#1 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 23 2010 - 08:04 PM

Having seen the numerous GPLSO sound files gathered here (I may upload a few more if anyone's interested), along with the setup guides, and having seen no sign of the program itself (RSC is gone, Maxim's site is gone, websearch turns up nothing), though people are still looking for it;  I'll attach it here.  If Maxim, or anyone else objects, I'll remove it.

Attached Files

• Attached File  GPLSO.7z   3.9MB   149 downloads

#2 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 24 2010 - 04:08 AM

View Postjgf, on Jan 23 2010 - 08:04 PM, said:

Having seen the numerous GPLSO sound files gathered here (I may upload a few more if anyone's interested), along with the setup guides, and having seen no sign of the program itself (RSC is gone, Maxim's site is gone, websearch turns up nothing), though people are still looking for it;  I'll attach it here.  If Maxim, or anyone else objects, I'll remove it.

Been lurking for ages, but I had to post a reply to this: I absolutely LOVE GPLSO, and think it is one of the game's truly great add-ons. If you have any as-yet unposted sound files...yes, please! I'd be extremely interested.

Thanks,

Dilip

#3 il_lupo_mannaro

il_lupo_mannaro

Fabio Locarno

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted Jan 24 2010 - 04:35 AM

I wish to give GPLSO a try but it seems to me a little complicated :confused:
i.e.
Does it work with GEM / various Mods / VROC / IGOR ?!?

Will be great when someone is posting a "GPLSO for dummies" guide...
Thx in advance folks! :hat-tip:

#4 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jan 24 2010 - 08:01 AM

View Postil_lupo_mannaro, on Jan 24 2010 - 04:35 AM, said:

i.e.

"Dummies" guide:

http://srmz.net/inde...indpost&p=31876

The links in the guide are now broken. I will update it soon, and make it work in Firefox!!

Sounds are now available here at the Mirror Zone. Go here and they are still on the first two pages:

http://srmz.net/inde...filter=all&st=0

#5 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,946 posts
  • Interests:Errrrrr, GPL? :-)
    Music , computing, hi-fi, motor racing

Posted Jan 24 2010 - 08:57 AM

Under tools over HERE  ;)

#6 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jan 24 2010 - 10:15 AM

When GPLSO first came out it only had sounds for a few cars.  I decided to wait until there was a full sound set made to install.  Is the sound set complete now?

Edited by miklkit, Jan 24 2010 - 10:16 AM.

#7 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted Jan 24 2010 - 12:53 PM

View Postdangermouse, on Jan 24 2010 - 08:57 AM, said:

Under tools over HERE  ;)

Sorry.  I did a search, and read numerous threads without finding it.  I'll remove this one to save space, if you wish.

#8 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted Jan 24 2010 - 01:00 PM

View Postmiklkit, on Jan 24 2010 - 10:15 AM, said:

When GPLSO first came out it only had sounds for a few cars.  I decided to wait until there was a full sound set made to install.  Is the sound set complete now?

If you mean a complete set for all cars for a season, I don't think so.  But you only use the specific file for the car you are driving;  the AI still use the default sound.  And you can use any file for any car - GPLSO will play whatever sound file you load regardless of which car you drive.

#9 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted Jan 24 2010 - 02:09 PM

i.e.

I know it works with GEM, should work online also, works with any mods.  It doesn't alter any GPL files or routines, it runs in the background monitoring the GPL sound commands and replacing them with its own.  Setup can be confusing, that's why the plethora of tutorials.  Since these also cover creating a soundset, it can be daunting if all you want is to use an existing set.  One problem which is often overlooked is to make sure the sdf file points to the location of the individual sound files (when you download someone's file, this is typically set to the path on their system);  you can do this, one file at a time, in the editor - or - open the sdf file in notepad and "find and replace" the existing path with yours.  

For each sound set you will have, in addition to the wav files, and sdf file and an ini file.  The sdf is a plain text file which tells GPLSO which engine wav files to use, their location, and how to blend them.  The ini file tells GPLSO the location of the sdf file and designates any optional files to use (gearshift, backfire, wind, etc.), their location and their volume.  The ini and sdf files can be anywhere since, during setup, you tell GPLSO where to find them;  for simplicity I keep them in the same folder with the corresponding wave files.  Some soundsets have a silent wav to replace the default engine wav, others work with the default wav.

Once all the paths are correct, start the editor;  give it the location of your gpl.exe (or mod exe) and the ini of the soundset you want to use; you can also specify the sdf, to make sure all the files show in the central window.  Save, and close the editor.  Start GPLSO, you should get a small window onscreen and hear some music if all is well, there will then be a message that GPLSO is waiting for GPL to start.  Start GEM and GPL (make sure you select the same mod GPLSO is expecting) and you should have the new sounds.  You will have to repeat the selection procedure any time you want to use a different soundset or gpl mod;  but if you are returning to the same ones, just run GPLSO and wait for it to say it's waiting for GPL to start.

It isn't exactly user friendly, but the results are worth the effort.

Edited by jgf, Jan 24 2010 - 02:11 PM.

