• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Assetto Corsa, RBR, Race 07, watching real races
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 22 2010 - 08:30 AM

Thanks Paul and the mod team, downloading atm, hope I can try it asap. :thanks:

View PostSaiph, on Apr 21 2010 - 10:57 AM, said:

Stratos fans may want to go into the drivRX.ini file and change "Manuri" to "Munari".

:bigcry2:     :lol:

Thanks Saiph for highlighting this, Sandro Munari is a living rally legend here in Italy!
β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

Motorsport is dangerous, but life is even more

#32 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 22 2010 - 10:23 AM

Ah yes, this one has been circling the fire for a while.  I remember trying just the car years ago (replaced the Brabham, if memory serves me well).  Thanks for reviving it.

"Because of its very short wheelbase the car is prone to oversteer but this can be used to aid cornering."
About thirty years ago I was young and stupid (I'm no longer young) and often bragged I could drive anything with at least three wheels and an engine;  I was frequently drafted by a local restoration shop as "test driver" for cars we took to Road Atlanta for T&T days.  I will never live down that Saturday afternoon I spent in a fully rally equipped Stratos they had just restored (it had been rolled and was not a pretty site when they first got it).  Well, we got it off the tilt-bed, I got in and promptly spun it in the gravel;  no big deal, everybody gets a little throttle happy in the gravel.  I spun it in the grass, I spun it on the road to the paddock, I spun in the paddock, I spun exiting the garage.  By the time I spun on pit road the mirth of all present was quite evident.  We need not discuss how often I spun on the track;  I came to the conclusion the only use for this vehicle was to return to high school and cut donuts on the football field all night (especially when I was told the car was supposed to handle that way).  At one point, during a stop, I chased the shop owner halfway down the pit area, shouting "let me strap your ^%$&*^% a** into that #$&^$^ piece of s**t and you tell me it's handling properly!"

But there was to be no end to my humiliation that day.  A lady of our acquaintance, a fiftyish music teacher who raced a 3000/6, stopped by to talk (now don't get ahead of me here);  soon she was on the track in this beautiful monstrosity, and I was inwardly smirking, expecting a major spin.  Her first lap the car was fishtailing all over the place ...but she never spun.  Thereafter, every fishtail lined the car perfectly for the corner exit.  I hiked over to where I could view the esses, and was amazed.  She came through there not like the car was on rails but like it was being pulled down the track on a rope.  It bounced, it twitched, it shimmied, it fishtailed, but she never put a wheel offtrack and barely grazed the inner curbs.  I returned to the pits and she came in a few minutes later ...laughing.  Laughing!  and saying she wished she could afford one (well, I wish I could afford one also, but i would buy something else).  I still think the Stratos is a beautiful automobile, but I'm content to just look now.

At least when I spin in GPL there will be no witnesses.

Edited by jgf, Apr 22 2010 - 10:27 AM.

#33 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Apr 22 2010 - 10:52 AM

:hysterical:   Excellent story!   :applause:

My first sports car was a 1959 Austin-Healey 100/6 set up for autocross.  If there was a left turn coming up you would give the steering wheel a twitch to the left and then a crank to the right to catch the drift.  I "cured" it by mounting big chewies on it. 7" across the tread front and 9" across the tread rear.  That teacher already had plenty of experience with that kind of handling and was probably having fun with the extra power.   :)

Oh yeah.  It does the Targa Florio just fine.  I just did a conservative 43:44.  Would you believe that thing does 180mph??!?   :shock:   I was expecting 140-150mph.   :rockon:   The only thing I don't like is the rear suspension.  You can have the left or the right, but not both of them at the same time as they are always flickering in and out of existence.  I missed some cool screenies because of it.

Attached Files

#34 BookieW

BookieW

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted Apr 22 2010 - 11:44 AM

View Postmiklkit, on Apr 21 2010 - 08:20 PM, said:

I found my problem.  It was the DEC.  Once I grocked that it might be that, it took forever to find the thing.  Now to enjoy......

OK, I'm having a similar problem.  I'm running XP.  What did you do and where did you find it?  Much thanks,
BookieW

#35 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,153 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Apr 22 2010 - 01:31 PM

Posted Image

Thanks very much!

#36 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted Apr 22 2010 - 01:50 PM

Hi Bookie!  

I am on win7 now, but we have an XP machine here too.  It turns out the procedure is the same for both OS's.  

