CraigT

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Golf
    Racing

Posted Nov 12 2010 - 10:18 PM

I am struggling a bit with the default setups...I am having a problem getting the cars to turn in. It's like I am "tight in" and then "loose in the middle".
Anybody got any setups?

Edited by CraigT, Nov 12 2010 - 10:19 PM.

#2 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 13 2010 - 05:13 AM

View PostCraigT, on Nov 12 2010 - 10:18 PM, said:

I am struggling a bit with the default setups...I am having a problem getting the cars to turn in. It's like I am "tight in" and then "loose in the middle".
Anybody got any setups?

Have you compared steering ratio with setups of other mods you use?
This sounds as steering ratio not matching your wheel.

#3 CraigT

CraigT

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Golf
    Racing

Posted Nov 13 2010 - 05:28 AM

Thanks Mech  :duh:
I'll check that.I have been tinkering with everything else and never even thought of the steering ratio

#4 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,768 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Nov 13 2010 - 09:34 AM

Anybody got any setups?
As well as steering ratio, something else that has been mentioned in other threads is that there is a very different perception of speed with the GT cars. With their heavier weight, and lower-revving engines, I find that it seems like you have to slow down a lot more when turning in to a corner. However, if you compare the actual cornering speeds between the GTs and the other mods, they are only slightly slower. I think it's just a question of getting used to the new "feel".

EDIT: I've just checked the GPLRank site, and they're now showing the correct tracks for the GTRank. I've already gone green at Spa and Daytona with the Ferrari, and also at Spa with the Lola, so I think the default setups are pretty good - at least for my driving style.

Edited by Saiph, Nov 13 2010 - 10:07 AM.

#5 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Nov 13 2010 - 10:54 AM

View PostSaiph, on Nov 13 2010 - 09:34 AM, said:

Anybody got any setups?
As well as steering ratio, something else that has been mentioned in other threads is that there is a very different perception of speed with the GT cars. With their heavier weight, and lower-revving engines, I find that it seems like you have to slow down a lot more when turning in to a corner. However, if you compare the actual cornering speeds between the GTs and the other mods, they are only slightly slower. I think it's just a question of getting used to the new "feel".

EDIT: I've just checked the GPLRank site, and they're now showing the correct tracks for the GTRank. I've already gone green at Spa and Daytona with the Ferrari, and also at Spa with the Lola, so I think the default setups are pretty good - at least for my driving style.

Also check the steering linearity of your GT player. It should be set to 'full linear' . You can find it in the GPL Options menu.

:wave: Tommie.

#6 Josef Paul

Josef Paul

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted Nov 14 2010 - 03:11 PM

I agree the perception is different and I really like it. To help with turn in, I changed the diff settings from 85/30/3 to 30/85/1. This is more like what I am used to in the other cars and it makes a big difference in feel, if a bit harder to drive. That's the only change I've made. The default setups are terrific!

#7 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Nov 14 2010 - 04:30 PM

Yes, that is also a good point.

If you read the readme in the setups/setupsGT folder you will find my notes on gearing and drive train settings and will find that my diffs are a lot more like those you run (i.e. more aggressive), and I agree that they really do affect how the car turns.

For defaults, it was decided to set with the more conservative Papy style default 85/30/3 diff as this is more accessible to more users and it was assumed that those who knew how to set the car up would change things like diff, steering ratio, brake bias etc. to their preferred settings.

The defaults were never intended (or expected) to be the ultimate solution, but merely a sensible set of values in the right sort of ball park to start from and also to help most users get out on track and not just spinning down the pitlane. The spring settings should be about right and are set for cars of the weight of GT cars (1.5 times or more than F1 cars), and so are the ARBs etc.

Rob

#8 john roberts

john roberts

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:/.

Posted Nov 14 2010 - 08:39 PM

can i say something about default setups , they were made for normal drivers and to make them safe .

they were made to have a good balance with a very safe diff so most gpl drivers would be able to keep these heavy cars on track , they were not made for aliens or for people at the pointy end of the grid .

it is expected that those know who how to change setups will put in their normal diff , steer ratio , toe and camber while playing with the defaults .

after that it is also expected that they change bars (and wheelrates) to suit their style of driving in that order .

theses setups where made to give people some "ball park" numbers which they could change within their understanding before other setups become available .

john

#9 FloP

FloP

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted Nov 15 2010 - 06:54 AM

Now you got me thinking. Do you have any data about how the cars were set up historically? Do the default setups come close to those settings or would I have to change a lot to make them more realistic? :wave:

#10 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted Nov 15 2010 - 07:52 AM

View PostFloP, on Nov 15 2010 - 06:54 AM, said:

Now you got me thinking. Do you have any data about how the cars were set up historically? Do the default setups come close to those settings or would I have to change a lot to make them more realistic? :wave:

Hi FloP,

We have very little to no information on the real world setups.  There is some info on the web for current day GT40 MkI replicas, but I've no idea how close those are to the '67 versions.

#11 FloP

FloP

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted Nov 15 2010 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! In this case I don't think I'll change the suspension settings very much, because you have obviously put much more thought into them than I could. (Also, I never know how to find reasonable values...) I'll probably make them a bit more loose to match my driving style, but I assume that no-one would have made them quite so unstable back in '67. On the other hand, it's likely that I'll lose the back end a couple of times per lap at the Targa - but whenever I'm sliding, I'm smiling. ;)

#12 ZiggyM

ZiggyM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted Nov 18 2010 - 11:12 PM

I made these setups shorly after the GT67 mod came out.  They haven't been worked on but were something that I used to help me stay on the track.

For some cars, I found data for gear boxes and used it for the setup.  For others, I used the 'default' settings.

The basic setup uses the weight and balance of the car to set the spring rates and sway bars. I set the tires so they would read around 32psi when hot as recommended by the GT67 readme.

These are basic setups and are not world class, world record setups. They are slow and stable and should allow the driver to learn the car and track.

They last 20 laps at Dayto24H but your mileage may vary.

These are the fast laps I posted at Dayto24H using 5 gallons of fuel for each setup (5 to 7 laps depending on the car):

Car_____________________Setup Name______Lap Time
Ford GT40MkIIB..........try_Mk1.gh1.....1:53.424
Chaparral Mk2D..........try_Mk2D.gb1....1:53.500
Lola T70 MkIII..........try_T70.gc1.....1:52.483
Chaparral Mk2F..........try_Mk2F.gd1....1:53.957
Ferrari 330/P4..........try_330.ge1.....1:52.023
Ford GT40 MkIV..........try_MkIV.gf1....1:53.068
Mirage M1...............try_M1.gg1......1:53.709
Ford GT40 MkI...........try_MkI.gh1.....1:56.575
Porsche 910.............try_910.gi1.....1:55.484

The differentials are set to my preference (30/85) and will probably be the first thing most people will want to change.

Have fun!
ZM

Attached Files

#13 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 19 2010 - 07:37 AM

Thanks Ziggy  :thumbup:

#14 Greg

Greg

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted Nov 19 2010 - 06:57 PM

Thanks! Ziggster

Edited by Greg, Nov 22 2010 - 06:46 PM.

#15 blewi559

blewi559

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:online racing, racing sims
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Feb 05 2017 - 09:20 AM

Thanks Ziggy.  I at least can be somewhat competetive now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links