#1 shanec80

shanec80

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 19 2010 - 09:43 PM

Hello I was wondering if anyone here can offer any advice.

The specs of my system:
Dell Inspiron 530S
Windows Vista Home Premuim 64 SP2
Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz
4.00 GB RAM
Just Put in a ATI Radeon HD 4650 upgrading from the integrated graphics

OK- I recently purchased and installed a ATI Radeon HD 4650 graphics card and i am having some problems.  GPL used to run just fine under my old integrated graphics card (an intel g33/g35 chipst family or something like that) but i decided to upgrade to get better performance.  Just for the record, programs like rFactor and DOSBOX work way better on the new graphics card, but I am having a load of problems now with GPL:

-GPL running under D3D/Opengl or D3DV2/OGLV2 always runs somewhat hesitant.  certian things are pretty much unrespnive. Example: when I try to use the Accelerated Time feature, the game slightly freezes and by the time I am able to uncheck the feature the time has run down from 15:00 to about 3:00.  Gameplay is also somewhat rough.

-Under D3DV2, in the replay window, the stream bar flickers and the buttons flicker/go away/ are not visible.  Overall Gameplay is slow/choppy.  Pribluda works but slows down the gameplay even more.

-Under OpenGLV2 the replay window functions fine but the gameplay is choppy and slow- worse that D3D, and when I try using Pribluda it worsens the choppyness and causes problems with the dashboard. Example: When I start gameplay or press a pribluda button all the dash information goes away and they comeback individually as each number changes.  They will all come back in if i press F10 two times.

I am sure there are some other problems that i am forgetting as well.  I have tried "Nigels new rasterisers" but i either cannot get them to work or they make no difference.  I have been messing with the rasteriser settings/graphics card settings but am stuck.

If anyone can shine some light on this I would appreciate it.

Shane

#2 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Sep 20 2010 - 12:36 AM

View Postshanec80, on Sep 19 2010 - 09:43 PM, said:

-Under OpenGLV2 the replay window functions fine but the gameplay is choppy and slow- worse that D3D, and when I try using Pribluda it worsens the choppyness and causes problems with the dashboard. Example: When I start gameplay or press a pribluda button all the dash information goes away and they comeback individually as each number changes.  They will all come back in if i press F10 two times.

Are you using Pribluda dashboard, or the DDM one (i.e. same as in F10 view)? If the latter, see what happens when disabling it.

#3 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Sep 20 2010 - 12:58 AM

Did you use drivercleaner to remove all the drivers from your old card?
(Remove them manually does not always clean all the updates)

I had the same problem when I replaced my ATI card, then I used driversweaper to remove everything and then installed the new card again.
Then it worked fine, it's worth the trying I think.

Edited by Millennium, Sep 20 2010 - 12:59 AM.

#4 shanec80

shanec80

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Sep 20 2010 - 12:46 PM

View Postbrr, on Sep 20 2010 - 12:36 AM, said:

View Postshanec80, on Sep 19 2010 - 09:43 PM, said:

Are you using Pribluda dashboard, or the DDM one (i.e. same as in F10 view)? If the latter, see what happens when disabling it.

I am using the regular gpl dash... I think I used the DDM to increase the size of the text due to the high resoulution.  I feel like this problem has to do with the Pribluda conflicting with the gpl dash...

#5 shanec80

shanec80

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Sep 20 2010 - 12:59 PM

View PostMillennium, on Sep 20 2010 - 12:58 AM, said:

I had the same problem when I replaced my ATI card, then I used driversweaper to remove everything and then installed the new card again.

Actually this is the first card I have put in (I am a rookie at this), and I DID NOT remove any old drivers from my old card.  The old "card" is an integrated card...there was nothing to remove- I just installed the new card in the slot. Are you sure I should have removed the drivers?  All I did was install the new card and install the new drivers from the CD.  This could be the problem if I should have deleted the old drivers...  Can I unintall the drivers from within windows, or should i use another program?  And after I uninstall them, will I be able to reinstall the new drivers with my new card already hooked up?

