Jump to content


* * * * * 3 votes

GPL 60 fps patch version 1 released


  • Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#281 Frenchy

Frenchy

    Denny Hulme

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 18 2009 - 01:49 PM

Thanks again BRR for your excellent patch.

I have been running a 60fps practice server for a few weeks now and all has been well with everyone really enjoying the benefits of 60 fps. However, attempts to run serious league races have ended in chaos when drivers who think they're patched (but aren't) join in and start circulating. We have been pushing hard to educate, provide support and time for testing but to guarantee a trouble free session we really need to be able to block clients who aren't patched.

Has any progress been made in this regard or is it not really feasible?

Cheers
David

#282 brr

brr

    a GPL editor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 18 2009 - 02:40 PM

View PostFrenchy, on Apr 18 2009, 10:49 PM, said:

Thanks again BRR for your excellent patch.

I have been running a 60fps practice server for a few weeks now and all has been well with everyone really enjoying the benefits of 60 fps. However, attempts to run serious league races have ended in chaos when drivers who think they're patched (but aren't) join in and start circulating. We have been pushing hard to educate, provide support and time for testing but to guarantee a trouble free session we really need to be able to block clients who aren't patched.

Has any progress been made in this regard or is it not really feasible?

I don't have enough information to implement any sort of online fps checking in the patch. Messing with the online code when I don't know what I am doing does not sound very smart, and would probably cause more problems. It should be possible to make iGOR to do the fps checking, and as far as I know this is being done.

I am not sure what exactly makes it too difficult for people to make sure they are patched, but if it helps, here's a little app which shows the fps of each exe in the gpl folder (currently just gpl.exe and mods). Just point it to your gpl.exe.


.

Attached Files



#283 Frenchy

Frenchy

    Denny Hulme

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 19 2009 - 07:01 AM

Thanks BRR for the handy fps exe checking app

The guys who practice on-line seem to have it all sorted, it's the guys who practice off-line (or not at all?) who seem to be struggling. Hopefully we'll get there soon. Just did a race at Cermont65, and the track looks even more beautiful at 60fps.

Good luck to the guys working on iGor. Blocking unpatched clients would really help gain confidence with the 60fps server, then all we need is to upgrade some of the guys who are still running pc's from 1998 :)

Thanks
David

#284 orville944

orville944

    Chris Irwin

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 28 2009 - 04:01 AM

Just wanted to add my gratitude for this amazing achievement!  :thumbup:

Thanks to all who worked on this patch... it makes a wonderous improvement to the visual quality and will help my laptimes as there are fewer distractions.

Fantastic, a truly unexpected pleasure... Now if you can get the AI working...  :clap2:

#285 Tidge

Tidge

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Location:Dayton, Ohio
  • Interests:GPL, F1, Private Pilot, R/C Pilot

Posted Apr 28 2009 - 11:26 AM

View Postbrr, on Apr 17 2009, 10:30 AM, said:

View PostTidge, on Apr 17 2009, 05:26 PM, said:

View Postbrr, on Apr 17 2009, 10:07 AM, said:

View PostTidge, on Apr 17 2009, 05:02 PM, said:

I have GPL 2004 Demo installed on my laptop, just for viewing replays with, I don't drive on it. Our league is going to 60 fps next season. Is there a way to easily change my Demo version to view 60 fps replays without installing Gem ?

You can copy the exes produced by GEM+ over to the laptop (gplc67.exe etc), and launch GPL from them directly.

Very cool ,  Thanks BRR,  I knew there had to be an easy way.   It looks like I can still view 36 fps replays as well without changing anything, is that right ?   Really nice to get rid of those "Rubber Suspensions"  though !!

You do need two exes, for example gpl.exe for 36fps and gplc67.exe for 60fps.

Well, it did work great, on that replay anyway, but when trying to view another replay made at a different track, it is in slow motion.

