Hans Heyer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F1
    Lanica

Posted Apr 19 2011 - 12:28 PM

Is anyone making a mod for 1964? It would be great if it was in progress, as in the last race a BRM a Lotus and a Ferrari all had a shot at the title. If not then unfortunately I would not be much help in making it, as Mod making is very tricky (I've had a go and now have full respect for those who slave away). Physics wouldn't be too dissimilar to 1965, and after a 5 minute look at Wikipedia I reckon we could get 20 drivers into 10 different cars. So if anyone's in progress making a '64 mod speak up! And if not then I had better muster up some support as it would be a great year to have on GPL.

Thanks in advance

#2 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 19 2011 - 01:58 PM

I proposed this several times, since it'd be pretty easy to modify from the 65 Mod (and add some improved physics) because there are only one or two cars to add. But it was never taken up.

These days, I'll be jumping in the street if the 62 cars shown here recently ever make it into a real mod  ;)

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -40)

#3 Guest_vosblodGuest_

Guest_vosblodGuest_
  • Guests

Posted Apr 19 2011 - 04:37 PM

Not heard of a 64 mod.
TBH if it's not got a new angle why do it when you could just set up a new carset a la 68's? The 65 mod brought in a whole new aspect from 67's as did the 69's with downforce and the 66's seemed to add a power dimension not to mention the GT's added something completely different too.
I don't know my 60's GP history that well but from what you are saying '64 isn't that different to '65 in terms of the cars/physics.
Personally I'd love to see a 50's and 30's mod being up in lights as that could add a whole new angle to historic racing.

BUT, and not a criticism, as an occasional tester I have an insight into how much work these new mods take and I often see posts saying why don't we have this mod/this track etc - great but 'the few who do much for so many' only have a finite amount of time.

#4 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted Apr 19 2011 - 07:19 PM

True. I know how much time GPL modding takes; that's why I proposed a 64 Mod (since it's so similar to 65) as a way to incorporate improved physics without messing with Rank times and the like (since it'd be a different season). And add another nice car or so, of course...

IMO, nothing would beat a 1962 Mod though  ;)

#5 tooncheesef1

tooncheesef1

Hans Heyer

• Members
  • 271 posts
    F1
    Lanica

Posted Apr 20 2011 - 04:18 PM

I understand what you are saying about how few mod makers there are vosblod, I am sure my pipe dream is the least of my worries. But if it were just a carset then - like 68 - what would need to be included? AI files, new liveries, a couple of extra cars (however they did in 66), programme covers...

To be honest I would try to make a 64 carset even if only I used it I like that year so much. Note the word try from my previous experiments with tracks and cars it might not be something I want to share with people!

Also I must ask Rudi, why 1962? What is it about that season?

#6 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Apr 20 2011 - 04:37 PM

View Posttooncheesef1, on Apr 20 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

Also I must ask Rudi, why 1962? What is it about that season?

in a single word? sharknose
:P

#7 Saiph

Saiph

Two-state solution supporter.

• Supporter
  • 1,446 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Apr 20 2011 - 05:09 PM

There are plenty of GPL mods in the pipeline already, and unlike some I'm a patient chap and prepared to wait. No need to add more to the modder's burden.  ;)
Saiph (a.k.a. yet another Keith) - My GPLRanks. My files/tools/utils: Extra "best lap" flags, GPLStats laptime lister,
GEM fixes for Thundercar and '69 Extra setups, TotalRank back-to-back comparison GPLb2b , alternate GT/Sports mod loading/menu screens, cleaner GT/Sports mod windscreens,

#8 Guest_vosblodGuest_

Guest_vosblodGuest_
  • Guests

Posted Apr 20 2011 - 05:39 PM

View Posttooncheesef1, on Apr 20 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

But if it were just a carset then - like 68 - what would need to be included? AI files, new liveries, a couple of extra cars (however they did in 66), programme covers...
I think that's the gist of it - a good place to go is the GPL Repository for help getting started. Extra cars might be tricky though but I'm not an expert...

#9 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends, Formula 1, Music, Anime.

Posted Apr 20 2011 - 11:31 PM

View Postvosblod, on Apr 19 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

Personally I'd love to see a 50's and 30's mod being up in lights as that could add a whole new angle to historic racing.

Gosh, I'm looking forward to the 1950s and 1930s, too!
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it. Please do not cure me."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#10 Clutch

Clutch

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted Apr 21 2011 - 06:04 AM

For me, i'm not too bothered if a 64 Mod is similar to the 65 Mod interms of Drivers, Cars, Physics & Tracks. It would still be interesting, even if there are only minor detail changes. I prefer 'full' Mods as opposed to a carsets like you can do with the 68's.

Obviously, because it would be so similar to the 65 Mod i'm sure it is well down on the Modders list, if at all, as they've got more 'interesting' GPL Mods in the pipeline - all in good 'GPL' time ofcourse.  :thumbup:

I must admit, i'd like to see another F1 Mod for GPL at some point in future. F1 racing in the 60's is still where GPL corners the market. Ofcourse, 50's or 30's Mods would be great too.

