Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 26 2012 - 10:16 AM

This is problem with GPL AI. AI cars change line rapidly. At Daytona's banking one car makes rapid move to the right to go high. Such move cause car to slide and it loose speed. Because pass cannot be complete it makes rapid move down to racing line. Such maneuvers are dangerous, unrealistic and useless for AI cars, I think. That's why I removed passing from banking parts. To make safe pass we need way to control AI speeds of line changing: on low speeds cars should do quicker changes of lines, on high speeds this changes should be smoother.

Edited by Pavel, May 26 2012 - 10:18 AM.

#32 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,453 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted May 26 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostPavel, on May 26 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

This is problem with GPL AI. AI cars change line rapidly. At Daytona's banking one car makes rapid move to the right to go high. Such move cause car to slide and it loose speed. Because pass cannot be complete it makes rapid move down to racing line. Such maneuvers are dangerous, unrealistic and useless for AI cars, I think. That's why I removed passing from banking parts. To make safe pass we need way to control AI speeds of line changing: on low speeds cars should do quicker changes of lines, on high speeds this changes should be smoother.

Thks for your input.

A thing I noticed is brutal line changings are mainly a problem sometimes with the 60 fps patch .But then they rejoin the normal racing line with no particular problem. And one of the positive addition with the 60 fps patch, is AI 's pass are more frequent and dynamics. Although sometimes AI behaviour is no realistic .

Edited by M Needforspeed, May 26 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#33 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,453 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 11:33 AM

Using sometimes the Ai 60 fps patch with the correct car static ride height, and tweaking the D long Speed adjustment coefficient, so they complete realistics laps times overall .

Edited by M Needforspeed, May 26 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#34 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,453 posts

Posted May 31 2012 - 10:30 AM

Pavel,

here a replay where you see a surprisingly natural car pass at the Targa Florio, with the 60 fps ai patch.I have witnessed AI' s passing from time to time with this patch,at various parts of the track .I set the D long speed adjustment so they achieved laps time in the 37' XX" / 39 ' XX" range for fastest/lowest cars, trying to reflect as much as possible the realism police 1967 laps times.
Best lap time during race was Herbert Müller 330 P4 with 37 ' 09 and Vacarella practice, with 37'12.
fAs you know, if you look at the replay at 36 fps, car wld go a lot slower )
Look at Maglioli / Hawkins cars for the pass . It looks as if Maglioli missed a gear changing and Hawkins, putting pressure on him, took advandage to do a clean pass !

will test later with your new AI ' s.

(was without your news TF Ai' s )

Attached Files

Edited by M Needforspeed, May 31 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#35 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Jul 11 2012 - 11:20 AM

I've noticed these problems too. I wonder if you tried to make the AI only attempt to pass on the inside line (pass1), such as making the race line and pass2 line identical. I'm curious as to what was the preferred line (outside or inside) to pass at Daytona in reality?

#36 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Jul 11 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostJMF, on Jul 11 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

I've noticed these problems too. I wonder if you tried to make the AI only attempt to pass on the inside line (pass1), such as making the race line and pass2 line identical. I'm curious as to what was the preferred line (outside or inside) to pass at Daytona in reality?
That won't work, GPL AI code is aware that there is a gap between the racing line lp and the track boundary so even if you have a pass line the same as the race line the ai will still be able to overtake on that side. The lp passing lines are just to let the ai behave and choose a proper overtaking line. You might have better luck putting the line you don't want them to use a bit closer to the race line so it's more likely they will choose the other line since it has more room. With that in mind also try to put the race line in such a way an overtaker will most likely choose the proper passing line. Iirc an ai car will always try to overtake on the inside based on it's yaw so even if you have followed some of these rules there's no guarantee it will all work out fine. Check the Aiedit helpfile for more insights on this, saves you the time figuring it out the hard way..;)

For corners i give up the proper racing line so both passing lines can be used. This way an overtaker will have room still entering a corner side by side. This is a bit depending on if the corner has cones with collisions or other solid objects. if the corner has runoff area i widen the min/max lines so the overtaker can use the trackside when forced off.

