Jump to content


* * * * - 1 votes

Driving Tips


  • Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 John Woods

John Woods

    Be Somebody

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 12 2011 - 08:39 PM

View PostFlaviusManlius, on Jun 01 2011 - 05:12 AM, said:

I suppose you could but it seems like it would be easier to just get a usb gamepad (4 analog inputs: 2 paddles, 2 sticks)

Then what do you do with it...exactly? This seems like a good way to go for an "inexpensive" portable minimal Grand Prix Legends rig, after keyboarding I guess its the next step toward full addiction. What did you do, have to do, after you plugged it in? How do you use it?

(I'll read back thru the thread to check your  earlier comments about this, but if you have anything to add about using a gamepad with success, please if you don't mind let us know).

#122 s2173

s2173

    Skymole

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sofia, Bulgaria
  • Interests:Everything

Posted Jun 12 2011 - 09:04 PM

Mouse is definetly the most unexpensive solution for GPL controller I can think of...and im not that slow already...able to race so-so competetivly in my race league. Not that hard to learn to use it too... I went from +500 rank to +39 in 4 months. It has analog steer, brake, trottle, only thing it doesnt have is separate axis for trottle and brake. I can post the emulators i use if anyone wants... They are freeware too.
  
And I'l be able to go negative with mouse... already have negative at monza and silverstone. And i got 8.40 at the ring too...

   Actually i have usb gamepad, http://chivolub.bit2...er_buttons.html with 2 2-axis analog sticks and some digital buttons... maybe its bad quality one (what youl get anyway if you want it cheap), but sticks are too sensitive and have annoingly huge deadzone. Maybe i could learn to drive with it, but so far i wont bother... Mouse at least has huge sensitivity that can be acomoddated to your taste...

Edited by s2173, Jun 12 2011 - 09:07 PM.


#123 FlaviusManlius

FlaviusManlius

    Jack Brabham

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted Jun 12 2011 - 11:05 PM

View PostJohn Woods, on Jun 12 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

View PostFlaviusManlius, on Jun 01 2011 - 05:12 AM, said:

I suppose you could but it seems like it would be easier to just get a usb gamepad (4 analog inputs: 2 paddles, 2 sticks)

Then what do you do with it...exactly? This seems like a good way to go for an "inexpensive" portable minimal Grand Prix Legends rig, after keyboarding I guess its the next step toward full addiction. What did you do, have to do, after you plugged it in? How do you use it?

(I'll read back thru the thread to check your  earlier comments about this, but if you have anything to add about using a gamepad with success, please if you don't mind let us know).

There is an official Microsoft driver that will let you use it with the normal joystick configuration.  Unfortunately this means you can't set a dead-zone and the paddles are on the same axis (one -z, one +z), and there is no rumble.

There is a freeware 3rd party driver called XBCD (just google it) that lets you re-assign buttons and axes and it also enables rumble and lets you assign deadzone.

The last bit of software I use is a program called Control MK which lets you assign keyboard/mouse functions to the gamepad buttons.  So, for instance I use it to set the 'X' button on my controller to Shift-R so you don't have to reach for the keyboard to re-set the car.

After you have it installed in Windows you just calibrate in GPL.  I steer with the left stick, and shift with the right stick.  Brake with left trigger and gas with right trigger.  I have clutch set to the L button (between the L stick and L trigger) but I never use it.

Edited by FlaviusManlius, Jun 12 2011 - 11:08 PM.


#124 FlaviusManlius

FlaviusManlius

    Jack Brabham

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted Jun 12 2011 - 11:09 PM

View Posts2173, on Jun 12 2011 - 09:04 PM, said:

Mouse is definetly the most unexpensive solution for GPL controller I can think of...and im not that slow already...able to race so-so competetivly in my race league. Not that hard to learn to use it too... I went from +500 rank to +39 in 4 months. It has analog steer, brake, trottle, only thing it doesnt have is separate axis for trottle and brake. I can post the emulators i use if anyone wants... They are freeware too.
  
And I'l be able to go negative with mouse... already have negative at monza and silverstone. And i got 8.40 at the ring too...

