John Bradley

that cover-drawing guy

• The BAPOM Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 12 2009 - 07:07 PM

Hey there!

It's your old friend Johnny B., back from the grave with a fresh batch of self-promoting bloviation! Sort of like the Internet version of that cranky, ill-tempered loudmouth Uncle that you only see once a year at the big family get-together... and each time you do, you remember why.

For various reasons ("tradition", "theme conversion", "outright slothfulness") it's been nearly a year since the last BAPOM Release thread. I'd point you over there so you could read it, but, well, you know...

----------------------------
Release Notes:

grnznite and brnite49: Two nite tracks using the standard cover template. Progsets come with the tracks, 'nuff said.

Posted Image Posted Image

Pbear (poster 6x 12x): Something different here - I typically don't do 'intricate', but I saw some art along these lines on iStockphoto.com and needed to try my hand at it. Makes extensive use of Illustrator's "repeated transform/rotate" live effects; most of the items on the poster are a single ray/car/diamond/etc that's been dup'ed and spun around a center point. The cool bit is that all that stuff stays 'live' - make a change to the one 'real' ray, and all 60 (or whatever) of its cloned buddies update accordingly.

Not really my thing, and not very relevant to the 'period'-ish art that is my major focus, but interesting and potentially useful nonetheless.

Spanishi (poster 6x 12x): It's like totally Jackie Stewart... in space!

"Why?" Ehh... hard to say. Frankly, I don't even remember. I'm going to guess that I wanted to bang something out semi-quickly, and didn't feel look doing a full painting. This way I got to paint the car (which is the fun part), but didn't have to draw a bunch of trees (which isn't), or god-forbid, a bunch of spectators.

I think I was probably thinking of my Zelt67 poster, which uses a similar "realistically painted cars in a stylized world" motif.

Anyway, this one was mostly put together in Photoshop. The basic scene was roughed out in Illustrator; drawing the swoopy whatsits and creating a number of masks for the parts of the car. All of those paths were then brought into PS for coloring. The car was drawn by flat-filling the various masks (on many different layers) in mid-tone colors, and then adding shading by using a soft transparent airbrush, painting black and white in 'hard light' mode (clipped to the area in question).

Snowglen (poster 6x 12x): A straight-up painting, done in Painter, naturally. I think the snow-covered trees came out nicely. Also like the cloth folds and the distant mountains. Really had to fight myself to keep it cold and blue - my personal tastes run towards 'warm' colors, but you gotta do what the scene requires.

Gothnite (poster 6x 12x): A keen bit of Photoshop airbrush action, I think. Same trick as on spanishi, create a lot of vector clipping masks, flat-fill them, and shade them with the airbrush. The complicated bit was the ribcage. All the bones are curving in three dimensions, and they're all casting shadows on each other. A lot of masking and doing things in 'the right order' was necessary. Which means there was also a lot of doing things 'in the wrong order' and subsequent discovery of same...

...continued...
BAPOM: "We've got GPL covered!" - GPL Progsets, maps, original posters, and more.
Barking Dog Studios: "We put the 'BAP' in BAPOM!"

#2 John Bradley

John Bradley

that cover-drawing guy

• The BAPOM Man
  • 130 posts

Posted Jun 12 2009 - 07:08 PM

...continued...

Jacare (poster 6x 12x): Woohoo, some art-deco. And if you've been reading these things in the past, you know how I loves me the art deco...

This one was relatively easy to do, which just proves that harder isn't necessarily better, just more time-consuming. Because I really like this one.

Anyway, all I did was find appropriate flat side-photos of cars of different eras, and draw vector silhouettes of same. Took the vectors and did a rotate/skew to turn them into an isometric pseudo-3d. Took the original vectors and stretched them vertically and rotated them to form the (hard-edged) basis for the cast shadows. Filled everything with gradients, put a big live-effect gaussian blur on the shadows. and that's pretty much that.

All the text is hand-drawn, because I don't have a font that looks quite like that. Wish I did; it would have saved me a good chunk of time. Minor neat touch: the cars correctly cast shadows on the further-back cars.

Rberg07 (poster 6x 12x): Sort of an architectural rendering. The whole thing was drawn in Illustrator. Pleasant enough - it's an art style, and it amuses me. So there.

Monacane (poster 6x 12x): Mmmm... warm, toasty colors. Downright tropical.

Another Painter cover. Nice palm tree - I like how it's in front of the text. Everytime I draw one of these cars from the rear (a process that makes 'tedious' seem like 'happy fun-time' by comparision), I tell myself "never again!"... until the next time.

Urbanya (poster 6x 12x): Yet another digital oil painting. Too many trees. Hate drawing trees. Love drawing clouds though, so it balances out, I s'pose. Happy that I was able to control the obsessive-compulsive part of my brain (i.e. "pretty much all of it") and keep the stuff in the distant background deliberately rough and non-detailed. It adds a little more depth to the painting than I usually manage. The BRM came out pretty nice. I fact, I think the whole darned thing turned out pretty nice.

