#46 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 08 2010 - 02:24 AM

For sure ! You're some of the persons who really have been in contact with GPL since the beta days so it would be much appreciated to post them or if you like to post them in the wiki.
Basically creation of a wiki article is simple. There are only a couple of wiki commands to format the html stuff because promary goal of a wiki is not fancy graphics instead it's primary goal is to share information IMO :)
As you can see I'm way behind due to personal matters :(

#47 charli181

charli181

Graham Hill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted May 23 2010 - 07:08 PM

Hi there,

Can I ask for www.AusGPL.com to be added to the online League list please. This league was formerly known as MelbourneGPL.com but decided to change the name after many years and a revamp on the website.

Thanks in advance

Sean.

#48 Int

Int

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted Jun 05 2010 - 10:43 PM

Hello,

I just want to report that the link for the mod 65 isn't working anymore on the Wiki's page!
But here is "the working one" to copy and past, to fix it...  ;)

http://download.bcsi.../65/65modv2.htm

Intruder.

#49 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,494 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Jun 06 2010 - 04:34 AM

hey guys,

few quick questions. what do you think would be the best way to post tutorials for gpl? i'm thinking of creating a series of tutorials dealing with aspects of skinning cars. actually i've already completed the first one. so far it (/they) consists of a few stray images and a .txt to go along with it.

i'm thinking of spicing it up a bit and making it somewhat more userfriendly - i.e. pictures next to the text. so i'm wondering if .pdf would be the preferred method, or maybe .html (could be made into .pdf anyway) or just do it all in another way entirely - not interactive though :P.

i'm leaning towards .pdf as that can be read on any box if you have acrobat / adobe reader or any one of the alternatives to that installed. html can be a bit tricky since it is dependant on the settings of the browser of the user (messing up the layout, etc...) - although it would fit better into the wiki scheme of things

opinions?
oh and also ideas regarding what tools to use? i've been thinking of doing the im photoshop/illustrator/indesign or word - that is if it is going to be the .pdf thing.

#50 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Validating
  • 1,664 posts

Posted Jun 07 2010 - 07:13 AM

View PostInt, on Jun 05 2010 - 10:43 PM, said:

Hello,

I just want to report that the link for the mod 65 isn't working anymore on the Wiki's page!
But here is "the working one" to copy and past, to fix it...  ;)

http://download.bcsi.../65/65modv2.htm

Intruder.

Thanks for this. I have corrected the entry. Everyone is welcome to point to changes and help :thumbup:

#51 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Validating
  • 1,664 posts

Posted Jun 07 2010 - 07:17 AM

View Postsky, on Jun 06 2010 - 04:34 AM, said:

hey guys,

few quick questions. what do you think would be the best way to post tutorials for gpl? i'm thinking of creating a series of tutorials dealing with aspects of skinning cars. actually i've already completed the first one. so far it (/they) consists of a few stray images and a .txt to go along with it.

i'm thinking of spicing it up a bit and making it somewhat more userfriendly - i.e. pictures next to the text. so i'm wondering if .pdf would be the preferred method, or maybe .html (could be made into .pdf anyway) or just do it all in another way entirely - not interactive though :P.

i'm leaning towards .pdf as that can be read on any box if you have acrobat / adobe reader or any one of the alternatives to that installed. html can be a bit tricky since it is dependant on the settings of the browser of the user (messing up the layout, etc...) - although it would fit better into the wiki scheme of things

opinions?
oh and also ideas regarding what tools to use? i've been thinking of doing the im photoshop/illustrator/indesign or word - that is if it is going to be the .pdf thing.

Would be great to have some more tutorials up and running. The problem with single pdf files is that you can't search for them like it's general possible on a wiki site. However the layout options on a wiki are very limited. The main reason for this is to keep it simple and don't force the user to 'learn' fancy html code.

But regardless I think I would be happy to upload pdf files and create some pages for them or to help creating the wiki pages. It's not that complicated.

#52 Bruce

Bruce

Sir

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted Mar 22 2011 - 06:48 PM

There needs to be a bit of a proof-read done across the pages, as there are many spelling and grammatical errors.
This would give a more professional finish to the text.

I feel compelled to ask, why did you create a Wiki-style reference place rather than enhance the actual Wikipedia entry for GPL?

Bruce

#53 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Validating
  • 1,664 posts

Posted Mar 23 2011 - 04:32 AM

View PostBruce, on Mar 22 2011 - 06:48 PM, said:

There needs to be a bit of a proof-read done across the pages, as there are many spelling and grammatical errors.
This would give a more professional finish to the text.