#10 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Jan 24 2010 - 02:16 PM

View Postjgf, on Jan 24 2010 - 02:09 PM, said:

i.e.

I know it works with GEM, should work online also, works with any mods.  It doesn't alter any GPL files or routines, it runs in the background monitoring the GPL sound commands and replacing them with its own.  Setup can be confusing, that's why the plethora of tutorials.  Since these also cover creating a soundset, it can be daunting if all you want is to use an existing set.  One problem which is often overlooked is to make sure the sdf file points to the location of the individual sound files (when you download someone's file, this is typically set to the path on their system);  you can do this, one file at a time, in the editor - or - open the sdf file in notepad and "find and replace" the existing path with yours.  

For each sound set you will have, in addition to the wav files, and sdf file and an ini file.  The sdf is a plain text file which tells GPLSO which engine wav files to use, their location, and how to blend them.  The ini file tells GPLSO the location of the sdf file and designates any optional files to use (gearshift, backfire, wind, etc.), their location and their volume.  The ini and sdf files can be anywhere since, during setup, you tell GPLSO where to find them;  for simplicity I keep them in the same folder with the corresponding wave files.  Some soundsets have a silent wav to replace the default engine wav, others work with the default wav.

Once all the paths are correct, start the editor;  give it the location of your gpl.exe (or mod exe) and the ini of the soundset you want to use; you can also specify the sdf, to make sure all the files show in the central window.  Save, and close the editor.  Start GPLSO, you should get a small window onscreen and hear some music if all is well, there will then be a message that GPLSO is waiting for GPL to start.  Start GEM and GPL (make sure you select the same mod GPLSO is expecting) and you should have the new sounds.  You will have to repeat the selection procedure any time you want to use a different soundset or gpl mod;  but if you are returning to the same ones, just run GPLSO and wait for it to say it's waiting for GPL to start.

It isn't exactly user friendly, but the results are worth the effort.

If you look at my "dummies" guide linked above, it explains all this with pictures. It can be daunting as jgf says, but just follow the instructions step by step and it should work.

#11 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted Jan 24 2010 - 02:48 PM

View Postjgf, on Jan 24 2010 - 01:00 PM, said:

If you mean a complete set for all cars for a season, I don't think so.  But you only use the specific file for the car you are driving;  the AI still use the default sound.  And you can use any file for any car - GPLSO will play whatever sound file you load regardless of which car you drive.

I've made up GPLSO ini files for all the cars, based on the basic wav. files already available on this site. Some are better than others. The only wav. file I've created from scratch myself is an idle noise for the BRM H16. If anyone else has any other "new" sounds, that would be great!

#12 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Jan 24 2010 - 04:48 PM

View Postdelgs, on Jan 24 2010 - 02:48 PM, said:

I've made up GPLSO ini files for all the cars, based on the basic wav. files already available on this site. Some are better than others. The only wav. file I've created from scratch myself is an idle noise for the BRM H16. If anyone else has any other "new" sounds, that would be great!

Delgs, would you like to post your files here at the mirror zone??

#13 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted Jan 24 2010 - 06:07 PM

View PostKen, on Jan 24 2010 - 04:48 PM, said:

Delgs, would you like to post your files here at the mirror zone??

If people feel this might be helpful. As I say, the quality's a bit variable, and they've all been made up, mostly, from other people's sounds. I am well aware that I am standing on the shoulders of giants, particularly Messrs Ducwolf and Rassegat! I would'nt want to upset anyone, or give anyone the impression that I am passing anyone else's work off as my own. Just for the sake of logic and clarity, if I post my ini. files here, I'll have to bundle up the accompanying sounds, and rename them so that people can locate them for the ini. files.

Edited by delgs, Jan 24 2010 - 06:12 PM.

#14 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted Jan 24 2010 - 06:23 PM

... If anyone else has any other "new" sounds, that would be great!

I have some alternates for most of the '67 cars, a few for '65 and '69, another for thundercars, and sets for '67 F2 and F3.  All are at least a couple of years old and will need some further tweaking before I upload them (had insurmountable sound problems with GPL on my old system and nearly abandoned GPL for over a year;  got a new system last year and getting back into GPL was like finding a long lost friend).

#15 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted Jan 24 2010 - 06:34 PM

View Postjgf, on Jan 24 2010 - 06:23 PM, said:

... If anyone else has any other "new" sounds, that would be great!

I have some alternates for most of the '67 cars, a few for '65 and '69, another for thundercars, and sets for '67 F2 and F3.  All are at least a couple of years old and will need some further tweaking before I upload them (had insurmountable sound problems with GPL on my old system and nearly abandoned GPL for over a year;  got a new system last year and getting back into GPL was like finding a long lost friend).

This might work out quite well: I've done ini. files for some of the 64 Tasman cars, and full sets for 65, 66, and 67. Also one or two for the 69 cars. The 67 ones are as good as I can get them, the others will need a little tweaking before I'm ready to post. As this will be my first time posting anything here, I'd like to be absolutely sure, however, that I won't be treading on anyone's toes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links