Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 07 2010 - 10:47 AM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Nov 07 2010 - 10:36 AM, said:

I am checking the complete Lola T 70 numbering entries ( not only for 1967, but for the following years and all the races, from WSC to obscures SCR) using John Starkey book on the Lola T 70, but at the moment there is no evidence of it.

Maybe it was fitted later on lesser known British constructors sport cars, like the Nomad and the like.

Tomorrow's update will include notes on my chassis research.  I've tried to track down every chassis number used in 1967 and where it is now or even if it still exists.

There were five Lola chassis used and I can't account for two of them so I'd appreciate you taking a look.

#62 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,453 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Nov 07 2010 - 11:02 AM

View PostLee200, on Nov 07 2010 - 10:21 AM, said:

Early on, we were asked about including the Alfa and it certainly was  a pretty car, but we didn't have a good 3D model and it competed in the 2.0L prototype class.  
It there ever is a mod upgrade, then the Alfa would be at the top of the list.

Lee

I forgot : if one day works begin on it,I' ll have blueprints and various side pics,as well as the dimentions.

#63 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,453 posts

Posted Nov 07 2010 - 11:04 AM

View PostLee200, on Nov 07 2010 - 10:47 AM, said:

I am checking the complete Lola T 70 numbering entries ( not only for 1967, but for the following years and all the races, from WSC to obscures SCR) using John Starkey book on the Lola T 70, but at the moment there is no evidence of it.

Maybe it was fitted later on lesser known British constructors sport cars, like the Nomad and the like.

Tomorrow's update will include notes on my chassis research.  I've tried to track down every chassis number used in 1967 and where it is now or even if it still exists.

There were five Lola chassis used and I can't account for two of them so I'd appreciate you taking a look.
  Nice  to have done it ! It will add to the credential of the mod.What a long and consuming job !  

What are those two chassis numbered Lolas cars ? I 'll search now, if you give me the info.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 07 2010 - 11:07 AM.

#64 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,388 posts

Posted Nov 07 2010 - 11:18 AM

Here is the info I have on the five Lolas:

SL73/101--Team Surtees car.  Currently owned by Ean Pugh in England.
SL73/102--Sid Taylor car.  Currently owned by Anders Hedborg in Sweden.
SL73/105--Mike de Udy car.  Purposely crashed during making of 1970 LeMans film.  Unknown status.
SL73/112--Jackie Epstein car that finished 4th at 1967 Spa.  Currently owned by Andre Bailly in France.
SL73/121--Team Surtees car.  Unknown status.

Edited by Lee200, Nov 07 2010 - 11:18 AM.

#65 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,453 posts

Posted Nov 07 2010 - 11:48 AM

View PostLee200, on Nov 07 2010 - 11:18 AM, said:

Here is the info I have on the five Lolas:

SL73/101--Team Surtees car.  Currently owned by Ean Pugh in England.
SL73/102--Sid Taylor car.  Currently owned by Anders Hedborg in Sweden.
SL73/105--Mike de Udy car.  Purposely crashed during making of 1970 LeMans film.  Unknown status.
SL73/112--Jackie Epstein car that finished 4th at 1967 Spa.  Currently owned by Andre Bailly in France.
SL73/121--Team Surtees car.  Unknown status.

SL73/ 121

sold in 1996 by Jean Guikas, a french owner who lives in Marseilles. Then gone to the USA .Badly crashed on 17/2/2001 on an historic race at Morose Park track.The suspenssion broke .very badly damaged.Only engine, gearbox, uprights salvageable. After 1995, the car was fitted with a 5 liters Aston Martin engine.Guikas was searching for it, to return to the original livery,as it was when he entered the Le Mans round.Starkey found this engine on a lot of 10 engines.

In Between, the car was sold in 1968 to Jackie Epstein by Eric Broadley.Then to Brian Bolton in South Africa.Then sold to an "englishman" who used it as a road car on british roads :thumbup: :blink: .After 1975, the owner stored it in the garage until it sold it to Jean Guikas.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 07 2010 - 12:22 PM.

#66 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,453 posts

Posted Nov 07 2010 - 12:01 PM

Lee,

As a small present for your work... a pic.
3 others T 70 coupés were completed in 1967.The less known of them to date, was sent to Japan where he entered the 1967 Mount Fuji Gp of Japan (3/5/67), with Ginji Yasuda as driver.SL 73 /116 probably.Starkey has certainly corrected the mistake on his last opus, because the car was already in Japan at the beginning of May, and not on the 26/5/67.He was still for sale in Japan in 2000 .After ??

here at the start of the Japan GP race

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 07 2010 - 12:06 PM.

#67 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,453 posts

Posted Nov 07 2010 - 12:20 PM

SL 73 / 105

The last infos Starkey got: it is under restoration by Peter Gerster, a German who own it since 1982.

Before Le Mans movie, the  car was already owned by a German, Edmond Dursch.After it has been used by Solar productions (certainly on loan)for the Le Mans movie,the bodywork was repaired.Then,Edmond  Dursch raced it in the Interseries races, in 1972 and 73 .Between 73 and 82, no infos on this chassis.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 07 2010 - 12:30 PM.

#68 Chuck Curtis

Chuck Curtis

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted Nov 07 2010 - 12:28 PM

View PostLee200, on Nov 07 2010 - 10:47 AM, said:

Can these updates be added to the first post so they are all in one place?

