wreckah

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 28 2011 - 05:22 AM

Hi guys,

i got a couple of questions regarding setups and driving style for earthlings ( normal people who do not push the throttle while braking etc...)in order to get the best out of our moderate talent. I have read many setup guides, and there is quite some contradictory info out there.

- What kind of GPLrank can one more or less reach without using the trailing throttle/unrealistic brake bias?

- what kind of brake bias gives best stopping performance (lotus) in a straight line...and related: does the car stop better when you hear the squeal or when you do NOT hear the squeal?

- Is it better to rely on brakes only, and not use engine braking? so is it better to downshift not too agressively?

- I know diff settings are personal, but let's say you can adapt to a more agressive diff, can you drop laptimes accordingly? Or is it better to keep using whichever feels comfortable and concentrate on your racing line? Are some diff settings inherently slower than others? Or is the difference marginal?

- what is the optimum tire temp or pressure which gives the best inherent grip? Which is the more important: optimum tire pressure when hot, or optimal tire temps inside-middle-out

- Is it important to have tire pressures/temps more or less the same for inside and outside wheels?

I will post more questions whenever i feel confused.
I am at GPLrank -25 now, which is nowhere near extraordinary, but i feel i am reaching a peak, and i need to adjust my driving style to become quicker. I think i am driving too much on/off style, too 'digital' for these old cars. I also think i have the wrong ideas about setups caused by years and years of hearing about aero cars setups.

GPL with all its mods is such a rewarding game to play, everytime i sit behind the wheel i learn something new. GPL makes you try out new driving styles and really lets you feel the difference. It is simply amazing to see the sim react to your inputs...i have the best time ever when im racing: it is challenging you all the time and a real joy when you get it right!

I am a returning GPL player after 10 years, and slowly but surely i am adapting a more realistic way of playing: i threw F10 overboard just two weeks ago ( shame on me i know :D ) and i will be trying out clutch and H-shifter soon.

Thanks for your input :)
cheers
Jan

#2 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Jun 28 2011 - 05:56 AM

View Postwreckah, on Jun 28 2011 - 05:22 AM, said:

- What kind of GPLrank can one more or less reach without using the trailing throttle/unrealistic brake bias?

I think Joosa Riekkinen did his laptimes with right foot braking, and his setups usually seem to have 54 percent brake bias (if I remember correctly). So -90 is possible. I would not place too much blame on the setup unless you are getting close to alien laptimes.

#3 Dark - guest

Dark - guest
  • Guests

Posted Jun 28 2011 - 07:02 AM

I right foot brake and i'm knocking on the door of -70 (i should pull my finger out and get that done soon)

Carsten Thiele has gone past -80 using a shifter and clutch so its possible to achieve a really nice rank.

I think i got to about -50 using really stable setups with an 85/30 diff and i peaked there for a bit until i went to a slightly more aggressive diff and clutch setting and i think i could get to the mid -70's if i put the time in and thats using a shifter and clutch with heal and toe.

My brake bias is 54% i think and i tend to use as much engine braking as possible to help me slow the car down but also to help turn in when i can. I seem to remember that i'm squealing the tires on the brakes a fair bit

I've tried higher brake biases but i just end up locking the fronts and lower i end up loosing it more often than not when really pushing.

Hope that helps Jan

#4 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,356 posts

Posted Jun 28 2011 - 07:19 AM

- what is the optimum tire temp or pressure which gives the best inherent grip? Which is the more important: optimum tire pressure when hot, or optimal tire temps inside-middle-out

- Is it important to have tire pressures/temps more or less the same for inside and outside wheels?

Faster drivers than I can answer more of your questions, but here are the answers about the tires.

The optimum temp and press for the various mods:

'67--261 F, 24 psi ft, 26 rear
'65--187 F, 24, 26
'69--261 F, 24, 26
'Sports Cars--261 F, 32, 32.  P910--261 F, 28, 28

Ideally, you'd have both temp and pressure at optimum although this can be difficult to achieve depending on your driving style.  As a rule of thumb, either a 6 psi or 90 degrees F difference from optimum results in a 2.5% loss of grip.

