Clutch

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 23 2009 - 05:44 AM

This is great news.

For a couple of months now i've had this exact problem and couldn't work out what the problem was. I suspected it was linked to the 65 Mod Update, but with my limited knowledge, couldn't work out why this was happening.

I'm happy someone else has spotted this so i now know its not just something i have done wrong.

Thanks to those working on a solution to this. I'm not sure i fully understand the thread entirely, but i have no objection to selecting the year / mod i am using evertime i open Setup Manager. Some people may find it a pain (I wouldn't), but adjusting setup's is never a quick job anyway so the selecting of one extra button as suggested is a small price to pay in my opinion.

And here is the perfect opportunity to say a big thanks to those who created Set Up Manager for GPL. I certainly appreciate it and think the program is excellent. I couldn't use GPL without it. Well Done. Your dedication to this fantastic Sim is appreciated by many people.

I look forward to a possible solution to this.

Cheers

#22 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted Apr 23 2009 - 06:59 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I can confirm that the old unpatched '65 and '67 .exes cannot read the newer 272 byte setup file format.

I've got a new version of Setup Manager working OK that will load existing setups in either of the setup file formats.  And often it can automatically determine the mod year.

The only remaining issue is when the user opens a NEW setup file for either '65 or '67.  I need to add a dialog box that asks the user whether he wants the old or new setup format.  Actually, as most users will not be bouncing back and forth between setup formats, I could add a program setting that fixes the mod year.

Unfortunately for Setup Manager, the weather here is warm and beautiful, the motorcycle is full of gas and the open road beckons.  I'll try to get something done in the next few days.   :bike:

Lee

#23 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted Apr 23 2009 - 07:08 AM

View PostClutch, on Apr 23 2009, 06:44 AM, said:

This is great news.

For a couple of months now i've had this exact problem and couldn't work out what the problem was. I suspected it was linked to the 65 Mod Update, but with my limited knowledge, couldn't work out why this was happening.

I'm happy someone else has spotted this so i now know its not just something i have done wrong.

Thanks to those working on a solution to this. I'm not sure i fully understand the thread entirely, but i have no objection to selecting the year / mod i am using evertime i open Setup Manager. Some people may find it a pain (I wouldn't), but adjusting setup's is never a quick job anyway so the selecting of one extra button as suggested is a small price to pay in my opinion.

And here is the perfect opportunity to say a big thanks to those who created Set Up Manager for GPL. I certainly appreciate it and think the program is excellent. I couldn't use GPL without it. Well Done. Your dedication to this fantastic Sim is appreciated by many people.

I look forward to a possible solution to this.

Cheers

You're welcome Clutch.

This is one of the nice things about the GPL community.  We have people who are talented in different areas.  I have a little bit of skill in programming, but can't draw a straight line.  Fortunately, we have other people who are very talented artists that can paint these beautiful textures.  And others can design tracks, test the physics, etc.

The is why GPL is still going strong 10 years later.   :D

Lee

#24 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,913 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Apr 23 2009 - 07:29 AM

View PostLee200, on Apr 23 2009, 01:59 PM, said:

Unfortunately for Setup Manager, the weather here is warm and beautiful, the motorcycle is full of gas and the open road beckons.  I'll try to get something done in the next few days.   :bike:

Lee
:D  Don't waste the opportunity of good weather, Lee!

#25 b_1_rd

b_1_rd

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted Apr 24 2009 - 03:42 AM

GPL Setup Manager 1.1.3

Hi Guys,

hope you might be able to point me in the right direction here.  When using the very useful setup manager I'm getting a small problem when trying to load some setups, it offers me a different mod.

It doesn't happen every time (infect mostly its ok) but for instance I tried loading a 65 mod, Setup manager cannot determine which mod, but offers me 66 or 69, not 65.

Am I doing something wrong or do I just have a weird enough setup to confuse the manager! ;)

I have attached the mexico setup in question.  Use it if you like but it might slow you down lol.

Cheers.

Attached Files

#26 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted Apr 24 2009 - 04:13 AM

This thread should be merged with this thread: http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=4173
The reason behind is that the mods have changed some setup files. Lee is working on it and maybe you contribute to the other thread so it's easier for Lee to see which problems might be there.

#27 b_1_rd

b_1_rd

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted Apr 24 2009 - 04:15 AM

Thanks Bernd, I'll take a read through.