Thanks
Chuck

#69 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,388 posts

Posted Nov 07 2010 - 12:41 PM

Chuck, all these notes will be included with mod.

#70 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,388 posts

Posted Nov 07 2010 - 12:44 PM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Nov 07 2010 - 12:20 PM, said:

SL 73 / 105

The last infos Starkey got: it is under restoration by Peter Gerster, a German who own it since 1982.

Before Le Mans movie, the  car was already owned by a German, Edmond Dursch.After it has been used by Solar productions (certainly on loan)for the Le Mans movie,the bodywork was repaired.Then,Edmond  Dursch raced it in the Interseries races, in 1972 and 73 .Between 73 and 82, no infos on this chassis.

Thanks for new info.  I didn't have access to Starkey's book.

I"ll add this info to my notes.

It's amazing that even those chassis that were wrecked over the years have been recovered and are still around.  This applies to the Ferraris, Chapparals, and Fords too.

#71 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,453 posts

Posted Nov 07 2010 - 01:39 PM

I think that soon those pics will be uploaded somewhere else... Aerogi site, for instance.I remember during the RSC days, sharks looking for fresh blood were never far away..

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 07 2010 - 01:41 PM.

#72 nakazato

nakazato

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Racing
    Programming
    Chemistry

Posted Nov 07 2010 - 02:45 PM

I would like to extend my deepest thanks and respect for all those involved in putting this thing together.

I've been involved with GPL since the winter of 1998, and over all the years that have passed (and especially now), it is extremely clear that the mod/development community for GPL is perhaps the most fervently dedicated and finest in the world.

You guys are awesome.

Keep up the phenomenal work!

#73 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted Nov 08 2010 - 01:37 AM

View Postnakazato, on Nov 07 2010 - 02:45 PM, said:

I would like to extend my deepest thanks and respect for all those involved in putting this thing together.

I've been involved with GPL since the winter of 1998, and over all the years that have passed (and especially now), it is extremely clear that the mod/development community for GPL is perhaps the most fervently dedicated and finest in the world.

You guys are awesome.

Keep up the phenomenal work!

Not much to add to this. It's so great to see how much work they put into the mods with research and stuff to get the possible closest thing which is possible in GPL. If not most of them would have the same problems with some other sims I bet they would even let those shine. But better not. GPL has a much broader hardware base then some of the newer and I would hate to split the community.
I'll understand the people which want to take full use of the GPU/CPU and monitors but to me, having tested some of the other sims, GPL has a much more streamlined programming interface to start with. Track and graphics feel is something special while for sure made better by iRacing but we will never see historic cars on historic tracks and a championship which is spread around several so different cars like the BRM and Lotus.

So I can only thank to the whole team which will give us this mod and as a sidenote honor most of the others which had been on the creditlist :)

Great cars  :artist:

#74 Royale

Royale

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 510 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it.

Posted Nov 08 2010 - 03:56 AM

And then we have what Nigel Roebuck (once Autosport; now Motorsport) said of Le Mans in 1967:

"...As for the 1967 race, all I can tell you is that my friend Jabby Crombac, who has seen virtually every Le Mans since the war, reckons that to have been the best ever. Virtually every world-class driver on earth was in that race, from F1, from Indy cars, even from NASCAR. It was essentially a fight between Ford and Ferrari, with such as Chaparral and Porsche also prominently involved. In the end, victory went to the Ford of Gurney and Foyt, at an average speed of over 135mph...

Consider the 'entry' that drew me to Le Mans in '67. Four factory-entered Ford Mk4s, driven by Gurney/Foyt, Bruce McLaren/Mark Donohue, Mario Andretti/Lucien Bianchi, Denny Hulme/Lloyd Ruby, plus three Mk2s, for Ronnie Bucknum/Paul Hawkins, Frank Gardner/Roger McCluskey, Jo Schlesser/Guy Ligier, and a GT40, for Brian Redman/Mike Salmon. There were two of the extraordinary Chaparral 2Fs, one of them driven by Phil Hill/Mike Spence, and a pair of Lola-Aston Martin T70s, one handled by by John Surtees/David Hobbs.

Deep breath... There were a couple of JW Automotive Mirages, for Jacky Ickx/Brian Muir and David Piper/Dick Thompson. Then we get on to the Ferraris, a trio of the gorgeous P4s, for Chris Amon/Nino Vaccarella, Mike Parkes/Lodovico Scarfiotti, Gunther Klass/Peter Sutcliffe, plus the Equipe Nationale Belge car of Willy Mairesse/'Beurlys', and the P3/4s of Richard Attwood/Piers Courage, Pedro Rodriguez/Giancarlo Baghetti, and Jean Guichet/Herbert Muller.

What next? Oh yes, the factory Porsches, crewed by Jo Siffert/Hans Hermann, Jochen Rindt/Gerhard Mitter, Rolf Stommelen/Jochen Neerpasch, and Vic Elford/Ben Pon. The works Matras were handled by Jean-Pierre Beltoise/Johnny Servoz-Gavin and Jean-Pierre Jaussaud/Henri Pescarolo, and the Alpine by Gerard Larrousse/Patrick Depailler..."

A fine time awaits us all  :clap2:

#75 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,388 posts

Posted Nov 08 2010 - 05:54 AM

Yes, that was so cool that way back then, the Formula 1 drivers competed in the sports cars too.  At Brands Hatch, there were seven former or future F1 champion drivers in the field. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links