• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:1.Out under dark,steady skies with my telescope
    2.GPL
    3.SPMBT
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Apr 25 2010 - 04:06 PM

Monjuic is another masterpiece track that has frustrated me with stuttering and low frame rate. This attempt at improvement is for my 1.8 Mhz Athlon,GF4 Ti 4200 computer setup. The standard V1.1 version showed me no discernable improvement with the resized 512 mips and Winmip treatment. My computer simply hasn't got the onions to run the standard version of Montjuic and to be frank,it isn't really up to the lite version either because there simply is little real difference between both version when the 512 mips are resized. The "Voodoo" fix isn't intended for someone with a 3dfx card because I highly doubt this track would load in the first place. Maybe someone with a more modern computer and a better video card could take advantage of my attempt but it's tough luck for me. Too bad because this is one of GPL's absolute greatest tracks IMO. Amazingly beautiful tree mips second to no track I've yet seen.

Attached Files

#2 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 25 2010 - 06:57 PM

Thanks Kenny, this is the worst track for me as far as frame rate drops and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Great track though. :thumbup:

#3 Kenny

Kenny

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:1.Out under dark,steady skies with my telescope
    2.GPL
    3.SPMBT
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Apr 25 2010 - 07:36 PM

I'm with you on that one,Craig. Montjuic is numero uno for me as to the worst performance of any GPL track with any of my computers.

#4 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:GPl natuurlijk .... what else !
    And Projectcars perhaps !
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Jul 19 2010 - 04:53 PM

the same here
Aaaaa verry nice track but have also aaaaa lot of stuttering during race whit AI .
Strange , in casacampo you can find a simulair (almost) corner with trees , human , grass , and bla bla bla
with less stuttifroetys .
And the AI is crassing like hel in  Montjuic Parque  , but it is still a nice track .
:hat-tip:

#5 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 20 2010 - 02:25 PM

Um, as far as bad fps rates on Montjuich goes, I did release a quick-fix "lite" patch for this track shortly after it was released several years ago (I think it's probably on this board somewhere).

Didn't look quite as nice but did fix most fps problems on my low-end machine back then.  :wave:

(Although I noticed it's still not high on fps even in the current rFactor version with updated textures on today's much more speedy machines, but at least it's better these days!)

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -40)

Edited by Rudy Dingemans, Jul 20 2010 - 02:26 PM.

#6 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted Jul 20 2010 - 04:57 PM

View PostRudy Dingemans, on Jul 20 2010 - 02:25 PM, said:

Um, as far as bad fps rates on Montjuich goes, I did release a quick-fix "lite" patch for this track shortly after it was released several years ago (I think it's probably on this board somewhere).

Didn't look quite as nice but did fix most fps problems on my low-end machine back then.  :wave:

(Although I noticed it's still not high on fps even in the current rFactor version with updated textures on today's much more speedy machines, but at least it's better these days!)

Regards, Rudy

hallo rudy ,
find your quick-fix but it does not work when I want to open the rar file,
I found this 1  ( MontuicPetit )
Still have stuttifroety ad the first corner ,and some of the ai cars still crasses but if I pass them the race is on and no stutterings anymore .
I can live whit it...  :D

#7 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Jul 23 2010 - 08:28 AM

View PostRudy Dingemans, on Jul 20 2010 - 02:25 PM, said:

Regards, Rudy

I have a feeling that your original ultra low version will not work properly with the CTD fixed version which was brought out following problems after release. It was necessary to recompile the track in order to try to fix the problem of ~80% of starters getting a freeze before the race finished. The CTD fix certainly helps with that, but it necessitated a change in both trk and 3do file. The CTD fix was released with options for high res, standard and low res, much in line with the original release, but did not include an ultra low version with massively reduced draw distances. If anyone would care to produce one and publish it here then I don't think any of the Montjuic team would complain.

For anyone downloading the track recently (after June 2008), I am pretty certain that the main download versions on the website are the updated CTD fixed versions which are not compatible with the original ultra low res file.

Rob

#8 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted Jul 23 2010 - 01:40 PM

Oh, that's entirely possible Rob. Like I said it was just a quick fix made with the draw-distance utility to reduce fps when Montjuich had just come out and I found I couldn't really run it on my machine. I just replied because the initial remarks made it seem like nothing was ever done to improve fps for that track, while I distinctry remembered doing so within a week or so.

But I'm sure by now there would be much more evolved fps-fixes available that work heaps better for Montjuich (at least I would hope so!)

Regards, Rudy

#9 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Jul 24 2010 - 11:26 AM

View PostRudy Dingemans, on Jul 23 2010 - 01:40 PM, said:

Oh, that's entirely possible Rob. Like I said it was just a quick fix made with the draw-distance utility to reduce fps when Montjuich had just come out and I found I couldn't really run it on my machine. I just replied because the initial remarks made it seem like nothing was ever done to improve fps for that track, while I distinctry remembered doing so within a week or so.

But I'm sure by now there would be much more evolved fps-fixes available that work heaps better for Montjuich (at least I would hope so!)

Regards, Rudy

Hi Rudy,

Not necessarily. :) The "Low Version" available from the Montjuic website is lower than the first release version, but did have a longer draw distance than the ultra low version you made for the original release. It does however have less trackside objects than the original which was intended to help recover some FPS for slower PCs.

As reducing the draw distances is an easy adjustment we decided to make our best effort to make the low version including the online CTD fix have an acceptable draw distance to minimise pop up, but also to reduce the number of less necessary objects to maximise FPS. Obviously if this is still too heavy then anyone can feel free to reduce the draw distance in the montjuic.3do by using Strava's tool. If that further reduced draw 3do file were posted here I don't think that anyone from the track team would object. The main reason I posted was that even if someone found your previous ultra-low update I am not certain that it would do them much good or work 100% properly, as it is for a slightly different track 3do and trk due to the online CTD fix we had to bring out, so might have compatibility issues, particularly online.

Rob

#10 nes

nes

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted Jul 26 2010 - 11:37 AM

View Postsvenvangent, on Jul 20 2010 - 04:57 PM, said:

hallo rudy ,
Still have stuttifroety ad the first corner ,and some of the ai cars still crasses but if I pass them the race is on and no stutterings anymore .

I use this, and works good for me and some friends,
It contains some files *.mip limited

Attached Files

#11 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted Jul 26 2010 - 06:09 PM

View Postnes, on Jul 26 2010 - 11:37 AM, said:

View Postsvenvangent, on Jul 20 2010 - 04:57 PM, said:

hallo rudy ,

I use this, and works good for me and some friends,
It contains some files *.mip limited
thanks nes but......whatever  
greets  :hat-tip:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links