• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 03 2011 - 07:48 AM

View Postsky, on Dec 31 2010 - 12:36 PM, said:

i will post what i have left next year :P
   Flying to Lisbonne for some holidays on 24 december, I didn't see your textures gift, Sky

At least, I can say now I had one present for Christmas

#17 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Jan 03 2011 - 08:17 AM

:P
been meaning to gather the real ai & player skins in 2048x for this ford and post them for some time. didn't get to do it during the rush at work these past 2 weeks. once done, will start posting the files for the ferrari, too. i keep losing track of these things. too much stuff to do, not enough time and being all over the place do not help  :shrug:

#18 Larko29

Larko29

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted Nov 05 2011 - 02:38 PM

Thank you Sky the MKII looks even nicer now  :hat-tip:

#19 sky

sky

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted Nov 05 2011 - 07:42 PM

Larko, thanks for bringing this up!

seriously, I had already managed to forget that i haven't released the 2048x reality based ai skins. so i dipped into my archive, found what i believe are the missing files, slapped together yet another readme, that most likely contains some errors (again :rolleyes:), zipped the lot and voila herer they are. these are the skins that i use myself. however my player car is a real '66 season skin (guess which one :P)

note.. did i ever release the ferrari skins ? i mean all of them (online / offline) in 1024x 32bits, as i'm sure i didn't release the 2048x skins. i think i had to do something with the alpha channel on all of those..

NOTE: these are 32bits only skins. they require you to use v2 rasters. if you don not run v2 gpl WILL ctd if you try to run these skins.

Attached Files

Edited by sky, Nov 05 2011 - 07:44 PM.

#20 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Nov 05 2011 - 07:49 PM

Yay, just spotted these hot off the press. Can't resist trying them! Thanks Sky!  :thumbup:  :clap2:

EDIT: Just spent some time testing the skins and they look absolutely great. Only problem for a hotlapper like me is that the skins only show up in race mode, and at the appropriate races. So I cheated, I selected each skin in turn and renamed it to "G4body27.mip" which is the testing mode car, and it worked. The only slight glitch was that when the camera switched to the "low detail" car model, the body changed back to the yellow colour scheme. But if you're in testing mode, the camera only has your car to focus on, so it doesn't happen too often. If anyone wants to try the renaming trick, here's a list of the files with the main body colour:

G4body01.mip - Yellow
G4body02.mip - Black
G4body03.mip - Red
G4body04.mip - Lt Brown
G4body05.mip - Orange/Red
G4body06.mip - Grey
G4body57.mip - Lt Blue
G4bodyL5.mip - Lt Brown
G4bodyL6.mip - White
G4bodyS2.mip - Black

Edited by Saiph, Nov 05 2011 - 09:11 PM.

#21 sky

sky

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 05:29 AM

hi keith,

yup, i've only included the 2048x reality based ai cars. all the make believe models are not included (that would have been quite possibly a +30meg download or even more than that - plus i didn't find them right away in my skip with old files :P).
i think - not sure as it's been quite a while since i tinkered with these cars - that to get your player car to show the correct distant LODs is to use the car.3do matching the skin you want for your player car. say if you want to use the light blue #57 le mans car, you grab it's .3do file, copy and rename it to the player car. that way, your player car will be a light blue base car (you will notice the side air intake colors match in color then as well), plus it will load it's default skin (which should be the #57 anyway since that is sort of hard coded in the .3do file). so it shouldn't be necessary to rename your intended texture to that of the default player car name (g4body27).

i was wondering what the default skin is, so it's the yellow one?

