads are bogged down by the complications of an already installed copy. I want to know how to get it to work first attempt (at least that's the theory) and the various patches and updates I should install... preferrably in order (much like the old download order for Nascar Racing 2003).

An idiots guide (or pointers to one if I've missed it) would be most appreciated and reading through the posts here, you guys seem by far the best to ask!

Edited by ramfeild66, Aug 02 2011 - 04:17 PM.


#2 FloP

FloP

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Location:Rödermark
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 02 2011 - 04:39 PM

http://www.gpllinks.org/ is a very good place to start. You'll find some very useful links in the left column, especially the Easy Installation Guide. I don't think there's much to add until you encounter problems - which I hope you won't! Good luck! :hat-tip:

#3 Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote

    Denny Hulme

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Aug 02 2011 - 06:22 PM

Best is to download and use the installer provided on this page, after that you might need the updated rasterizers which are provided in the download section of this forum.

#4 grego

grego

    confuzius

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:new zealand
  • Interests:motorbikes, petanque, philosophy,
    psychology, GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 03 2011 - 03:45 AM

i used all  the above mentioned, well known guides to install my win7 64bit   , admittedly on a desktop, not laptop  but there were no problems
doing the install.
just as long as videocard and soundcard have got the proper drivers  and can handle gpl you 'll be fine.

#5 ginetto

ginetto

    GPL track editor

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lombardia, Italia
  • Interests:Mountain
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 03 2011 - 06:51 AM

Hi ramfeild :)
Since the posts above link to an older version, please download the last version of the GPL installer which is at this link below:

GPL_INSTALLER_1.04

Read carefully all the instructions before to start so you will not make any mistake.
When your disk will arrive, you insert the disk in the Driver and close the auto install if it start.
With the disk in, you just click on the GPL installer and give the few infos that it will ask.
Choose to install the whole thing with all the default options.
This should give you an up to date GPL with the new rasterizers and everything.
You will then need GEM+, the extra mods and the extra tracks you want but first be sure that everything works flawless; don't be in a hurry ;)
There is a very good stap by step guide HERE but is listed at the GPL links org already linked in a post above so you will find that there.
Ciao!  :wave:

Edited by Ginetto, Aug 03 2011 - 06:55 AM.


#6 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

    The answer man

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ottawa
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 03 2011 - 08:59 AM

The v.1.04 installer makes the (true) stories of GPL being a headache to install a thing of the past.

#7 Millennium

Millennium

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Netherlands

Posted Aug 03 2011 - 12:58 PM

I agree, it's brilliant!

I use windows 7 64 bit too, and installing is made very easy.

#8 ramfeild66

ramfeild66

    Chris Irwin

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Aug 03 2011 - 03:23 PM

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I've been meaning to get this game for years as I'm very fond of Sierra's NASCAR Racing 2003 and hearing this was based of the same engine I couldn't wait. But I kept putting off picking it up for about £3 because of the installing issues I had heard. Hopefully I won't encounter any problems, alas, I was hoping it would arrive today as I'm away for the weekend, but I'll update if I do manage to blow it.

Cheers.

#9 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

    Denny Hulme

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 27 2011 - 11:12 AM

If someone here has access rights to that page,
http://gplps.org/wb/...l-installer.php, updating the infos and proposing the last version for dld wld be easier for newcomers

#10 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

    GrandPrixYannick

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends, Formula 1, Music, Anime.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 08 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostGinetto, on Aug 03 2011 - 06:51 AM, said:

Hi ramfeild :)
Since the posts above link to an older version, please download the last version of the GPL installer which is at this link below:

GPL_INSTALLER_1.04

Read carefully all the instructions before to start so you will not make any mistake.
When your disk will arrive, you insert the disk in the Driver and close the auto install if it start.
With the disk in, you just click on the GPL installer and give the few infos that it will ask.
Choose to install the whole thing with all the default options.
This should give you an up to date GPL with the new rasterizers and everything.
You will then need GEM+, the extra mods and the extra tracks you want but first be sure that everything works flawless; don't be in a hurry ;)
There is a very good stap by step guide HERE but is listed at the GPL links org already linked in a post above so you will find that there.
Ciao!  :wave:

I have a problem.... My computer says I have no rights for this, possibly because it is over 500 MB, I use a Windows XP, please help me how to fix it.

#11 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 09 2012 - 04:41 AM

Can you post a screenshot?
Maybe you really have no local administrator rights?

#12 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

    GrandPrixYannick

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends, Formula 1, Music, Anime.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 09 2012 - 05:43 AM

Here is what is said:

gplinstall_beta_1.04.exe
Kan niet opslaan vanwege onvoldoende rechten. Sla op een andere locatie op.
(can't save because of lack of rights. Please save on a different location.)

Which means I must change the place where to download the .exe.
At first, I downloaded this to My Documents on my C:\ hard disk. I tried with a different hard disk... no success...

Edited by GrandPrixYannick , Jul 09 2012 - 06:35 AM.


#13 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 09 2012 - 07:09 AM

It's 500 MB and it needs a lot more space when trying to run. The package is around 2 GB plus temporary files during installation.
Let's say you save the 500 MB on an USB stick. Still it requires a lot space on your %tmp% directory to unpack those files.
Maybe it's a good idea to open the windows explorer and type in %tmp% and delete all files in this and empty the recycle bin after this before trying to run it again.
And it's not a specific thing about this installer. Took me some time but all modern installer extract the files to the %tmp% directory and more or less copy them from there to the destination folders.

#14 svenvangent

svenvangent

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:cxxvcxcx

Posted Jul 09 2012 - 10:02 AM

View PostGrandPrixYannick, on Jul 09 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

Here is what is said:

gplinstall_beta_1.04.exe
Kan niet opslaan vanwege onvoldoende rechten. Sla op een andere locatie op.
(can't save because of lack of rights. Please save on a different location.)

Which means I must change the place where to download the .exe.
At first, I downloaded this to My Documents on my C:\ hard disk. I tried with a different hard disk... no success...
Hallo Yanninck ;

Probeer eens als ..... Als administrator uitvoeren .... zou wel eens de reden kunnen zijn , is wat het in mijn geval toch zo is .
:hat-tip:

Edited by svenvangent, Jul 09 2012 - 10:03 AM.


#15 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

    GrandPrixYannick

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends, Formula 1, Music, Anime.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 09 2012 - 10:54 AM

View Postsvenvangent, on Jul 09 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

View PostGrandPrixYannick, on Jul 09 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

Here is what is said:

gplinstall_beta_1.04.exe
Kan niet opslaan vanwege onvoldoende rechten. Sla op een andere locatie op.
(can't save because of lack of rights. Please save on a different location.)

Which means I must change the place where to download the .exe.
At first, I downloaded this to My Documents on my C:\ hard disk. I tried with a different hard disk... no success...
Hallo Yanninck ;

Probeer eens als ..... Als administrator uitvoeren .... zou wel eens de reden kunnen zijn , is wat het in mijn geval toch zo is .
:hat-tip:

Er is slechts één gebruikersprofiel beschikbaar, dus verwacht ik eigenlijk wel dat deze ook de administrator is, al heb ik geen idee hoe ik dat moet checken :lol:




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links