Thanks for the help

Edited by shanec80, Sep 20 2010 - 01:09 PM.

#6 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,321 posts

Posted Sep 20 2010 - 01:26 PM

I have a feeling that you are required to disable the onboard graphics chip, but I'm no expert on this or how to do it.  Maybe in control panel > system > hardware > device manager > display adapters

#7 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Sep 20 2010 - 01:47 PM

View Postshanec80, on Sep 20 2010 - 12:59 PM, said:

View PostMillennium, on Sep 20 2010 - 12:58 AM, said:

Actually this is the first card I have put in (I am a rookie at this), and I DID NOT remove any old drivers from my old card.  The old "card" is an integrated card...there was nothing to remove- I just installed the new card in the slot. Are you sure I should have removed the drivers?  All I did was install the new card and install the new drivers from the CD.  This could be the problem if I should have deleted the old drivers...  Can I unintall the drivers from within windows, or should i use another program?  And after I uninstall them, will I be able to reinstall the new drivers with my new card already hooked up?

Thanks for the help

It was my first card too, so I was very nervous. :P

But I came to this site with the same problem, but I had a 512mb HD5670, which I replaced with a 1Gb HD5670.
I've just put in the new card, and like you, all the games worked fine, except GPL.

Then I was told I had to remove all the drivers (also from the new card) and then install them again.
You don't need to remove the card physical, just leave it in there. Then I installed it with the CD, and till this day I didn't upgrade my drivers.
Then GPL worked fine again.

I shall look for the old topic, it could help maybe.

Here it is:http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=5955

Edited by Millennium, Sep 20 2010 - 01:49 PM.

#8 senor_k

senor_k

Nino Barlini

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted Sep 20 2010 - 05:37 PM

View PostBob Simpson, on Sep 20 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

I have a feeling that you are required to disable the onboard graphics chip, but I'm no expert on this or how to do it.  Maybe in control panel > system > hardware > device manager > display adapters
For most motherboards you have to do it in the BIOS setup as well. Usually it's under the "Integrated Peripherals" menu, though of course it varies from motherboard to motherboard. Check your manual.

View PostMillennium, on Sep 20 2010 - 01:47 PM, said:

Then I was told I had to remove all the drivers (also from the new card) and then install them again.
You don't need to remove the card physical, just leave it in there. Then I installed it with the CD, and till this day I didn't upgrade my drivers.
Then GPL worked fine again.
This is the standard procedure for installing a new GFX card. You have to make sure that you get rid of every trace possible of the old card from your system, then install the software for the new one.

#9 shanec80

shanec80

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Sep 20 2010 - 08:03 PM

OK Thanks for all the help-
I am gaining some ground, but somewhere I am still missing something...

I tired uninstalling the old video card drivers and this is what happened:

I hooked up my old integrated card, rebooted, went to the properties and was able to uninstall the drivers.  After hooking back up to the new card, I did not attempt to uninstall/reinstall those drivers; instead I tried out GPL, and found that it was working perfectly! No more graphics problems, and no more replay window issues.  The old drivers were uninstalled and GPL was working fine on the new card/drivers.  This is what confuses me- after confirming GPL was working fine, I did another reboot.  I started up GPL on the new card that had just been working, and GPL returned to the replay window problems again!  I checked back on the integrated card properties and found that it was still uninstalled.  I eventually ended up reinstalling the old integrated card drivers through windows update, tested GPL with the old card (it worked fine), and proceeded to uninstall/disable the drivers again.  After trying GPL out in the new card again, it still has the same problems.  Somehow, that reboot caused some problems to arise once more...  I have also tried to figure out if i need to disable the integrated card in the BIOS, but I am unable to figure this out.