#22 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 06:22 AM

View Postsky, on Nov 06 2011 - 05:29 AM, said:

hi keith,

yup, i've only included the 2048x reality based ai cars. all the make believe models are not included (that would have been quite possibly a +30meg download or even more than that - plus i didn't find them right away in my skip with old files :P).
That's understandable. There are a large number of alternative body files in the original .dat file, and to cover them all would have been a lot of work. Just covering the "real life" ones is a good idea, and (although I'm no expert) I think you've done a great job.

i think - not sure as it's been quite a while since i tinkered with these cars - that to get your player car to show the correct distant LODs is to use the car.3do matching the skin you want for your player car. say if you want to use the light blue #57 le mans car, you grab it's .3do file, copy and rename it to the player car. that way, your player car will be a light blue base car (you will notice the side air intake colors match in color then as well), plus it will load it's default skin (which should be the #57 anyway since that is sort of hard coded in the .3do file). so it shouldn't be necessary to rename your intended texture to that of the default player car name (g4body27).
That's interesting - I'll try some experiments with the .3do's and see if it works. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: I've just spent some time extracting the appropriate .3do files from the .dat, separating them into named folders, copying them in and renaming them one at a time. It works perfectly. I can now choose any of your hi-res skins for the player car, and I get the correct details and distant LOD skins. Excellent!

i was wondering what the default skin is, so it's the yellow one?
Yes, that's right. The solo car is yellow with the black stripes, number 27.

Edited by Saiph, Nov 06 2011 - 08:11 AM.

#23 rcb

rcb

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 96 posts

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 09:32 AM

note.. did i ever release the ferrari skins ? i mean all of them (online / offline) in 1024x 32bits, as i'm sure i didn't release the 2048x skins. i think i had to do something with the alpha channel on all of those..

I believe the only other hires skins you've released are the Chaparral 2D.  I hoped that you hadn't forgotten about them, but I didn't want to post about it and seem pushy.  :)  Anyway, thanks for releasing these. They look great at 2560x1600.

-Curt

#24 sky

sky

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 10:30 AM

View PostSaiph, on Nov 06 2011 - 06:22 AM, said:

hi keith,

That's understandable. There are a large number of alternative body files in the original .dat file, and to cover them all would have been a lot of work. Just covering the "real life" ones is a good idea, and (although I'm no expert) I think you've done a great job.

thank you :)

well actually, all the car skins i did for the GTs (or rather starting with the GTs and everything afterwards) have been done in 8192x8192. that includes the AI, real and make-believe for "my" cars (chap2d, gt4mk2, 330p4). so everything you got with the original mod release or in the later updates were just resized down to 1/4th (2048x), 1/8th (1024x) or 1/16th (512x) really.
why? simple. at first it seems incredibly big and my machine was at times struggling with the files - a memory upgrade to 8gb cured most of the bigger worries (the P4 was the breaking point), but you can just put a whole lot more detail in it and be considerably more precise in the placement of the decals. due to the way the cars are skinned, some decal might be cut in half, the upper half being in the top view, the lower half in the side view. getting them to line up exactly is a bit of a trial and error process. and even at a resolution of 2048 this was sometimes down to individual pixel movements to one side or the other to get as close to perfect a match between the sides. with lower res textures you just get one blurry mess which is harder to allign properly. that is also why i never liked 512x textures. 1024x for me is tolerable, but my preferences lie with "the higher, the better". within reasonable boundaries, of course. i have never even tried a 4096 texture on the car, let alone the fullsize one - i can only guess at the filesize of one such 32bit texture in gpl... a couple hundred mb for sure (for a single texture).. that defeats the point really.
anyway so with more detail and sharper decals resizing them to a smaller size is basically just a click of a button, with better results (imo) than if i had done the skins at the smaller final resolution. they just turn out way crisper this way. in my opinion anyway.

oh and just for reference.. the monza P4s have triangular stickers with a "!"on the side - at 2048x you can descern there is probably something written underneath the tri. at 8192 you could actually read it :P. at 512 you can probably make out that there is something inside the tri...

on the .3do - you can always just open a .3do with notepad. that way you cannot edit it, of course, but you see which texture is called for the mainbody so you know which texture to replace when you decide to use this .3do as your player car...

curt,
no worries mate. sometimes a little push can keep my focus up. seeing the post that brought this back up, i realized i hadn't even worked on the p4 skins for over a year. i'm currently working on getting the 32bits (512, 1024 and 2048) skins ready. the 16bit (1024) versions will probably follow at a later time, as they need special loving during conversion to get as close to zero colour banding as possible (same issue i had with the chap2d 16bits).