I feel compelled to ask, why did you create a Wiki-style reference place rather than enhance the actual Wikipedia entry for GPL?

Bruce

Bruce, as you may know I'm no native english speaking person and there's a lot stuff copied and pasted. So if someone is willing to do a proof read this would be great.
The reason why I have choosen to create a standalone wiki was that the 'normal' wiki has to much limitations in regards to copyrights. Think about how much things for GPL have been done which might harm some copyrights.
Another reason is that when you search in the GPL standalone wiki you only get the results from the GPL wiki which is not true for the 'great' wikipedia.
There's still a lot to add but I'm running very short on free time at the moment.

Bernd

#54 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Mar 23 2011 - 05:38 AM

View PostBernd Nowak, on Mar 23 2011 - 04:32 AM, said:

The reason why I have choosen to create a standalone wiki was that the 'normal' wiki has to much limitations in regards to copyrights. Think about how much things for GPL have been done which might harm some copyrights.

Maybe I am missing something, but how exactly is respect for copyright a bad thing?

#55 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Validating
  • 1,664 posts

Posted Mar 23 2011 - 05:56 AM

If you think about the rights to Cooper which the GPLEA gave the Coventry the right livery but Papyrus hadn't them so that's why Papyrus has a Coventry. From the point of the wikepedia one has to be more then carefull to have links and stuff in it which points to such stuff. Only because the GPL community has been not in any discussions means not that is right to have a 65/69/SportsCars mod with the real brand names in it.

There're some side effects of copyrights I have seen here in germany which are very strange especially in relation to non profit stuff.

#56 Bruce

Bruce

Sir

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted Mar 23 2011 - 09:47 PM

View PostBernd Nowak, on Mar 23 2011 - 05:56 AM, said:

If you think about the rights to Cooper which the GPLEA gave the Coventry the right livery but Papyrus hadn't them so that's why Papyrus has a Coventry. From the point of the wikepedia one has to be more then carefull to have links and stuff in it which points to such stuff. Only because the GPL community has been not in any discussions means not that is right to have a 65/69/SportsCars mod with the real brand names in it.....
For anything that may be copyrighted, or even suspected of being so, simply don't provide a link.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not suggesting for one moment that there shouldn't be a stand-alone GPL "Wiki" but I am sure that there are many others like me who, when searching for information, refer to Google and Wikipedia before anything else.

Therefore, if it doesn't already exist, why not put a link to the SRMZ GPL encyclopedia on the actual Wikipedia page?

Bernd, with regard to proof-reading, I'm only too happy to run through it as time allows (like you, I have too many activities and not enough hours in the day! :) )

Regards,
Bruce

#57 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Validating
  • 1,664 posts

Posted Mar 24 2011 - 06:47 AM

Bruce (the BRUCE who did some wonderful stuff in the past for GPL?) I will setup an account during the next days and will give you access to the wiki. Would be great to have some small help here.

#58 Bruce

Bruce

Sir

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted Mar 24 2011 - 05:03 PM

View PostBernd Nowak, on Mar 24 2011 - 06:47 AM, said:

Bruce (the BRUCE who did some wonderful stuff in the past for GPL?) I will setup an account during the next days and will give you access to the wiki. Would be great to have some small help here.
Not the same Bruce, I'm sure. :)
I've never created anything worthwhile for GPL, Bernd. The only input I had was right at the beginning, when the playable demo came out in 1998.
I gave some feedback which led to a minor change to the release-candidate.

Only to happy to assist where possible with information (particularly on Aussie historic stuff) and also with the Wiki.

Regards,
Bruce

#59 Int

Int

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted Mar 26 2012 - 01:19 PM

Hello,

I've just noticed that the GT and F2 mods are still not indexed on the Wiki's page!
If someone could edit it, it would be nice...  ;)

Intruder

#60 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,788 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted May 23 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostInt, on Mar 26 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Hello,

I've just noticed that the GT and F2 mods are still not indexed on the Wiki's page!
If someone could edit it, it would be nice...  ;)

Intruder

On this other GPL Wikipedia, you 'll see it has been indexed

http://en.wikipedia....nd_Prix_Legends

Edited by M Needforspeed, May 23 2012 - 01:12 PM.

indianapolis 1967 review at...

Speedgeezers ( thanks Paul Jackson for hosting - and now Bill Cooper!)

http://dixierunners....967/indy67race/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links