#1 JASE

JASE

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 30 2010 - 03:23 AM

A couple of months ago I came across a Nurburgring update (the Klaas add-ons) which when installed completely transformed the look of the Nurburgring circuit for the better. The other updates out there were certainly an improvement, but this one was so much better. All of a sudden there were trees everywhere, some of them almost growing over the track, the pits looked 100% correct, and best of all, the tarmac had a very realistic texture changing from light to dark and featuring patches here and there that looked like the asphalt was breaking up in places. Great I thought, now I'll copy the mips etc. across to my wetnurb folder and make the wet nurburgring with falling rain look just as good. Errr, not quite................  :confused:

I've tryed every damn thing to make the Klaas add-ons work in the wetnurb track folder but nothing is going right! Unlike some other updates, this one seems to have alot of important information locked up in the nurburg dat and 3do files, which, of course, cannot take the place of the wetnurb dat and 3do files or you lose the wet nurburgring circuit experience.

To get to the point, I want my wet nurburgring to have the Klaas look about it! Does anyone have the track textures, and tree and hedge mips, etc. saved in a format that I can just copy into the wetnurb folder and get everything to work?  :please:

#2 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jan 30 2010 - 03:28 AM

View PostJASE, on Jan 30 2010 - 03:23 AM, said:

A couple of months ago I came across a Nurburgring update (the Klaas add-ons) which when installed completely transformed the look of the Nurburgring circuit for the better. The other updates out there were certainly an improvement, but this one was so much better. All of a sudden there were trees everywhere, some of them almost growing over the track, the pits looked 100% correct, and best of all, the tarmac had a very realistic texture changing from light to dark and featuring patches here and there that looked like the asphalt was breaking up in places. Great I thought, now I'll copy the mips etc. across to my wetnurb folder and make the wet nurburgring with falling rain look just as good. Errr, not quite................  :confused:

I've tryed every damn thing to make the Klaas add-ons work in the wetnurb track folder but nothing is going right! Unlike some other updates, this one seems to have alot of important information locked up in the nurburg dat and 3do files, which, of course, cannot take the place of the wetnurb dat and 3do files or you lose the wet nurburgring circuit experience.

To get to the point, I want my wet nurburgring to have the Klaas look about it! Does anyone have the track textures, and tree and hedge mips, etc. saved in a format that I can just copy into the wetnurb folder and get everything to work?  :please:

No, and I doubt they would exist anywhere unfortunately.

#3 JASE

JASE

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted Jan 30 2010 - 04:22 AM

So am I right then, it's all locked up in the dat file?  :(

#4 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,829 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Jan 30 2010 - 04:38 AM

HI :)

There is a program called Datman by Fred Simms which opens the DAT file and can extract all its files.
You can find it here in the forum if you do a SEARCH.

About your problem to make  the wet circuit look like the dry, with the new textures, you can but you have to copy all the files of the dry except the [track].TRK, which is the file that gives the physics.
To do so you need to rename NURBURG.3DO into WETNURB.3DO or whatever the directory is named.
Obviously this way you'll look at the exact same graphics; I never DL the wet nurb but if it has rain effect or something, it will get lost since the data for the object placements lies in the track.3DO.
If is then a question of wet asphalt, you can modify the few asphalt textures to look wet, it can be a good new hobby ;)

Ciao! :wave:

#5 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Jan 30 2010 - 05:40 AM

It would be a large task to convert wet nurb. In the wet nurb 3do there is modified surface mapping to create the slippery surface. Some of the track is actually mapped as dirt. So kellaaa's 3do would need modified to include this information. I would think that would be a hex editing excercise?

Basically kellaa's 3do has all the information regarding all the new trees, bushes etc while the wetnurb 3do has all the information regarding the sippery surface, and so you would need a new one with both sets of info included. Not impossible, but no way just a cut and paste job.

Edited by Ken, Jan 30 2010 - 08:02 AM.

#6 FloP

FloP

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted Jan 30 2010 - 02:46 PM

The surface information is stored in the TRK and not the 3DO though, isn't it?

#7 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Jan 30 2010 - 04:37 PM

View PostFloP, on Jan 30 2010 - 02:46 PM, said:

You could be right Flop, maybe an expert will confirm? Certainly surface altitudes and cambers etc are in the trk file, but I'm not sure about surface type.

#8 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,955 posts
  • Interests:Errrrrr, GPL? :-)
    Music , computing, hi-fi, motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 30 2010 - 05:25 PM

Yup

#9 sunalp2

sunalp2

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Slot Cars

Posted Jan 30 2010 - 05:35 PM

I've been tantalised by the mention of the upgrade top the dry track. Are they available anywhere?

I've been everywhere I know looking but with no success.