#25 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted Nov 08 2011 - 06:28 PM

Ok, for all those out there who would like to use Sky's paint schemes for hotlapping/solo mode, but who are not too familiar with moving and renaming lots of files, here's a step-by-step guide which should be fairly easy to implement and use. Earlier in this thread, I described copying and renaming .mip files. After Sky's recommendation, using this method of copying .3do files works much better because you get Sky's colour scheme, and you get the correct body details, and you get the correctly-coloured low-detail car model when the car goes off into the distance.

Here's how to set things up:

[1] Download whichever set of Sky's files you want to use, 512, 1024 or 2048, and unzip them to your "carsGT\mk2gt40" directory. These will show up in race mode without any further action.

[2] Download the "Test mode #27 car files" zip attached to this post, and again unzip it into your "carsGT\mk2gt40" directory. This will give you a sub-directory called "Test mode #27 car files".

[3] If you look inside the "Test mode #27 car files" directory, you will see further sub-directories describing all the different colour schemes and car numbers. Select the one you'd like to use for solo mode, and copy (don't move) the "mk227.3do" file to the "carsGT\mk2gt40" directory.

[4] Start GPL in the normal way, go to testing mode, select your track, click the green button, and you should be in your selected car.

[5] Any time you want to change cars, just select a different .3do file from the appropriate sub-directory, and copy it into "carsGT\mk2gt40", overwriting the previous file.

[6] If you want to revert back to the default car, either copy the .3do from "Yellow - Black str - 27 default", or just delete the "mk227.3do" file from the "carsGT\mk2gt40" directory so that the original inside the .dat file is used.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files

Edited by Saiph, Nov 08 2011 - 06:35 PM.

#26 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Oct 02 2012 - 11:53 AM

I watched photos from Sebring 1967 race on Flickr (http://www.flickr.co...727/5585129577/) and noticed that Grossman/McNamara Ford has differ paint schem then one in the mod.

Roman, maybe you can make correction for this car.

Attached Files

Edited by Pavel, Oct 02 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#27 sky

sky

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted Oct 02 2012 - 03:43 PM

pavel, correct me if i'm wrong, but that car is a GT40 (mk1), not a GT40 MK2b. so i don't believe there is a dedicated skin for this car (as an mk2b). there may be a #17 car GT40, but i haven't checked. for the MK2b it's just a random skin "real" skin got a #17 slapped on. there is also no real #11, #14 or #19 MK2 skin. according to here, it's a plain jane GT40 (mk1)  http://www.racingspo...1967-04-01.html - just look at the way the tail arches are.
so if anything you should check the gt40's skins. i could build this skin for the MK2b, i guess, by moving some decals around and changing colours here and there, but i'd say it's not very high on my priority list atm. i haven't touched the sportscars since releasing the files above and not worked on them for real since just before releasing the actual mod.

#28 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,631 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Oct 02 2012 - 05:56 PM

My brother GD is working on a big update for the MK1 with all the different textures they had in 67 and adding also some from 66 and some other year too.
I saw the work the other day and I must say is really impressive;he was studing a detail in one single picture of a car that I could neither see a difference from the rest :P .
He will be ready in not long time I guess; should be a month of work but he really has no time in this period and is working just on sunday afternoon so Gpl time...

#29 Larko29

Larko29

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted Oct 02 2012 - 09:12 PM

Great to hear Ginetto, look forward to seeing his work when its ready in GPL time.... :artist:

#30 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Oct 03 2012 - 01:05 AM

:blush: Oh, It's my fault. :duh: Yes it was GT40 Mk1.

Ginetto, great to hear your brother is working on GT40 Mk1 update. :thumbup: I look forward to seeing his Ford.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links