Like everyone else, i don't underestimate how much time it takes the Modders to build these Mods - literally YEARS of dedicated work. For me, that makes me appreciate the Mods even more when they come out. Similar to appreciating something that is hand built as opposed to mass produced.  :thumbup:

#11 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,127 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Aug 02 2011 - 02:01 PM

View PostRudy Dingemans, on Apr 19 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

I proposed this several times, since it'd be pretty easy to modify from the 65 Mod (and add some improved physics) because there are only one or two cars to add. But it was never taken up.

How you'ld figure that would work Rudy?

Out of interest i just was reading this and had a look at the drivers listing of 64 and come up with this summary:

ATS (D-F)
Brabham BRM BT11
Brabham Climax BT7 - v
Brabham Climax BT11 - v
Brabham Ford BT10
BRM P57/AP57
BRM P67

BRM P261 - v
BRP-BRM Mk1
BRP-BRM Mk2

Cooper Climax T66
Cooper Climax T73 - v (modified T77)
Cooper Ford T73
Ferrari 156
Ferrari 158
Ferrari 1512 - v(modified 512)
Honda RA271 - v (modified RA272)
Lotus BRM 24
Lotus BRM 25
Lotus Climax 24
Lotus Climax 25 - v(modified 33)
Lotus Climax 33 - v
Porsche 718
Scirocco Climax SP

The first and last entry can be ignored since they had no major part in the entire season.
Still several cars are missing (in bold) and several need to be modified from a 65 model. There were also some engine changes which need to modeled as well :think:

Edited by MECH, Aug 02 2011 - 02:06 PM.

Cheers,

Martin

GPL utilities 3dostrn,GPLRecord,GPLMixdrivers, GPLCarswitcher and the GPL Comic-book of Monza check my website

#12 Royale

Royale

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it.

Posted Aug 02 2011 - 02:55 PM

View PostMECH, on Aug 02 2011 - 02:01 PM, said:

View PostRudy Dingemans, on Apr 19 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

How you'ld figure that would work Rudy?

Out of interest i just was reading this and had a look at the drivers listing of 64 and come up with this summary:

ATS (D-F)
Brabham BRM BT11
Brabham Climax BT7 - v
Brabham Climax BT11 - v
Brabham Ford BT10
BRM P57/AP57
BRM P67

BRM P261 - v
BRP-BRM Mk1
BRP-BRM Mk2

Cooper Climax T66
Cooper Climax T73 - v (modified T77)
Cooper Ford T73
Ferrari 156
Ferrari 158
Ferrari 1512 - v(modified 512)
Honda RA271 - v (modified RA272)
Lotus BRM 24
Lotus BRM 25
Lotus Climax 24
Lotus Climax 25 - v(modified 33)
Lotus Climax 33 - v
Porsche 718
Scirocco Climax SP

The first and last entry can be ignored since they had no major part in the entire season.
Still several cars are missing (in bold) and several need to be modified from a 65 model. There were also some engine changes which need to modeled as well :think:

I stuck with seven slots and a smaller field in my "place holder"

Attached Files

I'm not Denny Hulme

#13 tooncheesef1

tooncheesef1

Hans Heyer

• Members
  • 271 posts
    F1
    Lanica

Posted Sep 12 2011 - 10:23 AM

Hi everyone, recently as a bit of fun I made copied and resized some 64 covers, perfect for a 64 carset! As far as I am aware page064 will now work, so I have had to use page065, which means you must choose between 65 covers and 64 covers. Fortunately I included the 65 covers so switching back is easy. I also apologize for the rubbish readme :duh: I'm not so good at them...

Previews:

Attached File  Nurburgring64.jpg   60.06K   22 downloads
Attached File  Brands Hatch64.jpg   355.29K   21 downloads

Its in .rar by the way.

Attached Files

Edited by tooncheesef1, Sep 12 2011 - 12:12 PM.

#14 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends, Formula 1, Music, Anime.

Posted Sep 12 2011 - 10:27 AM

View Posttooncheesef1, on Sep 12 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

Hi everyone, recently as a bit of fun I made copied and resized some 64 covers, perfect for a 64 carset! As far as I am aware page064 will now work, so I have had to use page065, which means you must choose between 65 covers and 64 covers. Fortunately I included the 65 covers so switching back is easy. I also apologize for the rubbish readme :duh: I'm not so good at them...

Previews:
Attachment Nurburgring64.bmp  
Attachment Brands Hatch64.bmp

Its in .rar by the way.

Looking nice!
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it. Please do not cure me."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#15 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,127 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Sep 12 2011 - 10:43 AM

If you upload the previews in jpg instead of bmp they will be visible on the forum ;)

Cheers,

Martin

GPL utilities 3dostrn,GPLRecord,GPLMixdrivers, GPLCarswitcher and the GPL Comic-book of Monza check my website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links