#286 brr

brr

    a GPL editor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 28 2009 - 11:39 AM

View PostTidge, on Apr 28 2009, 08:26 PM, said:

Well, it did work great, on that replay anyway, but when trying to view another replay made at a different track, it is in slow motion.

Slow motion means you are viewing a 60fps replay using an unpatched exe. That's what I meant by two exes, one unpatched for 36fps replays and another (patched) for 60fps replays.

#287 Tidge

Tidge

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Location:Dayton, Ohio
  • Interests:GPL, F1, Private Pilot, R/C Pilot

Posted Apr 28 2009 - 11:55 AM

View Postbrr, on Apr 28 2009, 01:39 PM, said:

View PostTidge, on Apr 28 2009, 08:26 PM, said:

Well, it did work great, on that replay anyway, but when trying to view another replay made at a different track, it is in slow motion.

Slow motion means you are viewing a 60fps replay using an unpatched exe. That's what I meant by two exes, one unpatched for 36fps replays and another (patched) for 60fps replays.


My demo folder has a" gpl.exe" and a "gplc67.exe" , you mean I need two gpl.exe's ?

#288 brr

brr

    a GPL editor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 28 2009 - 12:06 PM

View PostTidge, on Apr 28 2009, 08:55 PM, said:

My demo folder has a" gpl.exe" and a "gplc67.exe" , you mean I need two gpl.exe's ?

No, you need one unpatched exe (for example, gpl.exe) to view 36 fps replays, and gplc67.exe to view 60fps replays. The gplc67.exe must obviously be patched for 60fps in this case.

#289 Tidge

Tidge

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Location:Dayton, Ohio
  • Interests:GPL, F1, Private Pilot, R/C Pilot

Posted Apr 28 2009 - 12:19 PM

View Postbrr, on Apr 28 2009, 02:06 PM, said:

View PostTidge, on Apr 28 2009, 08:55 PM, said:

My demo folder has a" gpl.exe" and a "gplc67.exe" , you mean I need two gpl.exe's ?

No, you need one unpatched exe (for example, gpl.exe) to view 36 fps replays, and gplc67.exe to view 60fps replays. The gplc67.exe must obviously be patched for 60fps in this case.

Yes, it was copied from the other computer.  They are both in the Demo folder together.

#290 summerski

summerski

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted Apr 30 2009 - 06:24 AM

View Postsummerski, on Apr 8 2009, 02:35 PM, said:

First off, thanks again Brr for this fine addition.

I just did my first 67Mod 60fps on-line test at Zandy and had a problem. Just past the first turn, the steering just locked up for no apparent reason. Never happened before. Though I'm probably the only one this has happened to, I thought I should still bring it up. See attached replay for details....

Replay

Cheers,

Will


Well I was hoping this was an isolated incident but this problem persists and it only occurs on-line. Last night it happened during a nearly full field race at Road Atlanta. On the first lap, the wheel froze and the accelerator stuck for a split second which caused a lousy accident. I carried on hoping it wouldn't happed again but it happened again at the exact same location, then again just after the first turn. I had to quit.

No disrespect intended at all to BRR and his fine patch but that's it for me and on-line 60fps races. Bloody shame too but it's not worth risking unnecessary accidents.

The only thing I can think of is, I don't use any feedback on my wheel but that's just a guess. I use a red momo and have never had this problem prior to the release of the patch.

Maybe a G25 will solve this problem but that's not in the budget anytime soon. On a positive note, the frame rates were excellent with the full field on an add-on track. :)

Cheers,

Will

Edited by summerski, Apr 30 2009 - 06:27 AM.


#291 brr

brr

    a GPL editor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 30 2009 - 06:39 AM

View Postsummerski, on Apr 30 2009, 03:24 PM, said:

The only thing I can think of is, I don't use any feedback on my wheel but that's just a guess. I use a red momo and have never had this problem prior to the release of the patch.

Could you post a bit more information about your setup, in case some other red Momo users can spot some differences (assuming they don't have the same problem). For example, which Logitech driver version are you using? It seems GPL stops receiving control inputs for a while, if the car does not respond to turning the wheel. What kind of USB devices you have plugged in?