Ideally, all four tires would be at optimum pressure and temperature.  This is also difficult to achieve as the outside tires will typically be hotter than the inside.  About the only way to adjust this is by increasing the roll bar setting which takes load off the outside tire and adds it to the inside.

Edited by Lee200, Jun 28 2011 - 07:32 AM.

#5 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted Jun 28 2011 - 10:42 AM

- what kind of brake bias gives best stopping performance (lotus) in a straight line...and related: does the car stop better when you hear the squeal or when you do NOT hear the squeal?

- Is it better to rely on brakes only, and not use engine braking? so is it better to downshift not too agressively?

- I know diff settings are personal, but let's say you can adapt to a more agressive diff, can you drop laptimes accordingly? Or is it better to keep using whichever feels comfortable and concentrate on your racing line? Are some diff settings inherently slower than others? Or is the difference marginal?

I am at GPLrank -25 now, which is nowhere near extraordinary, but i feel i am reaching a peak, and i need to adjust my driving style

My take on some of these issues:
You can get quite high with 'realistic' inputs, it just depends on your talent. Some aliens reach deeply negative values with a keyboard...

Personally, in my brake settings I rarely went for maximum braking power but more for stability (usually, that meant moving it forward so the front wheels would lock up first). It's little use braking as hard as possible if it means you're swerving all over the place. To that end I also adjusted my brake pedal by putting some stuff underneath it, so that the pedal ended up *just* short of locking up the brakes at maximum foot pressure.

Secondly, having a bit of throttle on during braking *does* help for that... in my view it doesn't mean that much speedwise but just makes the car easier to control on the limit. And that helps.

Similarly, you *do* need to use engine braking. Again, it's not so much in the braking power but it helps to make the car more stable during braking. Distinctly remember learning this on approach to Crowthorne Corner a lot, and figuring out how not to fly off...   :P

Tyre pressures: need to be fairly even, but it doesn't matter that much in terms of outright speed and handling if there differences are not too big.

In terms of diffs, yes, especially in GPL, more aggressive (30/85 style) diffs help in terms of speed. Imho, it only starts to really matter once you pass -20 in Rank. Then it'd be harder to gain mucho speed if you'r still on 85/30 diffs. Some aliens can do fine without such diffs, but for regular drivers like me it did make a difference for sure.
Once I wanted to go faster on that level, I first learned to drive the 65 Mod cars, which have 'torque-yourself-into-the-corner' diffs by default but have a much more mellow response, making them easier to learn. Once I got the hang of that, I gradually applied those diffs and my adapted driving style to the 67 cars. Did help, in the end I went from somewhere around -25 to -40 (took a looong while though since I ain't no alien).

:2c:

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -40)

Edited by Rudy Dingemans, Jun 28 2011 - 10:43 AM.

#6 FlaviusManlius

FlaviusManlius

Jack Brabham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted Jun 28 2011 - 11:01 AM

It seems to me like there is a 'light' squeal == good and full-on squeal == bad

#7 tooncheesef1

tooncheesef1

Hans Heyer

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F1
    Lanica

Posted Jun 28 2011 - 11:11 AM

For tyres temps, pridibula shows them in green, so you can glance down and see your 12 tyre temps.

I think inside and outside differences are OK unless the gap is quite big.

Squealing I tend to brake hard, hear the squeal then back off 'till I no longer hear it.

85/30 is the most aggressive diff I believe.

Two tips I know that are good for laptimes are using camber effectively and trail braking. I hate using camber and unsettling the car, and I'm rubbish at trail braking. I also have a high rank. Jim Pearson put up a big guide when he did his training course: http://jrpearson.hom...nstruction.html

#8 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,142 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Jun 28 2011 - 12:26 PM

Whew! Too many questions better answered by personal experience trial and error I think.
Nonetheless...
Pretty sure the most aggressive rear is 30/30/6, which is maybe good for Monza, Spa, etc., (courses with long straights and wide sweepers).. I now use 45/60/6 at the Ring. Then all other setup variables are tuned after tuning diff, so there is no absolute...for me it depends on shape of intended projected racing line (trajectory) when exiting turns typical of specific track.
After reading about analog racing clutches and diffs, I think the goal is to set things up as "quick/hard/stiff" as possible.