   Actually i have usb gamepad, http://chivolub.bit2...er_buttons.html with 2 2-axis analog sticks and some digital buttons... maybe its bad quality one (what youl get anyway if you want it cheap), but sticks are too sensitive and have annoingly huge deadzone. Maybe i could learn to drive with it, but so far i wont bother... Mouse at least has huge sensitivity that can be acomoddated to your taste...

I noticed you shot ahead of my recently.  I was stuck on my Honda Nurburgring time for about 2 weeks :)  Wasn't playing too much, only a couple laps per day on average.

#125 s2173

s2173

    Skymole

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sofia, Bulgaria
  • Interests:Everything

Posted Jun 13 2011 - 07:25 PM

+29 rank and 8.32 at the ring... just 32 seconds more to go.

Wierd, when i remember, to get under 10 mins (hell, even 11 mins!) took me hundreds of laps and i was shivering from adrenaline when finished... now i cant do so bad times with my eyes clozed...few laps and - wee! new pb. Tought it would get harder with improvement. And im using the same setup and im driving worst than ever... well, i have new laptop, this time with touchpad mouse, not trackball...guess that helps.

#126 gzuf

gzuf

    John Love

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Germany
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 18 2011 - 01:35 AM

The best way to learn driving.. (it's like playing guitar).. start slow and speed up a bit each round.

Try driving in groups.
That's always my problem. I have no problems being alone on a curcuit. As soon as there are other cars I'm losing concentration, driving too fast or "forget" to brake. I feel the best when no one's behind me. So, I learn by driving in groups, carefully with lots of braking and trying not to bump into a car.. waiting for the best moment to pass.. remembering the corners I'm usually faster than the NPC cars (mostly right before corners).

#127 John Woods

John Woods

    Be Somebody

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 18 2011 - 09:00 AM

Posts on this thread now linked on Grand Prix Legends Ultimate Links, btw, in Technical Stuff section.
Thanks, guys.

Edited by John Woods, Jun 18 2011 - 09:01 AM.


#128 s2173

s2173

    Skymole

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sofia, Bulgaria
  • Interests:Everything

Posted Jun 18 2011 - 01:02 PM

Wow, seriously?

Better add some joystick emulators then if someone wants to try driving with mouse... these things are freeware and the companies seem extinct, cause I got them from some forums myself... I doubt there will be any legal problems with that.

First one, jmouse, is pretty straightforward, you install it, approve the drivers that windows rejects, and go to control panel, there click "game controllers", click "add" and find mouse joystick in the list.

Then you can configure it from start menu, mouse joystick properties. Most important is x scale/y scale in mouse tab, that is the axis sensitivity. As you can see, its extremely huge, default is 1024x768. I usially set it to 400x300. I prefer to set brake/trottle axis lover than steering axis, but you can set it as you prefer. Restart the pc, the open gpl.

Calibration will pop up and if everything went fine you will see the calibration lines moving when you move your mouse. Move the mouse to both ends and center both bars, then press enter. After that you can assign trottle to mouse forward, brake to mouse back and steering to mouse left/right. I put shift up/down on the left and right mouse buttons.

Btw, joy emulators wont interfere to your normal windows work, they wont capture the mouse and you can navigate game menus with no trouble at all. Seems it activates only in games that support joystick, and yes, it works in all games.

Now, problem is, that jmouse sometimes interferes with some motherboard resources and the driver wont activate at all (gives you error when you try to select it from game controller list). You can try to make it use other resources. Go to control panel/system/hardware/device manager, there you will see the standart game port marked with exclamination mark if you have problems, right click properties/resources/set configuration manually and try to switch between the basic configurations - but it wont allways work. Thats why now i use the other one, PPjoymouse.

Install PPjoymouse and approve all drivers. After that go to start menu, parallel port joystick, configure joysticks. Press "Add", then just expand the drop down menu on joystick ports and select "virtual port". Add it and close.

