#31 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Mar 02 2010 - 06:11 PM

Any discussion about the proportions of the cockpit are irrelevant when using default FOV, which totally distorts the image. If you use a realistic FOV you wouldn't actually see much of the cockpit opening anyway!!!

#32 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 03 2010 - 01:55 PM

In GEM, mine says Gurney Eagle and everything is fine.  Did you ever try Rudy's Eagle dash?  It has the tachometer offset.  Other than that, it sounds like a bad download and/or install.

#33 Remco Hitman - guest

Remco Hitman - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 11 2010 - 02:48 AM

View PostKen, on Mar 02 2010 - 06:11 PM, said:

Any discussion about the proportions of the cockpit are irrelevant when using default FOV, which totally distorts the image. If you use a realistic FOV you wouldn't actually see much of the cockpit opening anyway!!!

Then how is that ever a realistic POV? :P

#34 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Mar 11 2010 - 02:58 AM

View PostRemco Hitman, on Mar 11 2010 - 02:48 AM, said:

The FOV is realistic but using a small monitor is not :D Using a projector and sitting quite close to the screen would make a large FOV realistic.

#35 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Mar 11 2010 - 01:02 PM

View PostRemco Hitman, on Mar 11 2010 - 02:48 AM, said:

????

I'm sure if you sit in a real race car cockpit and look straight ahead you will not see the cockpit opening. You will be sitting in the opening, but unless you look down you won't see it, and in GPL we can't look down. ;)

#36 Ivo Porč

Ivo Porč

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 05:06 AM

View Postmiklkit, on Feb 22 2010 - 12:08 PM, said:

Notice how wide the body is and how much it tapers in at the top.  Dan Gurney is a big man and needed a roomy cockpit.
This directly the point, which I mean, I miss the impression of tapering in the eagle's cockpits while driving.

Can help this? (I'm adding ingame point of view, which I use from this cockpit).

Attached Files

Edited by Ivo Porč, Mar 22 2010 - 06:06 AM.

#37 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 01:32 PM

View PostIvo Porč, on Mar 22 2010 - 05:06 AM, said:

View Postmiklkit, on Feb 22 2010 - 12:08 PM, said:

Notice how wide the body is and how much it tapers in at the top.  Dan Gurney is a big man and needed a roomy cockpit.
This directly the point, which I mean, I miss the impression of tapering in the eagle's cockpits while driving.

Can help this? (I'm adding ingame point of view, which I use from this cockpit).

But would a real life view not look more like this???

Attached Files

#38 Akseli - guest

Akseli - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 01:37 PM

It would. They dont have a mirror in the air and live telemetry

Edited by Akseli, Mar 22 2010 - 01:37 PM.

#39 Remco Hitman - guest

Remco Hitman - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 02:10 PM

View PostKen, on Mar 22 2010 - 01:32 PM, said:

But would a real life view not look more like this???

Now why on earth would you think that? A natural FOV is way larger than that of course. Peripheral vision is quite important for the sense of speed and direction, a.k.a. situational awareness.
What your screen is showing is merely the focus of a driver looking straight ahead.

I don't even know how you would go about negotiating La Source or Station hairpin driving like that! Guesswork?

Edited by Remco Hitman, Mar 22 2010 - 02:13 PM.

#40 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 02:43 PM

Most people drive with a severly limited "viewport" defined by a single monitor. To compensate for this, a wider FOV than would normally fit the viewport can be used. This squeezes more of the scene onto the screen, but distorts the view. Some people, like Ken and me, bite the bullet and stay with the natural FOV. I do this simply because I found it more comfortable after testing both options. It is easier for me to drive a good (or a less bad) line, even though in tight corners I can't see the apex. With a wide FOV, corners look less sharp than they really are and I have not been able to adjust to this, at least judging from laptimes. Neither option is inherently better than the other, since both have limitations. Ideally the display device (several monitors or a projector screen) would cover enough of the field of vision that a large FOV would not distort the view. The larger the display, the less need for a compromise.

#41 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 02:44 PM

View PostRemco Hitman, on Mar 22 2010 - 02:10 PM, said:

I don't even know how you would go about negotiating La Source or Station hairpin driving like that! Guesswork?

Skill and judgement.  ;)

Seriously though, what I'm trying to say is you will never reproduce the view from real life on a PC monitor. It is not possible to feel like you have a cockpit wrapped around you, which is what Ivo seems to want.

#42 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 02:45 PM

View PostKen, on Mar 22 2010 - 02:44 PM, said:

View PostRemco Hitman, on Mar 22 2010 - 02:10 PM, said:

Skill and judgement.  ;)

Seriously though, what I'm trying to say is you will never reproduce the view from real life on a PC monitor. It is not possible to feel like you have a cockpit wrapped around you, which is what Ivo seems to want.

but brr said it better!!!

#43 benzman

benzman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything about the real world as opposed to fantasy.

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 03:42 PM

I drove GPL for about a year before I even realised that it was possible to change the FOV!  I have not tried different settings as I feel it would mean learning to drive all over again.  I think there is no 'right' or 'wrong' setting, it is simply whatever you are used to.  Much the same applies to such things as force-feedback wheel settings, rotation values, steering ratios, etc.

#44 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 04:05 PM

View PostAkseli, on Mar 22 2010 - 01:37 PM, said:

It would. They dont have a mirror in the air and live telemetry

But real drivers can turn their heads and look in their real mirrors!! But they do need to turn their heads, they wouldn't see them looking straight ahead.

Edited by Ken, Mar 22 2010 - 04:05 PM.

#45 Remco Hitman - guest

Remco Hitman - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 04:11 PM

They'd see a car darting in and out of their mirrors even when looking straight ahead.
IMO both mirrors ought to be visible whatever FOV you use.
Then again, I ám a total nerd :P

Edited by Remco Hitman, Mar 22 2010 - 04:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links