#9 FlaviusManlius

FlaviusManlius

Jack Brabham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted Jun 28 2011 - 01:29 PM

Here's the guidelines I've used
http://www.intothere...ing/setups.html

I don't know where to find the links to each car directly, but if you google "into the red" + the name of the car you want they have setups for each '67 car.

They seem to say that the middle tire temp should be hotter than the inside and outside.

I notice sometimes the outside of my tires get hotter than the middle.  Should I adjust camber to counteract?  I'm usually at -.25, would -.5 or 0.0 be the way to go to reduce outside temps?

Edited by FlaviusManlius, Jun 28 2011 - 01:30 PM.

#10 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,398 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Jun 28 2011 - 01:58 PM

View PostFlaviusManlius, on Jun 28 2011 - 01:29 PM, said:

They seem to say that the middle tire temp should be hotter than the inside and outside.

That's a simple way of telling that your tires have a flat contact patch with the tarmac.
I could be wrong but that's a basic guideline for a flat track like monza.

I believe this phrase was also in the setup guide that was in the original box and as a pdf on the cd :)
Have you read that book yet?

#11 FloP

FloP

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 602 posts

Posted Jun 28 2011 - 02:13 PM

View PostJohn Woods, on Jun 28 2011 - 12:26 PM, said:

Pretty sure the most aggressive rear is 30/30/6, which is maybe good for Monza, Spa, etc., (courses with long straights and wide sweepers)..

This setting will give you massive oversteer on throttle and massive understeer off throttle. 30/85/6 gives you lots of oversteer in all situations, although you'd have to choose XX/85/1 for maximum off throttle oversteer. :)

#12 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,356 posts

Posted Jun 28 2011 - 03:34 PM

View PostMECH, on Jun 28 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

View PostFlaviusManlius, on Jun 28 2011 - 01:29 PM, said:

That's a simple way of telling that your tires have a flat contact patch with the tarmac.
I could be wrong but that's a basic guideline for a flat track like monza.

I believe this phrase was also in the setup guide that was in the original box and as a pdf on the cd :)
Have you read that book yet?

Yes, Martin is correct.  As a good rule of thumb, all three temps on the same tire should be the same and at optimum temperature.

GPL uses the average of the three temps to compute the tire pressure and resulting effect on grip.  It uses the maximum of the three temps to compute the temperature effect on grip.  It apparently makes no difference which tire section is the hottest.

#13 wreckah

wreckah

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted Jun 30 2011 - 03:17 AM

thanks for the input guys, been a bit busy the last couple of days, but planning a GPL weekend to further learn and understand how these cars should be driven :) (this is too much fun ;) )

View Postbrr, on Jun 28 2011 - 05:56 AM, said:

I would not place too much blame on the setup unless you are getting close to alien laptimes.

you are absolutely right. :) The 'slowness' lies with me, and i need to find out where i loose all this time. Studying alien replays and trying to use the whole track has helped a bit, but i think i need some fundamental altering of the driving in order to gain more speed. I've done a million testlaps on Kyalami, trying out different setups and lines, and it is quite frustrating to be many seconds away from proper good laptimes on such a small track and you can't really see where you are going wrong.

Is there a replay analyser which lets you compare two different replays next to eachother frame by frame?

#14 wreckah

wreckah

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted Jun 30 2011 - 03:33 AM

i just discovered that pribluda thing, very very interesting! thanks for the tip :)

#15 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,398 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Jun 30 2011 - 04:47 AM

View Postwreckah, on Jun 30 2011 - 03:17 AM, said:

Is there a replay analyser which lets you compare two different replays next to eachother frame by frame?

Yep, and it's called GPLReplayanalyzer, go figure  :lol:

You have several ways to check what's different if you load 2 replays (or even more)
It can even merge replays so you can see both cars in the same replay.
Try it, i'm sure you'll like it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links