In the BIOS, under "Integrated Peripherals", I tried disabling "Onboard FDC Controller" but this did nothing.  Also under "Advanced Chipset Features, the "Init display first" has two options: PCI Slot or PCIEX.... Currently I have PCI slot selected.

Anybody have a clue what is going on?

Any help is appreciated
Shane

Edited by shanec80, Sep 20 2010 - 08:29 PM.

#10 shanec80

shanec80

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Sep 20 2010 - 10:35 PM

OK this might narrow it down...
If I run GPL from the regular GPL.exe from the gpl directory, everything seems to be fine.  If I run GPLc67 from the directory, or anything from GEM itself, the problem still exists. Is this a GemP2 issue?

#11 senor_k

senor_k

Nino Barlini

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted Sep 21 2010 - 03:47 PM

In the BIOS, under "Integrated Peripherals", I tried disabling "Onboard FDC Controller" but this did nothing. Also under "Advanced Chipset Features, the "Init display first" has two options: PCI Slot or PCIEX.... Currently I have PCI slot selected.

FDC stands for Floppy Disk Controller, so keep that enabled if you have a floppy drive. As for the other option, you should set it to the type of slot your card is designed for. If it's a PCI Express slot, choose "PCIEX", if it's a normal PCI slot, choose "PCI slot." PCI Express has been the standard for a couple years now. (I'm not familiar with your motherboard or your graphics card, so defer to their manuals if I contradict them.)

#12 shanec80

shanec80

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Sep 21 2010 - 05:13 PM

Well I changed it over to PCI Express in the BIOS but this did not seem to do anything.

As of now, I am pretty sure I have completely uninstalled/disabled all the old card's drivers.

Here's the problem: If I run the regular gpl.exe from the sierra folder the game seems to work just fine.  If I start it up from GEMP2 (any mod), the replay window has problems under D3DV2.  Although OpenglV2 does not have this issue, I would prefer to run GPL under D3DV2 because it runs quite a bit smoother than OpenglV2.

I wonder if this is caused by something in GEMP2, or my graphics drivers are still conflicting?

Any advice?

Shane

#13 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted Sep 22 2010 - 12:45 AM

WHat driver are you using? ATI recent driver should be 10.8.
And are you using 60FPS patch when using GEM?

Edited by Bernd Nowak, Sep 22 2010 - 12:45 AM.

#14 shanec80

shanec80

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Sep 22 2010 - 12:52 PM

View PostBernd Nowak, on Sep 22 2010 - 12:45 AM, said:

WHat driver are you using? ATI recent driver should be 10.8.
And are you using 60FPS patch when using GEM?
I am pretty sure I am using the latest ATI drivers but I will double check today.  Just for the hell of it I might try to wipe out all drivers (like someone suggested earlier) and then reinstall the ATI drivers... I Don't think this problem has to do with the 60FPS patch because I completely uninstalled GEM and reinstalled the lasest version and tried it with and wthout the patch, and I got the same result.  

I guess the only clue I have is that, under D3D, when I start with Gem, the game has a flickering/buttons missing problem in the replay window. (Before I unintsalled my old display drivers, gpl had tons of problems, but this is the only one now)  This does not happen when I run the single gpl.exe manually from the gpl folder- this is why it seems to be a GEM issue but I have no clue on where to turn next.

Shane

#15 ptmac3

ptmac3

Monza Gorilla

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted Sep 22 2010 - 04:59 PM

I just installed and tried the 10.9 drivers for Ati. No problems with Oglv2 (other than no visible blinking cursor when editing the name of a replay or car setup - it was the same with 10.6). Forget D3Dv2. A black screen when trying to load a track and difficult to get out of. This began with 10.7 drivers. 10.6 were much better but I got the missing/disappearing buttons in the replay screen. I've just resigned myself to using Oglv2. Using 32 bit graphics causes all sorts of problems for me too, so I leave that box in Gem unchecked. Hope this helps.

Edited by ptmac3, Sep 22 2010 - 05:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links