--------------------------

Until next time... (2010?)

--jhb

P.S. Obligatory "fishing for clients" note: If you or anyone you know needs some graphic design/illustration/photoshop/fauxtography work done, and is, you know, willing to pay for it, you know where to find me. Drop me a line.

Edited by John Bradley, Jun 12 2009 - 07:13 PM.

BAPOM: "We've got GPL covered!" - GPL Progsets, maps, original posters, and more.

#3 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 492 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted Jun 12 2009 - 10:36 PM

Fantastic works again!  :thumbup:

Mentioning zelt67 - that cover is printed and framed, and on my wall right above the monitor :)

#4 Frenchy

Frenchy

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 517 posts

Posted Jun 13 2009 - 05:04 AM

Absolutely brilliant work, John. Thank you for your most recent contribution and again for all the work you've done over the years. It's a real testament to your skill and talent that you keep coming up with such beautiful work that is both appropriate and individual for each track.

I have dabbled briefly with some of the programs you mention without ever becoming proficient and I enjoy reading your descriptions of how you put each one together. It really helps my appreciation of the finished product.

I'm also amazed that you have to appeal for work and that clients are not knocking your door down. All the best with that (although I hope you always have time for GPL).

Cheers
David

#5 ACHIM KRAFT

ACHIM KRAFT

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends (1967-Original)
    MODS:TC/1969-P3/1965-P2/TC-P2/1967-Night/1965-Night

Posted Jun 13 2009 - 07:04 AM

Hi !

Brilliant as ever. BAPOM is alive.  :D

Many thanks John. DL all of this great stuff.

Greetings

Achim

GPL FOREVER
LOTUS FOREVER

Memberships:
http://www.gplracer.eu/
http://www.ju-racing.de/GPL/ - retired -
http://www.racesimlegends.eu/ - retired -

#6 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jun 13 2009 - 09:14 AM

Dam you're good!

#7 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,180 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jun 13 2009 - 11:37 AM

Thanks John.

That's realy beautiful work!

#8 Kanzo

Kanzo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted Jun 13 2009 - 01:53 PM

Oh Johnny, Johnny. How I´ve missed these release threads!  :realbighug:

Gothica is maybe my All Time Favorite. It´s unforgattable! It´s haunting! It´s beautiful!  :clap2:

Jagarepagua is another instant classic.  :artist:

Hmm... I must try how they look in 60 fps!  :lol:

#9 John Bradley

John Bradley

that cover-drawing guy

• The BAPOM Man
  • 130 posts

Posted Jun 13 2009 - 02:01 PM

Well, hot-damn! I post this thread, complete with shiny new art-like thingies, and less than 24hrs later I get a PM, right here on SRMZ:

My name is <redacted>.i saw your profile today (srmz.net)and became intrested in you,i will also like to know more about you,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so that i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address (<redacted>@yahoo.co.uk) .i believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.Remeber the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life) please send me mail to my e mail address.
Please rpely me with my email address here

So it looks like the B-man is gonna get himself a little Hot British Nookie!

Now, I know what you're thinking, "A chick, on SRMZ? How is that even possible? I thought the place was a total sausage-fest!"

I'll admit, I was skeptical at first. But then I realized that if I were to doubt the sincerity of the message, well, I might just as well accuse someone of Lying On The Internet. Really! Lying. On the Internet. Impossible, you say! And yet I've heard vague rumors that such things have actually occurred.

But frankly, it would be too great a shock to my World View to accept that possibility, so I just have to assume that this message is entirely on the up-and-up.

Now granted, I was mainly hoping to score a paying gig or two. The fact that this sweet young lass (for who else would say such a thing) is in the UK and that I'm decidedly not would seem to raise certain logistical questions, but still... POONTANG! And BOOBIES!, one could safely assume.

You can just imagine my excitement!

--jhb

"BAPOM: Will do graphic design for blowjobs... but really, cash-money is preferable."

Edited by John Bradley, Jun 13 2009 - 02:38 PM.

#10 John Bradley

John Bradley

that cover-drawing guy

• The BAPOM Man
  • 130 posts

Posted Jun 13 2009 - 02:32 PM

Here are a couple of making-of Gothica bits which might be of some interest.

cover-bw: The flat black-and-white vector drawing. Originally, this was all I'd planned to do for this one, but Tommi wasn't ready to release (and SRMZ crashed), so I had a little more time...

cover-0: Early stages of the coloring. The ribcage is solid-filled, with no shading.

cover-1: After shading the rib cage.

cover-4: Final artwork, before applying the black-green color gradient map and the text.

--jhb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links