#28 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,955 posts
  • Interests:Errrrrr, GPL? :-)
    Music , computing, hi-fi, motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 24 2009 - 05:58 AM

View PostBernd Nowak, on Apr 24 2009, 11:13 AM, said:

This thread should be merged
:iconcur:

threads merged

#29 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted Apr 25 2009 - 02:36 PM

Guys,

Here's a beta copy of GPL Setup Manager 1.1.5 which hopefully fixes or least works around the setup file format issue.

This is a complete GPL Setup Manager install so you should replace your current install, start GPL Setup Manager, then tell it where your GPL installs are.  This new program uses a slightly different program settings .ini so your old one won't work.

As I've mentioned before, the program can automatically determine the mod year when opening some of the setup files; however, you will have to tell it which mod year for the others.

Also, I've added a menu item for the Save As menu command in the Tools menu.  This sets the save as format for the '65 mod and '67 .exe only to either the short or long format.  The '66 and '69 mods are always saved in the long format.  This setting has no effect on the Save menu command as the currently loaded setup file format will be used for that.

I think this is all rather intuitive, but if you guys can figure an easier way, let me know.

EDIT:  File removed.

Lee

Edited by Lee200, Apr 26 2009 - 07:48 AM.

#30 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,913 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Apr 25 2009 - 03:13 PM

View PostLee200, on Apr 25 2009, 09:36 PM, said:

Guys,

Here's a beta copy of GPL Setup Manager 1.1.5 which hopefully fixes or least works around the setup file format issue.
WOOT! Downloading now, I'll try it out ASAP and let you know what I find/think.

Thanks Lee!  :thumbup:

Edited by Saiph, Apr 25 2009 - 03:13 PM.

#31 GORDON_S

GORDON_S

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 232 posts

Posted Apr 25 2009 - 04:02 PM

Thank you for this update (and the original version, of course) and taking care of the file-format-problem.

Great to have a choice for 65 and 67 as my 65-install is still waiting for its update...

Greets,

Gordon

#32 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,913 posts

Posted Apr 25 2009 - 07:12 PM

Just had time for a very quick test this evening.

The new selection boxes are excellent, very clear and unambiguous.

However, I did have a little problem. When first installed, the default setting for saving setup files is to save in the "short format". I was able to load and edit several setups with no problem, but after saving them, starting GPL (the updated '65 mod), and trying to load them, they would not load. GPL switched to the default setup instead. I was able select unedited setups from the GPL drop-down menu with no problems.

I'll have to double-check, but I think all the setup files I tried to use were recent 272-byte files. Maybe Setup Manager doesn't like converting "long format" setups back to "short format" for some reason?

I exited GPL, went back to GEM, and started Setup Manager again. This time I switched the option to "long format". After loading, editing and saving the files again, I started GPL again and this time the setups loaded with no problem.

It seems as though the Setup Manager "short format" isn't quite the same as GPL expects, at least as far as the updated GPLC65.EXE is concerned.

If you want me to post any of my setup files, or try any experiments and post the results, just let me know.

#33 DennisT

DennisT

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted Apr 26 2009 - 02:06 AM

View PostSaiph, on Apr 26 2009, 12:12 PM, said:

Just had time for a very quick test this evening.

The new selection boxes are excellent, very clear and unambiguous.

However, I did have a little problem. When first installed, the default setting for saving setup files is to save in the "short format". I was able to load and edit several setups with no problem, but after saving them, starting GPL (the updated '65 mod), and trying to load them, they would not load. GPL switched to the default setup instead. I was able select unedited setups from the GPL drop-down menu with no problems.

I'll have to double-check, but I think all the setup files I tried to use were recent 272-byte files. Maybe Setup Manager doesn't like converting "long format" setups back to "short format" for some reason?

I exited GPL, went back to GEM, and started Setup Manager again. This time I switched the option to "long format". After loading, editing and saving the files again, I started GPL again and this time the setups loaded with no problem.

It seems as though the Setup Manager "short format" isn't quite the same as GPL expects, at least as far as the updated GPLC65.EXE is concerned.

If you want me to post any of my setup files, or try any experiments and post the results, just let me know.

Just to advise that I had the same problem as Saiph and fixed by also going with the option of "long format"

Thanks for the Setup update, Lee.