Then go to control panel/game controllers and activate the driver "PPjoy virtual joystick 1" in the game controller list (this one never had problems at my computers.) Go back to start menu/parallel port joystick, and send a shortcut of PPjoymouse to your desktop. Open it. You will need to open it every time before running gpl, to use the virtual joystick. There are sensitivity settings here, I set them usially to  75 xgain, 140 ygain. Save your settings to .ini to load them easely when you open ppjoymose (you'll need to do that every time you want to use the emuator).

Then, (this is important) press ctrl/alt/del, press tab processes, locate PPjoymose and set its priority to high or wery high. This is important only for gpl, because it takes too much priority over the joystick otherwise. Then open gpl and calibrate the controller the same way as jmouse.

The unconvinient thing about ppjoymouse is that every time you'll need to open it, load ini settings and set priority before running gpl, but its not as hard as it sounds.

Umm...that sounds extremely complicated and dangerous, but I doubt you'll manage to ruin your pc that way... If you understand what I'm blabbering about at all...  :idunno:

Attached Files


Edited by s2173, Jul 02 2011 - 08:31 AM.


#129 FlaviusManlius

FlaviusManlius

    Jack Brabham

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted Jun 18 2011 - 11:58 PM

View Postgzuf, on Jun 18 2011 - 01:35 AM, said:

The best way to learn driving.. (it's like playing guitar).. start slow and speed up a bit each round.

Try driving in groups.
That's always my problem. I have no problems being alone on a curcuit. As soon as there are other cars I'm losing concentration, driving too fast or "forget" to brake. I feel the best when no one's behind me. So, I learn by driving in groups, carefully with lots of braking and trying not to bump into a car.. waiting for the best moment to pass.. remembering the corners I'm usually faster than the NPC cars (mostly right before corners).

That's funny I only started recently driving in races (against computer) and it's helped me stay more focused on driving.

Before, I was looking too much at segment times/rpms.

#130 s2173

s2173

    Skymole

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sofia, Bulgaria
  • Interests:Everything

Posted Jul 07 2011 - 09:45 AM

Btw, what sounds are you using? I started driving the eagle lately, but the engine sounds loopy at high rpm... like "wouuuuwouuuwouuwouu"... not sure if it should sound like that, the 66's eagle sound is awesome. I used tifo's soundpack for 67, but in any other soundpack I managed to find eagle sounds the same... Or it maybe really sounded like that?

Eagle is great machine anyway... got me to +6 rank and 8.26 at nurby...

#131 DuncanS

DuncanS

    Jochen Mass

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Swanage-Dorset-UK
  • Interests:Music & Light!
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 09 2011 - 04:48 AM

View Posts2173, on Jul 07 2011 - 09:45 AM, said:

Btw, what sounds are you using? I started driving the eagle lately, but the engine sounds loopy at high rpm... like "wouuuuwouuuwouuwouu"... not sure if it should sound like that, the 66's eagle sound is awesome. I used tifo's soundpack for 67, but in any other soundpack I managed to find eagle sounds the same... Or it maybe really sounded like that?

Eagle is great machine anyway... got me to +6 rank and 8.26 at nurby...

Here's a guy who raced with a mouse for steering and the keyboard for throttle, brake & shifting here, if any of you want to check out other keyboard racers just type in 'keys' into the search driver database at GPLRank and you will find a long list. Continued success with your journeys




#132 s2173

s2173

    Skymole

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sofia, Bulgaria
  • Interests:Everything

Posted Jul 22 2011 - 11:19 AM

Finally got 8.22 at the ring with ferrari... 0.300 sec behind benchmark. Because i messed the last turn...

And got negative rank overall with measely -0.022... not sure i can improve anymore and that I have reason to do it...

#133 s2173

s2173

    Skymole

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sofia, Bulgaria
  • Interests:Everything

Posted Oct 12 2011 - 08:46 PM

Just some update... got to -15 67 rank and -1.5 66 rank with mouse... a bit more competetive in races too.

I still use the PPjoy program, and if any of the keyboarders would like to experiment, it has a PPjoykey application... it can be used to tricking gpl that buttons are actually axis movements, and removing the forced brake and trottle assists. Im not sure its possible to drive that way, my keyboard lags ingame and I havent driven like that for a while.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links