sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 17 2010 - 01:36 PM

hm here's the first round of "updates" for the chaparral 2D. update is actually a bit misleading, as these skins were done before the release of the mod, but weren't included as we didn't want to confuse people any further regarding 16bit vs 32bit, v1 vs v2 rasterizers, etc. and to keep the install quick and easy...

well anyway, here's two packages, one including 1024x1024 skins in 16 & 32bit for the 2 "real" AI cars, #14 at daytona '67 and #5 at sebring '67 plus the #27 player skin, the other including 2048x2048 skins of the same in 32bit (V2 rasterizers ONLY!) for the reality-challenged people, such as myself :P.

also please bear with me on the readme things. i wouldn't necessarily put one out, as i keep ignoring them myself until something goes horribly wrong and i want to know why, but hey, as i made the effort to actually slap one together, you might as well read it.

and as usual the disclaimer, 32bit means you HAVE TO use the V2 rasterizers. OGL V2 or D3D V2, doesn't matter as long as it is V2. just have to stress that so there's no bitching when GPL crashes, because someone thought V1 and 32bit do mix - they don't. i've tried. ;) (should i make that line my sig now or what? i keep copy/pasting it). spelling errors in the readme are solely there for your entertainment, i hope you appreciate that. :thumbup: :D

and just in case, i do have all the other AI cars (read online skins) in 1024x or 2048x (16 & 32bit) as well - but will only upload them if someone really really wants them because you will only ever see them if you race online (which i don't, hotlapper and all that).

Attached Files

#2 G.Spinning

G.Spinning

Enzo Ferrari

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted Dec 17 2010 - 04:23 PM

Many thanks. Very much appreciated all three skins :clap2:

P.S. I was used to use GPL Image Viewer lo look at the image files as mip etc. I realized now that actually it is not compatbile with the 32 bit files. Which other utility can I use?

#3 sky

sky

• Members
  • 1,546 posts

Posted Dec 17 2010 - 04:43 PM

View PostG.Spinning, on Dec 17 2010 - 04:23 PM, said:

Many thanks. Very much appreciated all three skins :clap2:

P.S. I was used to use GPL Image Viewer lo look at the image files as mip etc. I realized now that actually it is not compatbile with the 32 bit files. Which other utility can I use?
thank you! i'll be posting the same for the mk2 and p4 soon(ish) as well.

you can use the latest version of nigel's papybmp which is the tool to use when converting as winmip flips you off trying to do 32bit mips or you can use racecon which is what i have associated with .mip files in my windows install

#4 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Dec 17 2010 - 05:24 PM

after your Green Piper Sebring Ferrari, will test your highest textures for the Chap 2D , Sky .Thanks a lot for make it public !  :thumbup:

indianapolis 1967 review at...

Speedgeezers ( thanks Paul Jackson for hosting - and now Bill Cooper!)

http://dixierunners....967/indy67race/

#5 Nunya88

Nunya88

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted Dec 19 2010 - 07:29 AM

View Postsky, on Dec 17 2010 - 01:36 PM, said:

hm here's the first round of "updates" for the chaparral 2D. update is actually a bit misleading, as these skins were done before the release of the mod, but weren't included as we didn't want to confuse people any further regarding 16bit vs 32bit, v1 vs v2 rasterizers, etc. and to keep the install quick and easy...

well anyway, here's two packages, one including 1024x1024 skins in 16 & 32bit for the 2 "real" AI cars, #14 at daytona '67 and #5 at sebring '67 plus the #27 player skin, the other including 2048x2048 skins of the same in 32bit (V2 rasterizers ONLY!) for the reality-challenged people, such as myself :P.

also please bear with me on the readme things. i wouldn't necessarily put one out, as i keep ignoring them myself until something goes horribly wrong and i want to know why, but hey, as i made the effort to actually slap one together, you might as well read it.

and as usual the disclaimer, 32bit means you HAVE TO use the V2 rasterizers. OGL V2 or D3D V2, doesn't matter as long as it is V2. just have to stress that so there's no bitching when GPL crashes, because someone thought V1 and 32bit do mix - they don't. i've tried. ;) (should i make that line my sig now or what? i keep copy/pasting it). spelling errors in the readme are solely there for your entertainment, i hope you appreciate that. :thumbup: :D

and just in case, i do have all the other AI cars (read online skins) in 1024x or 2048x (16 & 32bit) as well - but will only upload them if someone really really wants them because you will only ever see them if you race online (which i don't, hotlapper and all that).
Thanks so much :thumbup:  it looks great! The Sebring 2D was always my favorite version with the chin spoilers(hated the "luggage" rack though :P  )Maybe in the future we can have those "sexy" mustaches as an add on too?
I always thought the small block 2D might have been a good car for Targa Florio.
When asked how his automatic transmission worked Jim Hall would answer-"Fine.Just fine"

#6 Alan Davies

Alan Davies

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:GPL of course.
    Cycling: Road and Off Road.
    Driving well and safely.
    Climbing, Mountaineering and Armchair Polar Exploration.
    Photography.
    Growing Vegetables.
    Cacti and Alpines (tough survivors).
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Dec 19 2010 - 08:25 AM

I'm a bit confused with the technical talk details.  How do I know which files to use?
Any sceenshots?