Cheers
Dennis :D

#34 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted Apr 26 2009 - 07:09 AM

View PostDennisT, on Apr 26 2009, 03:06 AM, said:

Just to advise that I had the same problem as Saiph and fixed by also going with the option of "long format"

Thanks for the Setup update, Lee.

Cheers
Dennis :D

Thanks Dennis and Saiph,

I think I know the problem.  Within each setup file is a type byte which I forgot to reset when changing formats.  I'll fix that and see if that fixes things.

EDIT:

Attached is the newest v1.1.5 which correctly sets the type byte for the different formats.  I've tested it on my machine and the setups appear to work OK.  Please let me know how it works for you.  BTW, the only change to the previous install is the .exe so that's all you need to replace.

Lee

Edited by Lee200, Apr 26 2009 - 02:58 PM.

#35 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,913 posts

Posted Apr 26 2009 - 09:12 AM

I downloaded the new version, extracted the EXE and copied it into the Setup Manager directory, and unfortunately it looks like it hasn't made any difference.

I loaded a recent (272-byte) setup, made a couple of changes to the camber settings, and saved it as a short-format file. When I entered GPL and tried to load it, it failed and swapped me to the default setup, just like before.

I exited GPL, resaved it as a long-format file, and it now loads fine.

I've attached the files so that you can have a look at them Lee:
The "..._base_002x" file is the original 272-byte file.
The "..._hick_001xS" file is the updated file with camber changes, saved in short format.
The "..._hick_001xL" file is the updated file saved in long format.

Attached Files

#36 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted Apr 26 2009 - 10:06 AM

View PostSaiph, on Apr 26 2009, 09:12 AM, said:

I downloaded the new version, extracted the EXE and copied it into the Setup Manager directory, and unfortunately it looks like it hasn't made any difference.

I loaded a recent (272-byte) setup, made a couple of changes to the camber settings, and saved it as a short-format file. When I entered GPL and tried to load it, it failed and swapped me to the default setup, just like before.

I exited GPL, resaved it as a long-format file, and it now loads fine.

I've attached the files so that you can have a look at them Lee:
The "..._base_002x" file is the original 272-byte file.
The "..._hick_001xS" file is the updated file with camber changes, saved in short format.
The "..._hick_001xL" file is the updated file saved in long format.

Thanks Saiph,

Apparently, I'm overlooking something.   :(

Your files should help find the problem.

Lee

#37 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted Apr 26 2009 - 03:02 PM

Stupid, stupid me.   :huh:

I forgot that the Type 3 and Type 4 file formats not only are different sizes, but the file size is contained within the setup file.  I'd forgotten to reset the file size bytes within the setup file.

Hopefully, this latest version will fix the problem.

If not, you know where to find me.

Lee

Attached Files

Edited by Lee200, Apr 26 2009 - 03:03 PM.

#38 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,913 posts

Posted Apr 26 2009 - 06:04 PM

This version seems to work perfectly Lee.   :yeah:   I've tested it on the updated '65 mod, and on the '66 mod. Setup Manager now loads all my setups correctly, and GPL loads edited setups perfectly as well.

I'll try to spend some time checking the other mods in the next few days, but at the moment it looks like you've cracked it!  :clap2:

Thanks a lot!   :thumbup:

#39 DennisT

DennisT

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted Apr 27 2009 - 05:45 AM

View PostLee200, on Apr 27 2009, 08:02 AM, said:

I forgot that the Type 3 and Type 4 file formats not only are different sizes, but the file size is contained within the setup file.  I'd forgotten to reset the file size bytes within the setup file.

Lee

Hi Lee
Works fine with me mate.

Thanks again.

As I have always struggled understanding the torque/HP side of the setup, is there anywhere/manual that will help this dumb Aussie understand this area. :shrug:

Cheers
Dennis

#40 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Apr 27 2009 - 05:53 AM

View PostDennisT, on Apr 27 2009, 12:45 PM, said:

View PostLee200, on Apr 27 2009, 08:02 AM, said:

Lee

Hi Lee
Works fine with me mate.

Thanks again.

As I have always struggled understanding the torque/HP side of the setup, is there anywhere/manual that will help this dumb Aussie understand this area. :shrug:

Cheers
Dennis

I just read a humerous quote somewhere recently;

Horsepower is what governs the speed at which you hit the brick wall, torque is what governs how far in to the brick wall you will travel!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links