CraigT

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Golf
    Racing

Posted Sep 05 2010 - 07:09 PM

What does your "Rasteriser V2 screen look like?
What are your settings for:
Max MIP Size
LOD Bias
Toss Biggest MIPS
32 Bit Graphics

Mirror Size
Use ZBuffer
ZBuffer with Grouping

#2 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,173 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Sep 06 2010 - 12:00 PM

Posted Image

#3 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,539 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 06 2010 - 12:56 PM

my settings on a gtx260

Attached Files

#4 senor_k

senor_k

Nino Barlini

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted Sep 06 2010 - 04:06 PM

I use OpenGLv2, though. At some tracks (Clermont, Targa) I set "Toss Biggest Mips" to 1 to get a smooth 60fps.

Attached Files

Edited by senor_k, Sep 06 2010 - 04:09 PM.

#5 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Sep 07 2010 - 01:54 AM

Best option values depend on hardware and possibly even the track. One surprising aspect of v2 rasterisers is the inefficiency of rendering text. Disabling all GPL text output might improve fps (DDM, fps meter etc..). I just did a quick back of grid, 19 AI cars start test with high graphics settings and got 45 fps with Pribluda + GPL fps meter, and 50 fps with Pribluda and no GPL fps meter (I used Pribluda to display the fps in the second case).

#6 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Assetto Corsa, RBR, Race 07, watching real races

Posted Sep 07 2010 - 07:09 AM

As Brr says, depend on hardware, and I can confirm that there are some problems with the text, at least in OpenGL (don't know why).

Anyway, despite some minor issues, I have better fps (and good graphics) than with Direct 3D with my nvidia 9600 gt card (no 60 fps patch for me - because my pc is quite old now, I have a CRT screen, and race only against the AI - but usually there are 36 fps at most of the tracks for most of the time with a full grid).

Here are my options for reference, but for more infos I suggest to read Nigel's readme file, included with the rasterizers.

- max mip size = 0
- Lod bias = 0
- Toss Biggest Mips = 0
- 32 Bit = 1 (enabled)
- Mirror size = 256
- DrawMethod = 1 (use ZBuffer, seems better for my single-core cpu than value 2)
- ZBufferType = 1 (ZBuffer with grouping, seems to give higher fps for me)

More options: Trilinear Filtering enabled, AF set at 16x, no V-sync.
β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

Motorsport is dangerous, but life is even more

#7 fnugen

fnugen

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Oct 26 2010 - 12:05 PM

I'm new here and just reinstalling my GPL. I want to set a custom resolution but I can't find where to get these adjustment screens you guys are posting. I use the D3Dv2 exe and I only get the option to change the present rasteriser.

#8 fnugen

fnugen

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Oct 26 2010 - 01:00 PM

Sorry, found it after installing GEM.

#9 Mistwaver

Mistwaver

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted Jul 25 2011 - 10:06 AM

It's such a shame there's performance issues when rendering text in OpenGL, because I play with all my vitals in a numbered format across the bottom of the screen (Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Fuel Pressure, etc.) since I play with my HDTV at 1360x768 (max native resolution) and it's hard to read the guages -- plus having bad eye sight with no glasses doesn't help either.

It's pretty much either play without the digital readout for the cars vitals, or play without anti-aliasing. Since I need my text since I can't read the guages at my resolution and with my eye sight (even with high resolution cockpit skins) I have to sacrifice the anti-aliasing aspect. I'd give nearly anything for anti-aliasing to work properly with text in either OpenGL or Direct3D. :(

#10 Ronan

Ronan

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted Jul 26 2011 - 07:15 PM

I wanted to post on this topic as its important to optimize your graphics to realize the maximum experience in GPL.

So its no secret that getting GPL to work on modern systems is not exactly a one click solution.  :hmm:

I think tons of people are blocked from enjoying GPL and that is an issue.
For the brave few that do push through the GPL configuration learning curve I salute you.

I have setup GPL over the years on several systems, normally without any issues that affect game play.

Currently I have 2 systems based on Nvidia graphics running windows 7 in 32 and 64 bit flavors.

Please find the following screen shots for system 1.

