#1 fortine_oo

fortine_oo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted Jul 01 2010 - 01:43 AM

Long Beach 2010 OWR

This is different than just another owr track with increased asphalt grip and little else. Maybe I should have called it owr II.

A short back-story.
I have never been thrilled with the feel of the "illegal" mod to "pta version" experience.
For some tracks that I developed ai, I included track ini stanzas <pta2modX> to accomodate gtp to pta for Mac users. The grip felt more mechanical ("sticky asphalt") than aero. The laptimes also fell short, and it took really off the wall rear weight setups to even achieve those times. Couple that with framerate issues, I never felt the need to try OWR07.
Amtronic is making a current layout Hockenheim track and he expressed interest in having support to accomodate a new open-wheel mod, ISS Mod (International Single Seaters Mod, aka F1).
I was able to try the original owr and I really liked the aero feel. There was actually front downforce effects, and yet the cars were still able to drift. The pavement didn't feel coke-syrup sticky. That got me to thinking about using paint as the track surface. I could increase the grip value and still have some slipper-i-ness. I was really blown away by the results. It's certainly not like a hacked exe, it's not exactly like having front wings (or their adjustability). But for a sim based on a stockcar with virtually no front aero downforce, IMHO, it's immensely better than just high grip asphalt as a substitute.

The lp's and track ini are specific for this mod. The laptimes are just a bit quicker than what was run in IRL  this year and they're faster than gtp, something I've never encountered with the high grip norm. Because of the surface changes, this project is a stand-alone version of the Long Beach track.

Thank you to Amtronic for the track.  Posted Image
For the NR2003 RoadCourse racers that are still around, I hope you'll enjoy it.
fortine_oo

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links