Jump to content


Whew, I Was Getting Worried There!


  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Saiph

Saiph

    Two-state solution supporter.

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aylesbury, UK
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 05 2010 - 05:54 PM

Glad to see SRMZ back up and running again! It doesn't usually disappear without trace like that. Hope it wasn't too much of a headache to fix, and that everything is ok now.  :wave:  :yeah:

P.S. SRMZ isn't powered by a Rolls-Royce Trent 900 jet engine, is it?  ;)  :D
Saiph (a.k.a. yet another Keith) - My GPLRanks. My files/tools/utils: Extra "best lap" flags, GPLStats laptime lister,
GEM fixes for Thundercar and '69 Extra setups, TotalRank back-to-back comparison GPLb2b , alternate GT/Sports mod loading/menu screens, cleaner GT/Sports mod windscreens,

#2 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

    Denny Hulme

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 06 2010 - 02:33 AM

During this one day off,I though of all the consequences on GPL if SRMZ disappeared for good. Wld it be possible to go to an alternative place ?
Entering leagues forums, or using some Facebook members names to try to rebuilt something,sending e.mail messages to our contacts... what else?  

  Fortunatly, it was only a nightmare and waking up was nice !

  Certainly, Keith and Bill , you wld be the last to blame, as without you,no SRMZ so far.

  If members posted here what wld be in their opinion the alternatives, that 's be interesting to read.How they wld react and make decisions to save their GPL life ?

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 06 2010 - 02:37 AM.

indianapolis 1967 review at...

Speedgeezers ( thanks Paul Jackson for hosting - and now Bill Cooper!)


http://dixierunners....967/indy67race/


#3 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 06 2010 - 03:12 AM

Thanks to Bill or Keith however fixed the servers!
If we can help please let us know!

#4 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

    Denny Hulme

  • Moderator
  • 739 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 06 2010 - 07:53 AM

View PostBernd Nowak, on Nov 06 2010 - 03:12 AM, said:

Thanks to Bill or Keith however fixed the servers!
If we can help please let us know!


As Bernd said !!

Thanks to Bill and Keith for the hard work !!  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :clap2:

AP


#5 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

    Denny Hulme

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brisbane, Australia
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 06 2010 - 09:04 AM

View PostArturo Pereira, on Nov 06 2010 - 07:53 AM, said:

View PostBernd Nowak, on Nov 06 2010 - 03:12 AM, said:

Thanks to Bill or Keith however fixed the servers!
If we can help please let us know!


As Bernd said !!

Thanks to Bill and Keith for the hard work !!  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :clap2:

It can't be said enough, Thanks guys  :clap2:
Craig

#6 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

    Denny Hulme

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bavaria, Germany
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 06 2010 - 11:48 AM

View PostBurnsy865, on Nov 06 2010 - 09:04 AM, said:

View PostArturo Pereira, on Nov 06 2010 - 07:53 AM, said:

View PostBernd Nowak, on Nov 06 2010 - 03:12 AM, said:

Thanks to Bill or Keith however fixed the servers!
If we can help please let us know!


As Bernd said !!

Thanks to Bill and Keith for the hard work !!

It can't be said enough, Thanks guys  

+1 Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 06 2010 - 02:44 PM

Yeah, it's kinda.... cool.   ;)  :yeah: :drunk:

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -40)

#8 Pedro

Pedro

    Pedro

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hillegom - The Netherlands
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Nov 07 2010 - 09:38 AM

View PostBurnsy865, on Nov 06 2010 - 09:04 AM, said:

It can't be said enough, Thanks guys  :clap2:

So truth  :thumbup:    Posted Image Guys!

#9 Greg

Greg

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Location:Warren, Pa., US
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 10 2010 - 03:12 PM

Ditto!  Thanks!

#10 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

    Denny Hulme

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 14 2010 - 01:16 PM

Worried I was on the short failure last week.... worried I am by this one.

  Thks Keith and Bill, and whoever is in charge of the site management and data recovering...Isn 't it the number of WSC Posts and Mod dld that explain the server failure ? (Sat 13 to Sunday 14)

  We alls use SRMZ everyday.... But explaining who does what and how many people take care of SRMZ wld be a good thing, imo.

After all, if Keith and Bill are alone, SRMZ is a fragile thing that rely only on them .Are they supported by others dedicated GPlers that can do  a part of the job for them, or "replace" them, in case of emergency ?  

  Recently, Keith, you said you have been ill and absent.We were certainly a few to take note.I wishes you the best recovery, that the least we can wish to you !!  :rolleyes:
But what are your plan to strenghten the future of SRMZ/Repository/Track database, and above  all BCSims ?

michel

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 14 2010 - 01:25 PM.

indianapolis 1967 review at...