#10 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,829 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Jan 30 2010 - 06:21 PM

View PostKen, on Jan 30 2010 - 04:37 PM, said:

You could be right Flop, maybe an expert will confirm? Certainly surface altitudes and cambers etc are in the trk file, but I'm not sure about surface type.
I assure You Ken, you drive on the TRK, 3DO is there only to be watched :thumbup:

#11 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Jan 30 2010 - 06:30 PM

View PostGinetto, on Jan 30 2010 - 06:21 PM, said:

View PostKen, on Jan 30 2010 - 04:37 PM, said:

I assure You Ken, you drive on the TRK, 3DO is there only to be watched :thumbup:

So surface type, dirt, asphalt, grass etc is in the trk. So maybe it would work if the kellaaa 3do was copied and renamed, you would still have the wet patches but the road wouldn't look wet, they were pretty much invisible as it was. Only other thing is I think somone actually did a rain drop 3do addon for the wet track, so that would be lost too.

#12 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts

Posted Jan 30 2010 - 08:17 PM

View Postsunalp2, on Jan 30 2010 - 05:35 PM, said:

I've been tantalised by the mention of the upgrade top the dry track. Are they available anywhere?

I've been everywhere I know looking but with no success.

http://srmz.net/inde...indpost&p=36311

#13 JASE

JASE

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted Jan 31 2010 - 01:02 AM

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. Ken you're spot on. I just re-named the 3do and what you get is a wet Nurburgring without the wet appearance. Mind you, for those not familiar with 'wetnurb' and 'wetspa' it doesn't look that wet anyway until you add the falling rain 3do files. And, as you predicted, the falling rain disappears with the addition of the Kelllaaa 3do. It's just like driving on a dry version of the nurburgring only the tyres don't squeal, scarcely change in pressure or temperature, and, of course, you'll go flying off the track if you try to take corners at dry speeds!  :D

It's a shame because I was trying to set up a realistic '66 season with wet races at Spa and the Nurburgring. Wet Spa works great, but the nature of the Kelllaaa add-ons means that the wet Nurburgring probably isn't gonna happen. And I won't try and do without those Kelllaaa graphics, they're incredible! I will try and locate that program that unpacks 3do files and see if I can sus it out, but I'm now starting to enter GPL modifying territory that's out of my league. It'll be interesting to see if I can get it to work and I'll certainly let everyone know if I can.

Incidentally for those who haven't tried the wetnurb and wetspa circuits with the falling rain add-on, I highly recommend them.  :thumbup:
Wetspa is downright scary! Maybe the tarmac texture could have been altered to look shiny and wet, etc, but overall it's great fun, and looks plenty wet enough with the falling rain graphics. I think they've been around long enough to be considered 'old news' but they're still great fun.

#14 JASE

JASE

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted Feb 01 2010 - 01:19 AM

Getting closer!  :)

I deleted everything in the wetnurb folder and replaced it with everything from the dry nurburg folder with the Kelllaaa add-ons. I then copied in everything required to turnit into the wet nurburgring with falling rain. I then used datman to open up the Kelllaaa nurburg dat file and copied everything into the wetnurb folder that wasn't already there.

The result is a wet nurburgring circuit with most of the add-ons from Kelllaaa. It still seems to lack the patches on the road surface here and there that I like so much. There are also less trees in some places, but the only place where it's really noticeable is in the run from Pflanzgarten to the big straight. There are trees everywhere there in my 'dry' nurburgring circuit that I may have to do without for the wet version.

I guess that everything I'm missing is locked up in the 3do file for the dry nurburgring. Are there any programs that can 'unlock' the 3do like datman does for the dat file? Also, if anyone knows of one, it would be great to find a really murky, dark grey sky to use with the track now.

I'm sure I read somewhere that a fog add-on is out for GPL too, so I'm going to go find that now and really go for the authentic look!  :D

Edited by JASE, Feb 01 2010 - 01:37 AM.

#15 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Feb 01 2010 - 01:38 AM

View PostJASE, on Feb 01 2010 - 01:19 AM, said:

Getting closer!  :)

I deleted everything in the wetnurb folder and replaced it with everything from the dry nurburg folder with the Kelllaaa add-ons. I then copied in everything required to turnit into the wet nurburgring with falling rain. I then used datman to open up the Kelllaaa nurburg dat file and copied everything into the wetnurb folder that wasn't already there.

The result is a wet nurburgring circuit with most of the add-ons from Kelllaaa. It still seems to lack the patches on the road surface here and there that I like so much. There are also less trees in some places, but the only place where it's really noticeable is in the run from Pflanzgarten to the big straight. There are trees everywhere there in my 'dry' nurburgring circuit that I may have to do without for the wet version.