Posted Image

I am able to turn Pribluda on/off via GEM ( because its cheating! :P )
Thanks go to BRR as I recall for the pribluda GEM patch feature

Posted Image

Historically I have preferred the Direct3D over OGL rasterizers for some issue or another that affected performance.
However I have changed my opinion... in my experience with the Nvidia 8800gt and gtx580 cards, OGLv2 outperforms D3Dv2.
In my case the gtx580 works perfectly in game and in menu with only a very very slight corruption of the dynamic text on the replay page.
The 8800gt works almost as well with a slight stutter when viewing the half size replay in the garage.

If there is any visual difference between OGL and D3D I can't see it. One thing I notice is less blurry road markings using OGL but that could be the 16xAF/32xAA filtering I can do under OGLv2.

Posted Image

I normally set the Detail Bias to 96.
There is a big FPS hit if you use 100 but this monster system can take it.

Can anyone tell me why GEM wont let me set a 1920 x 1080 resolution on this page, and therefor I need to set that feature in game?

Posted Image

I decided to enable the 16x anisotropic filter via the nvidia driver instead of using the rasterizer settings.
I don't think it matters does it?

EDIT : Oh yeah I wanted to mention the Treaded Optimization feature for the Nvidia display driver caused a massive performance hit on the 8800gt video card when enabled... so I disabled it :rolleyes: This was not a problem for the gtx580... go figure. Hardware will make a big difference in your success or failure that is a fact.

Posted Image

This is what its all about!
By the way the pribluda font if you are wondering is called "Droid Sans Mono" a pretty nice TT font that looks good with high AA settings.

Posted Image

It is a great thing that GPL over the years has continued to grow into its present example.
We should preserve as much of the development as possible and try to help promote GPL for the new commers.
The people in the GPL community are doing a fantastic job to preserve and promote and this is the inspiration for my post.

Cheers

Greg

Edited by Ronan, Jul 26 2011 - 07:40 PM.

#11 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,818 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 27 2011 - 02:23 AM

View PostRonan, on Jul 26 2011 - 07:15 PM, said:

I have searched for this but can't find it, can you point me to the location of this file please  :wave:
Craig

#12 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Jul 27 2011 - 02:26 AM

View PostBurnsy865, on Jul 27 2011 - 02:23 AM, said:

I have searched for this but can't find it, can you point me to the location of this file please  :wave:

It comes with Pribluda v.1.1.2.x.

#13 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,818 posts

Posted Jul 27 2011 - 04:39 AM

View Postbrr, on Jul 27 2011 - 02:26 AM, said:

View PostBurnsy865, on Jul 27 2011 - 02:23 AM, said:

It comes with Pribluda v.1.1.2.x.

Now I remember reading about it but didn't think it could "unpatch" as well, I didn't even use it because my GPL was already patched  :duh: , the read me says............
"ADVANCED INSTALLATION

Put pribluda.ini and pribluda.dll into your GPL folder and use a gpl.exe which is patched to
load pribluda. Patching can be done by putting the enablepribluda.xml into GEM+ Options folder
and selecting enablepribluda within GEM+. The xml patch is not needed if gpl.exe already
loads Pribluda."

Thank you brr, this will be a nice feature although I am so used to prib now I don't know if I will be able to turn it off  :P
Craig

#14 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Jul 27 2011 - 05:15 AM

View PostBurnsy865, on Jul 27 2011 - 04:39 AM, said:

Now I remember reading about it but didn't think it could "unpatch" as well

I do have an unpatching patch as well, but GEM+ does not support toggling (i.e. unticking would remove pribluda support instead of doing nothing). One would have to have two separate patches, one for switching pribluda on and another for switching it off. I considered it simpler to use an unpatched gpl.exe in which case unticking "enablepribluda" will switch pribluda off.

#15 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,818 posts

Posted Jul 27 2011 - 06:09 AM

View Postbrr, on Jul 27 2011 - 05:15 AM, said:

View PostBurnsy865, on Jul 27 2011 - 04:39 AM, said:

Now I remember reading about it but didn't think it could "unpatch" as well

I do have an unpatching patch as well, but GEM+ does not support toggling (i.e. unticking would remove pribluda support instead of doing nothing). One would have to have two separate patches, one for switching pribluda on and another for switching it off. I considered it simpler to use an unpatched gpl.exe in which case unticking "enablepribluda" will switch pribluda off.

Yes, I have just been playing around with it and that makes sense. Thanks for your help  :hat-tip:
Craig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links