#7 sky

sky

• Members
  • 1,546 posts

Posted Dec 19 2010 - 09:12 AM

alan, is this regarding 16bit / 32bit? if it is, the solution is simple:

if you are using GEM (and i sort of suggest that), find the first attached screenshot. if what is highlighted in blue says either "Open GL V2" (as in my case) or "Direct 3D V2" in your settings, then you should be good to go to use the 32bit stuff. if your GEM is set to anything else, please use the files from the 16bit folder.

if you are not using GEM, then check the options screen in gpl and have a look at the highlighted item in my 2nd screenshot. if you're using either of the two V2 rasterizers there, you are golden for the 32bit stuff. as before, if you use something other than the V2's there, use the files from the 16bit folder.

if that wasn't your point and you wanted to know how to maybe use the #5 sebring skin as your player car, then that is easy, too. depending on what you chose above, copy the file you want to your 2DChap folder and rename it to 2dc27.mip. please note though, that your car will then be running the #5 instead of the actual #27 (you are assigned by the game). so you may end up in a race with two #5's - at least graphically... ;)

Attached Files

#8 Larko29

Larko29

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted Dec 19 2010 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for sharing these Sky I grabbed both not sure if I can race online with them but they sure look nice offline.

Looking forward the rest of the goodies you have for these beasts

Craig

#9 grizz

grizz

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted Dec 19 2010 - 03:41 PM

Sky, thank you for your excellent work.  :thumbup:

grizz
grizz

#10 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted Dec 20 2010 - 02:31 AM

Gorgeous! Thank you!!  :clap2:

Posted Image

#11 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography.

Posted Dec 20 2010 - 04:53 AM

[quote name='sky' date='17 December 2010

[/quote]

Does this refer to the Chapparal updates too, or are they visible offline ?

Edited by Paddy the Irishman, Dec 20 2010 - 04:54 AM.

#12 sky

sky

• Members
  • 1,546 posts

Posted Dec 20 2010 - 05:50 AM

ah, that was the question? ;) guess i misunderstood it then.

the skins i have updated / upoaded above are the OFFline skins. these will be used at tracks, where those cars raced during the real season (#14 at daytona, #5 at sebring). at other races during the 1967 season where no 2D was entered, there are no "OFFline" skins for it. so you should not see a 2D race against you in a '67 sportscars (OFFline) race at brands - unless you edit the .ini (but let's ignore that for a moment).

the ONline skins only come into play when you are racing ONline. i've never really understood (or really cared to understand ;) for that matter) how an ONline skin is designated to a player - tommie could probably fill you in on that. anyway, i have not included them (the ONline skins) in this package as those are another almost 60 skins adding a bit of extra weight to your install and are hardly ever seen - unless you race a lot ONline

if you have downloaded my update above, the skins based on the realworld cars (OFFline!) are updated - the ONline skins stay the same as included in the mod release. as noted, i do have updated skins for the ONline cars as well. and if someone wants them, let's hear it and i'll upload them, no problem :).

btw i went wild on the underscore stuff, :yeah:

#13 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Dec 20 2010 - 11:35 AM

tried the 2048 X 2048 skins at 1920X 1080, running in pack with two others chaps 2D, and they don 't seems to affect much the results : 60 fps with the fps60aiv1 ! Well done !

Edited by M Needforspeed, Dec 20 2010 - 11:36 AM.

indianapolis 1967 review at...

Speedgeezers ( thanks Paul Jackson for hosting - and now Bill Cooper!)

http://dixierunners....967/indy67race/

#14 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted Dec 20 2010 - 11:47 AM

Brilliant work, Sky! Like you, I'm into hotlapping and the occasional race against the AI, but I do enjoy watching the replays, and taking screengrabs. I for one would be absolutely delighted if you uploaded all the offline skins. And people like me might want to adapt online skins for offline use. Lordy, GPL just keeps getting better and better and better!!! Thanks again, top work!  :hat-tip:

#15 CraigT

CraigT

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Golf
    Racing

Posted Dec 20 2010 - 11:55 AM

I'd love the ONLINE skins   :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users