Go to your control panel and select "system".  Click on the "advanced" tab.  Then under "performance" click "settings".  Then click on "data execution prevention". You then have two choices.  You can turn on DEP for essential Windows stuff only or you can turn on DEP for everything in your computer except those you select.  If you choose the first option you are good to go, but most of the stuff on your computer is open.  If you choose the second, which it sounds like you have, then you will have to click on "add" and then browse to the .exe that you want to allow.  I have seven GPL .exe's checked. The main GPL.exe plus six GPLC.exe's.  Do all that and you should be good until the next mod comes out.   :lol:

#37 Greg

Greg

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted Apr 22 2010 - 03:30 PM

View PostKen, on Apr 22 2010 - 01:25 AM, said:

View Postmiklkit, on Apr 21 2010 - 08:20 PM, said:

I found my problem.  It was the DEC.  Once I grocked that it might be that, it took forever to find the thing.  Now to enjoy......

What is the DEC???

And I was sure the question would be: you "groked"??!!... lol, You were referring to Robert Heinlein's fine read: Stranger In A Strange Land right?  One of the best sci-fi books ever.

#38 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted Apr 22 2010 - 05:08 PM

Is that where I got it?  I have read some Heinlein.......  I was typing away and this word came drifting by, so I grabbed it.  Hey, here's one for you.  Tanj.  I used to use it a lot.

#39 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,064 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 23 2010 - 02:49 AM

Hi,

here is a Stratos sound update, that has been left out of the mod package unfortunately.
The sound file that comes with the mod is around two years old.
This new one has been made by Wolfgang Buthe (aka ducwolf) in Feb. 2010 and is closer to the real thing.  :hat-tip:

To give you an impression about the Stratos onboard sound listen to the attached mp3.

Cheers
Stefan

@Paul: Could you please update your 1st post with this file?

Edit 1:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unpack the rx5.wav sound file into: E:\Games\SIERRA\gpl\sound
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 2:
For mod installation, especially GEM+ settings it may also be helpful for newcomers to have a look at:
http://en.gplworld.e...tion-guide.html
(you can change the language English/German on top right)

I recommend to create a new GPL player ""firstname lastnameRX"

Attached Files

Edited by Stefan Roess, Jul 23 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#40 ducwolf

ducwolf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Ducati riding,GPL, GPL sounds, GTP, guitar

Posted Apr 23 2010 - 03:14 AM

View PostStefan Roess, on Apr 23 2010 - 02:49 AM, said:

Hi,

here is a Stratos sound update, that has been left out of the mod package unfortunately.
The sound file that comes with the mod is around two years old.
This new one has been made by Wolfgang Buthe (aka ducwolf) in Feb. 2010 and is closer to the real thing.  :hat-tip:

To give you an impression about the Stratos onboard sound listen to the attached mp3.

Cheers
Stefan

@Paul: Could you please update your 1st post and the mod download with this file?

Hehe, I just talked to Paul and wanted to post the actual Stratos sound from February 2010 when I saw Your posting . Thx Stefan, You was again quicker than me ;)

Hope You all enjoy the improved Stratos sound.

Wolfgang.

#41 josepmaria

josepmaria

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted Apr 23 2010 - 07:28 AM

Fantastic car !!!  Thanks for your work friends !!!  :thumbup:
I downloaded now the sound update , but ... excuse my ignorance ...   :confused: Where are we supposing to put that file?

EDIT:   I FOUND IT !!!  I was looking in the cars folder, and now I just saw that it was in "GTL/sound" folder ... thanks anyway  :)

Edited by josepmaria, Apr 23 2010 - 07:32 AM.

#42 ducwolf

ducwolf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Ducati riding,GPL, GPL sounds, GTP, guitar

Posted Apr 23 2010 - 09:04 AM

View Postjosepmaria, on Apr 23 2010 - 07:28 AM, said:

Fantastic car !!!  Thanks for your work friends !!!  :thumbup:
I downloaded now the sound update , but ... excuse my ignorance ...   :confused: Where are we supposing to put that file?

EDIT:   I FOUND IT !!!  I was looking in the cars folder, and now I just saw that it was in "GTL/sound" folder ... thanks anyway  :)

The soundfiles rx... must be located in the folder " sound " in the GPL main folder.
Wolfgang

#43 elio

elio

John Love

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted Apr 23 2010 - 12:10 PM

Thank you so much for this mod !
GPL still alive and... WELL !!!
Posted Image

#44 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 556 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Apr 23 2010 - 01:13 PM

Thanks Paul, I'd forgotten about that one. Fabulous watching 60fps replays from Targa. :)

#45 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted Apr 23 2010 - 02:16 PM

That new sound file is much better.  It is throatier and sounds more, umm, solid.  

This car has its own physics but what is it based on?  It has a unique feel to it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links