P.S. For high speed sections you need to keep the passing lines close to the raceline, about a car width e.g. 1.6 is what i normally use as offset. Using larger distances will have more swerving effect and causes ai to loose control more often.

#37 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted Jan 27 2017 - 03:45 PM

Hi,
When GT mo was released I made attempt to improve AI speeds with special lp files. Since then I made some adjustments to files, fixed some problems. Also I’ve adjusted driver ini’s because some AI drivers had very low hype settings that made them too slow on straights. So to improve playability I gathered cars a little bit.

So recently I review whole pack, replaced Spa with new Spa67 and prepared it for release. Maybe someone else find this files useful too.

In archive you can find new track lp’s and game ini’s. Simply extract this archive into GPL main folder and overwrite all files. In case you decided to go back to original files I’ve included old files in the archive’s backup folder. But you still need to manually remove *.lgt files from track folders.

Notes
  • I recommend to use with this GT update my AI updates for Brands Hatch, Le Mans, Spa67, Kyalami, Reims. They can be found here http://srmz.net/inde...opic=10490&st=0
  • There is new version of gplaGT.ini in archive. After installation please adjust NTP settings to your taste.
  • Le Mans track (bsarthe) has option to have AI cars going three-wide or two wide on Mulsanne straight. By default 3-wide version is used. If you want 2-wide races then copy files from appropriative folder inside ‘bsarthe’ folder.
Enjoy!

Attached Files

#38 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • Interests:Unknown
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Jan 27 2017 - 04:54 PM

Awesome! Thank you Pavel!

#39 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,722 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Jan 27 2017 - 10:05 PM

Thank you for this massive amount of AI work, Pavel.  I look forward to driving with more invigorated AI drivers!  :)

Which mods use the *.l67 files and which use the *.lp files?  Which will be used by the '67 Patch v1.3 ?

#40 gregc

gregc

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted Jan 28 2017 - 01:20 AM

Thanks Pavel, much appreciated.

#41 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted Jan 28 2017 - 02:30 AM

View Postgliebzeit, on Jan 27 2017 - 10:05 PM, said:

Which mods use the *.l67 files and which use the *.lp files?  Which will be used by the '67 Patch v1.3 ?
All openwheel mods use general *.lp filse. But for gpl67 v1.3 (gplc67.exe) and for 67 historical v2 (gpl167.exe, gpl267.exe, ... gpl767.exe) I suggest to have pass1, pass2 and race with *.l67 extension. You can do it only if lp file use real speeds and not generated with AIEdit tool. All my AI updates use 'real' speed extracted from replays. Thats why in every track AI update I include *.lp and *.l67 files.

Everything above was bout open wheels. For GT'67 I made mod specefic lp file - *.lgt. This files use speeds from GT cars and not suit for other mods. They should be used only with GT mod and only with *.lgt extension.
Same story with CA71 mod. It use lps with *.lCA extension.

#42 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:climbing

Posted Jan 28 2017 - 03:10 AM

thanks Pavel, another welcome update :)

#43 Andreh

Andreh

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Pre-80's racing

Posted Jan 28 2017 - 06:20 AM

Pavel, thanks for your work.
I have a question. Doall those files from variou AI mods need to be reinstalled when racing that specificalmod(they overwrite files used by other cars) or they are completely independent?

#44 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted Jan 28 2017 - 07:41 AM

View PostAndreh, on Jan 28 2017 - 06:20 AM, said:

I have a question. Doall those files from variou AI mods need to be reinstalled when racing that specificalmod(they overwrite files used by other cars) or they are completely independent?
No, you don't need to reinstall files. Usually everything is work independently or share common files.

#45 Andreh

Andreh

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Pre-80's racing

Posted Jan 28 2017 - 02:09 PM

great. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users