#1 JohnnyFiama

JohnnyFiama

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 03 2011 - 09:06 AM

I've been playing around with setups with the 69 cars at Kyalami this week.  I improved my times with the Matra by over a second from the last time I was driving with this mod so I was pretty pleased.

I was trying to think of something new to try so I took the wings off completely.  With the wings set (I was running 8.75 at the front and 14 at the rear) I had a fairly neutral car edging towards understeer.  With the wings set to "No wing" I had loads of understeer initially so started making some changes and soon got it back to how I like it.  It now handled more like a 67 car but with more grip and more power (which isn't suprisingly as that is pretty much what it is!).

Within 10 laps I was now setting times a 0.2 seconds faster than my best setting with wings!  Is this because:

(1) I'm a rubbish driver and my lap times are random...
(2) My default settings had too much wing (8.75/14)
(3) It's quicker round Kyalami with no wings as the straight is so long

I'll try it out tomorrow but am I likely to get quicker if I start adding the wing back in?  Is their an optimum setting for each circuit?

Edited by JohnnyFiama, Feb 03 2011 - 09:10 AM.

#2 Dark - guest

Dark - guest
  • Guests

Posted Feb 03 2011 - 01:19 PM

Interesting... i've never tried the 69's with no wings. I've just run through the rest of the 69 monster rank and what i did this time was use a Steve Cloyd setup but knock of 2 degrees of front wing to give it a little more understeer.

It took me quite a while to learn to push the cars real hard to exploit the extra grip generated from the wings. I've always assumed that you need to keep the speed up so the wings work so if your speed drops in the corners so does the grip and you lose shed loads of time. For me i had to alter my mindset completely for the winged cars

#3 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Feb 03 2011 - 03:09 PM

I think your feeling more comfortable without wings because the cars handle more like the 67's ;)
To get better times with the 69's you need to make more use of the higher cornering speeds you can drive with these cars.

Having that said i must admit i haven't been able to try the 69's more then i would like to.
I just don't at the moment because i lack time and 2nd i always need to adapt to other mods after having driven these  :D
And lacking drive time means i can't drive them as quick as the 67's either ;)

#4 Frenchy

Frenchy

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 531 posts

Posted Feb 04 2011 - 03:47 AM

View PostJohnnyFiama, on Feb 03 2011 - 09:06 AM, said:

I've been playing around with setups with the 69 cars at Kyalami this week.  I improved my times with the Matra by over a second from the last time I was driving with this mod so I was pretty pleased.

I was trying to think of something new to try so I took the wings off completely.  With the wings set (I was running 8.75 at the front and 14 at the rear) I had a fairly neutral car edging towards understeer.  With the wings set to "No wing" I had loads of understeer initially so started making some changes and soon got it back to how I like it.  It now handled more like a 67 car but with more grip and more power (which isn't suprisingly as that is pretty much what it is!).

Within 10 laps I was now setting times a 0.2 seconds faster than my best setting with wings!  Is this because:

(1) I'm a rubbish driver and my lap times are random...
(2) My default settings had too much wing (8.75/14)
(3) It's quicker round Kyalami with no wings as the straight is so long

I'll try it out tomorrow but am I likely to get quicker if I start adding the wing back in?  Is their an optimum setting for each circuit?

Merging some replays done with wing and no wing (using GPLRA) should give you the answers.

Edited by Frenchy, Feb 04 2011 - 03:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links