Speedgeezers ( thanks Paul Jackson for hosting - and now Bill Cooper!)


http://dixierunners....967/indy67race/


#11 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

    Denny Hulme

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 14 2010 - 01:48 PM

Saiph,


And the Rolls Royce wldn 't get my vote! Hope SRMZ had got better engines, as you suggest

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 14 2010 - 01:50 PM.

indianapolis 1967 review at...

Speedgeezers ( thanks Paul Jackson for hosting - and now Bill Cooper!)


http://dixierunners....967/indy67race/


#12 Bill

Bill

    BRM Freak

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:U.S. Wise Va.

Posted Nov 17 2010 - 11:02 AM

View PostSaiph, on Nov 05 2010 - 05:54 PM, said:

Glad to see SRMZ back up and running again! It doesn't usually disappear without trace like that. Hope it wasn't too much of a headache to fix, and that everything is ok now.  :wave:  :yeah:

P.S. SRMZ isn't powered by a Rolls-Royce Trent 900 jet engine, is it?  ;)  :D

Haha, nope, not one of those thank goodness :)

View PostM Needforspeed, on Nov 14 2010 - 01:16 PM, said:

Worried I was on the short failure last week.... worried I am by this one.

  Thks Keith and Bill, and whoever is in charge of the site management and data recovering...Isn 't it the number of WSC Posts and Mod dld that explain the server failure ? (Sat 13 to Sunday 14)

  We alls use SRMZ everyday.... But explaining who does what and how many people take care of SRMZ wld be a good thing, imo.

After all, if Keith and Bill are alone, SRMZ is a fragile thing that rely only on them .Are they supported by others dedicated GPlers that can do  a part of the job for them, or "replace" them, in case of emergency ?  

  Recently, Keith, you said you have been ill and absent.We were certainly a few to take note.I wishes you the best recovery, that the least we can wish to you !!  :rolleyes:
But what are your plan to strenghten the future of SRMZ/Repository/Track database, and above  all BCSims ?

michel

Some details from behind the scenes.
I take care of all the techie stuff behind the scenes and pay the bills for the servers, software and registers.
Cost of this is aprox $4300.00 year - donations which are usually around $700-1000 year.
I will be working on cutting this cost with some restructuring coming soon.

At the moment everything is running on 3 servers which I hope to cut back to 2 with some work.
Are there plans in place for the what if? Not really, there are offers to help but nothing really about taking over if
something were to happen to me.
This is important to know and possibily work out back up plans for since I host just about all of GPL
and its sites,files, developer forums and there files etc.

While this is a good thing to keep it all organized it is also a bad thing if something like the RSC debacle were
to happen to us, only I think it would be worse since I host way more GPL then RSC did.

Are there ways to help me in this? Sure is!

I can always use donations, there are never enough and the anything to pick up the donations are welcomed.
I can always use tech help to help with managing the servers and sites to keep everything in working order
and to help relieve my work load.

If any of you are interested in mirroring some of the sites for the just in case senario that would be great as a backup plan.
Biggest thing to remember folks is as long as Im around I will keep plugging away and if I do disappear from the community
I will make certain that we get things moved somewhere to restore what we have now :).
Bill
BCSims
Speedgeezers
SRMZ
SGN Admin
BCSims Admin
SRMZ Admin

#13 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

    Denny Hulme

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 18 2010 - 07:57 AM

Bill,

  I just send a PM that has no aim, now.Thks for all the details.Reading " behind the lines" as we say in my country,your message is that it wld be better if GPL stuff users helped more.I will do it no later than now.

  michel

indianapolis 1967 review at...

Speedgeezers ( thanks Paul Jackson for hosting - and now Bill Cooper!)


http://dixierunners....967/indy67race/


#14 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

    Denny Hulme

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 18 2010 - 08:09 AM

And to help mirroring a site, do I need to have my own site and pages already, or a internet provider blog pages can be good for a limited number of pages?

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 18 2010 - 08:10 AM.

indianapolis 1967 review at...

Speedgeezers ( thanks Paul Jackson for hosting - and now Bill Cooper!)


http://dixierunners....967/indy67race/


#15 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

    Denny Hulme

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bavaria, Germany
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 18 2010 - 09:24 AM

View PostBill, on Nov 17 2010 - 11:02 AM, said:

Some details from behind the scenes.
I take care of all the techie stuff behind the scenes and pay the bills for the servers, software and registers.
Cost of this is aprox $4300.00 year - donations which are usually around $700-1000 year.
I will be working on cutting this cost with some restructuring coming soon.

Hello Bill,

thx for the details!
The costs are far more than I had expected, although I imagined, that it will be a lot. Posted Image

Did you ever think about a kind of visual display graphic / gauge, that shows how much money has been donated and how much money is still needed to pay all the costs for one year?

I think people would spend more, or spend at all, if they would see how much money is acutally needed, every time they enter the SRMZ site.

Cheers
Stefan

Edited by Stefan Roess, Nov 18 2010 - 09:26 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links