#292 summerski

summerski

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted Apr 30 2009 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for your help BRR. I'd love to pinpoint this and get back into 60fps action.

With my very limited knowledge, I see I have the FF settings ON in the Logi profile and OFF in the core.ini. Not sure this matters. I will turn it OFF straight away.

Anyway, here's what I'm running....


Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#293 brr

brr

    a GPL editor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 30 2009 - 07:53 AM

View Postsummerski, on Apr 30 2009, 04:13 PM, said:

Thanks for your help BRR. I'd love to pinpoint this and get back into 60fps action.

With my very limited knowledge, I see I have the FF settings ON in the Logi profile and OFF in the core.ini. Not sure this matters. I will turn it OFF straight away.

The logitech driver is quite old, maybe other red momo users can comment if it makes sense to update it. USB seems ok.

The 60fps patch does not change the code which reads controller values, but it probably does cause them to be read more often. I'm not sure of the details, so can't yet say how this could cause the problem.

#294 Iron99

Iron99

    Jack Brabham

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted May 02 2009 - 04:01 PM

Amazing Mod!

It is simply wonderful driving GPL at 60FPS :).

Couple bugs that I'll report later after some more testing to make sure that I'm not doing something wrong at my end.  

Thank You Brr, You rock!

#295 salvasirignano

salvasirignano

    John Surtees

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 09 2009 - 07:08 PM

Thanks very much for this patch.
Thankfully my PC can run it on full detail still, and the difference is breathtaking  :o
I sincerely hope that somebody is able to solve the AI problems in the future.
Many thanks again for this!
Who needs rfactor2?  :lol:

#296 Simcrazy

Simcrazy

    Ludovico Scarfiotti

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 11 2009 - 09:19 PM

Great Job Brr

I have the wobbly look and i have vsync. on what should I do?

Thanks

#297 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted May 11 2009 - 09:28 PM

View PostSimcrazy, on May 11 2009, 09:19 PM, said:

Great Job Brr

I have the wobbly look and i have vsync. on what should I do?

Thanks
Id try the other v2 rasterizer of what you are using now

#298 Simcrazy

Simcrazy

    Ludovico Scarfiotti

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 11 2009 - 10:52 PM

View PostJohnnyAck, on May 11 2009, 08:28 PM, said:

View PostSimcrazy, on May 11 2009, 09:19 PM, said:

Great Job Brr

I have the wobbly look and i have vsync. on what should I do?

Thanks
Id try the other v2 rasterizer of what you are using now
OK I was using Direct 3D V2, So I switched to Open GL V2, And It's working great .
I went back to Direct 3D V2 and the problem cameback, So Open Gl V2 works on my system.

Now I notice something else it happens on both I get flickering on objects not up close but way out in front
any Ideas?

Thank You
and hope to see you on the track.

#299 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted May 12 2009 - 04:15 PM

View PostSimcrazy, on May 11 2009, 11:52 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyAck, on May 11 2009, 08:28 PM, said:

View PostSimcrazy, on May 11 2009, 09:19 PM, said:

Great Job Brr

I have the wobbly look and i have vsync. on what should I do?

Thanks
Id try the other v2 rasterizer of what you are using now
OK I was using Direct 3D V2, So I switched to Open GL V2, And It's working great .
I went back to Direct 3D V2 and the problem cameback, So Open Gl V2 works on my system.

Now I notice something else it happens on both I get flickering on objects not up close but way out in front
any Ideas?

Thank You
and hope to see you on the track.
I believe to get rid of the flikering, you have to adjust the line in core.ini in the rasterv2 section called LODbias= anywhere from -50 to +50 somewhere in there, it varies from vid card If i remember right. adjust it until u get the desired result

#300 jgoedhart

jgoedhart

    Guy Ligier

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 15 2009 - 04:03 PM

many thanks for this great update!!
Why didnt came this earlier?  :P

cheers

Jeroen




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links