I guess that everything I'm missing is locked up in the 3do file for the dry nurburgring. Are there any programs that can 'unlock' the 3do like datman does for the dat file? Also, if anyone knows of one, it would be great to find a really murky, dark grey sky to use with the track now.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a fog add-on for GPL too, so I'm going to go find that now and really go for the authentic look!  :D

Jase, there are various programmes for working with 3dos, such as 3doed and GPLTrackEd, but you need to know what you are doing. It is a complicated tree and root system and not just a case of copying a few files. I think Kellaaa may have use "TheRacingLine" utility do do some of his work. I think he even issued the necessary files with his object placements at RSC at one point. You could try PMing him and see if he's willing to do it again. With TRL as well as re-grooving you can add 3do objects, but you have to give it the co-ordinates of where to put everything. If you knew what was missing from your rebuild and you also knew where to put them you could use this method.

#16 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts

Posted Feb 01 2010 - 01:44 AM

I'm sure I read somewhere that a fog add-on is out for GPL too, so I'm going to go find that now and really go for the authentic look!  :D
These were copied from someone's post either here or at RSC. Just add one of these to the track.ini and you will have fog.

Heavy fog...........

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 2
fog_r = 150
fog_g = 175
fog_b = 200

EARLY MORNING BLUE HUE/LIGHT

Light

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 220
fog_g = 223
fog_b = 232

Darker

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 198
fog_g = 202
fog_b = 214

Intense [Example only - not recommended]

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 220
fog_g = 223
fog_b = 232

EARLY EVENING PINK HUE/LIGHT

Light

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 232
fog_g = 220
fog_b = 227

Darker

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 226
fog_g = 212
fog_b = 221

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 213
fog_g = 193
fog_b = 205

LATE EVENING ORANGE HUE/LIGHT

Light

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 235
fog_g = 219
fog_b = 207

Darker

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 229
fog_g = 209
fog_b = 193

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 214
fog_g = 183
fog_b = 160

OVERCAST STORMY? HUE/LIGHT

Light

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 185
fog_g = 182
fog_b = 175

Darker

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 161
fog_g = 158
fog_b = 151

Good luck with it and thanks to whoever posted these fog lines in the past. I knew that copying them would come in handy one day. I use the following at Wetspa

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 5.00
fog_r = 198
fog_g = 202
fog_b = 214

#17 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Feb 01 2010 - 01:51 AM

View PostBurnsy865, on Feb 01 2010 - 01:44 AM, said:

These were copied from someone's post either here or at RSC. Just add one of these to the track.ini and you will have fog.

Heavy fog...........

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 2
fog_r = 150
fog_g = 175
fog_b = 200

EARLY MORNING BLUE HUE/LIGHT

Light

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 220
fog_g = 223
fog_b = 232

Darker

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 198
fog_g = 202
fog_b = 214

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 220
fog_g = 223
fog_b = 232

EARLY EVENING PINK HUE/LIGHT

Light

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 232
fog_g = 220
fog_b = 227

Darker

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 226
fog_g = 212
fog_b = 221

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 213
fog_g = 193
fog_b = 205

LATE EVENING ORANGE HUE/LIGHT

Light

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 235
fog_g = 219
fog_b = 207

Darker

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 229
fog_g = 209
fog_b = 193

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 214
fog_g = 183
fog_b = 160

OVERCAST STORMY? HUE/LIGHT

Light

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 185
fog_g = 182
fog_b = 175

Darker

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 0.01
fog_r = 161
fog_g = 158
fog_b = 151

Good luck with it and thanks to whoever posted these fog lines in the past. I knew that copying them would come in handy one day. I use the following at Wetspa

[ fog ]
type = 1
density = 5.00
fog_r = 198
fog_g = 202
fog_b = 214

Just to mention you must be using Nigel's V2 rasterisers for this to work. I think those fog settings are from Jim Pearson.

#18 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts

Posted Feb 01 2010 - 02:48 AM

View PostKen, on Feb 01 2010 - 01:51 AM, said:

[Just to mention you must be using Nigel's V2 rasterisers for this to work. I think those fog settings are from Jim Pearson.
Thanks Ken, was unaware of the V2 rasters, I use them so it works for me.

#19 JASE

JASE

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted Feb 01 2010 - 11:14 PM

I found reference to adding those lines to the track ini and thought to myself 'that's way too easy, too good to be true'. It was. I didn't have the latest  rasterizers! :oops:

Will download them now and see how it goes. Unfortunately with all of my frantic cutting and pasting I must have deleted something pretty vital from the gpl directory because the 66 mod is just crashing to the desktop everytime I try to load it. Looks like it's another complete GPL re-install for me! :angrypc:

Ah well these things happen. Thanks for the advice regarding the 3dos Ken. I'll leave well enough alone now. If I can get the fog to work with what I've got, and get the skies a bit darker, I'll be very happy.

#20 JASE

JASE

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted Feb 04 2010 - 07:29 PM

SUCCESS!!!

Attached Files

Edited by JASE, Feb 04 2010 - 07:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic