Jump to content


* * * * * 3 votes

GPL 60 fps patch version 1 released


  • Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#1 brr

brr

    a GPL editor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 01:35 AM

The patch modifies GPL to run at a maximum 60 frames per second instead of the original maximum 36 frames per second. If you use an LCD monitor or a projector, are running GPL with Vista, or would prefer higher fps, then try the patch.

Please read the included README very carefully, since there are certain issues everyone using the patch should be aware of. If you have problems which the README (or Bob Simpson's GPL FAQ) does not answer, read this thread and look for the answer. If there is still a problem, post it here with all the relevant information.
UPDATE Please use the newer version of the 60fps patch (necessary to join online servers running 60fpsv2 patch):
http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=4584

UPDATE: current version of GPLRA does not open 60 fps replays due to different header information in the replays. Below is a patched version, the only change is to accept 60 fps replays. It will not analyze 60 fps laps correctly, so please do not report back on this. It is intended for those hosting online races, since 60 fps race reports are generated correctly. A proper update to GPLRA is in the works.

Attached File  60FPSv1.zip   3.67K   3737 downloads
Attached File  gplra780_60.zip   1.57MB   2042 downloads


dangermouse EDIT: please find the 60fps patch inspector over HERE.

Edited by brr, Mar 26 2010 - 07:38 AM.
added link


#2 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 04:08 AM

View Postbrr, on Mar 1 2009, 02:35 AM, said:

The patch modifies GPL to run at 60 frames per second instead of the original 36 frames per second. If you use an LCD monitor or a projector, are running GPL with Vista, or would prefer higher fps, then try the patch.

Please read the included README very carefully, since there are certain issues everyone using the patch should be aware of. If you have problems which the README (or Bob Simpson's GPL FAQ) does not answer, read this thread and look for the answer. If there is still a problem, post it here with all the relevant information.
YAY thank you brr, and all involved:)

#3 FloP

FloP

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Location:Rödermark
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 04:25 AM

This is great news - big THANK YOU from me, too!  :thanks:

#4 60fps Please

60fps Please

    Jo Siffert

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 04:35 AM

I'm looking forward to this now that I've got decent hardware too...

One query:  The readme is a little vague about whether the change this increased fps has an actual impact on the physics. I'm just curious because I want to know that pb I've done in 36 fps gpl is done with the same physics in effect as when in 60fps. What I mean by that is I know the car grip for example is te same value, but because its perhaps getting calculated faster am I getting more grip in reality?

I'd recommend all folk use a different player name so that you can monitor the impact on your pb's via gplrank... Also means those left with 36fps arent getting false rank impacts...

Regards

#5 Rodolfo

Rodolfo

    Mike Spence

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Salzgitter, Germany

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 04:43 AM

Thank you very very much, I cannot wait to try it,

Rolf

#6 brr

brr

    a GPL editor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 04:50 AM

View Post60fps Please, on Mar 1 2009, 12:35 PM, said:

One query:  The readme is a little vague about whether the change this increased fps has an actual impact on the physics. I'm just curious because I want to know that pb I've done in 36 fps gpl is done with the same physics in effect as when in 60fps. What I mean by that is I know the car grip for example is te same value, but because its perhaps getting calculated faster am I getting more grip in reality?

Testing was the only reasonable way to find out the impact. A faster physics rate may cause small differences laptimes, but it is not obvious this would be an advantage. The opposite may be true as well. I did some skid patch testing with acceleration meter and did not find differences in grip.

Quote

I'd recommend all folk use a different player name so that you can monitor the impact on your pb's via gplrank.

So would I.

#7 fgubbels

fgubbels

    Bob Anderson

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 05:36 AM

Thanks Petteri,

I just tested on Kyalami where I'm hotlapping and have currently a good feeling. This is absolutely marvellous. I'm impressed by the fluidity of GPL. This is a major patch and I hope you are going to continue on this way to get all mods working with this patch.

I did not notice any change in the physics from 36FPS and my laptimes looks very similar.

Giant with a very smooth install.

Thanks Thanks Thanks.
:thumbup:

#8 DennisT

DennisT

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Location:Tasmania, Australia
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 06:09 AM

View Postfgubbels, on Mar 1 2009, 10:36 PM, said:

Thanks Petteri,

I just tested on Kyalami where I'm hotlapping and have currently a good feeling. This is absolutely marvellous. I'm impressed by the fluidity of GPL. This is a major patch and I hope you are going to continue on this way to get all mods working with this patch.

I did not notice any change in the physics from 36FPS and my laptimes looks very similar.

Giant with a very smooth install.

Thanks Thanks Thanks.
:thumbup:


All mods work with this don't they BRR???
www.tassiedevil.com.au

#9 Guest_DarkGuest_

Guest_DarkGuest_
  • Guests

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 06:16 AM

Awesome news  :clap2:

#10 brr

brr

    a GPL editor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 06:16 AM

View PostDennisT, on Mar 1 2009, 02:09 PM, said:

View Postfgubbels, on Mar 1 2009, 10:36 PM, said:

This is a major patch and I hope you are going to continue on this way to get all mods working with this patch.

All mods work with this don't they BRR???

They should, but I can't guarantee it. Mods are being developed and updated, which can break compatibility. Having nothing to do with mod development, I can't prepare for something like this so officially only 67 is supported. Hopefully mod developers will test their updates with 60 fps and let me know if there is a problem.

#11 DennisT

DennisT

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Location:Tasmania, Australia
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 06:29 AM

View Postbrr, on Mar 1 2009, 11:16 PM, said:

View PostDennisT, on Mar 1 2009, 02:09 PM, said:

View Postfgubbels, on Mar 1 2009, 10:36 PM, said:

This is a major patch and I hope you are going to continue on this way to get all mods working with this patch.

All mods work with this don't they BRR???

They should, but I can't guarantee it. Mods are being developed and updated, which can break compatibility. Having nothing to do with mod development, I can't prepare for something like this so officially only 67 is supported. Hopefully mod developers will test their updates with 60 fps and let me know if there is a problem.


Thanks mate
Works ok with 65, will test rest tomorrow.

Thanks to all who worked on this great patch.

Looks great

Cheers :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:    
Dennis :clap2: :clap2:
www.tassiedevil.com.au

#12 CraigT

CraigT

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Interests:Golf
    Racing

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 06:36 AM

Thank you to all involved...so far so good with the patch. From what I have seen, this is pretty impressive stuff!   :yeah:    :clap2:

Now all we need is the Pribulda patch for the new d3d rastys and I will be a happy dude!!!   :thumbup:

#13 pmc40

pmc40

    Chris Irwin

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 07:43 AM

thanks brr and testers:)

#14 DHosein

DHosein

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:GPL: TotalRank

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 07:47 AM

I don't know if this is a known problem, or if it's just not been spotted yet, but I have found one GPL utility that appears to be incompatible with the new 60fps patch.

GPL Glance doesn't work on a 60fps install.

The GPL Glance box launches in the background as usual, but turning the wheel gives no change in the direction of the POV.

Switching back to 36fps, and GPL Glance works OK again.

No idea if this is fixable, or even how many people actually use GPL Glance. Also, don't know if a similar problem will affect Track IR users?

Other than that.. appears to be an excellent addition to GPL. Another of those 'it cannot be done' ideas quashed!.

#15 brr

brr

    a GPL editor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 01 2009 - 07:55 AM

View PostDHosein, on Mar 1 2009, 03:47 PM, said:

I don't know if this is a known problem, or if it's just not been spotted yet, but I have found one GPL utility that appears to be incompatible with the new 60fps patch.

GPL Glance doesn't work on a 60fps install.

The GPL Glance box launches in the background as usual, but turning the wheel gives no change in the direction of the POV.

Switching back to 36fps, and GPL Glance works OK again.

No idea if this is fixable, or even how many people actually use GPL Glance. Also, don't know if a similar problem will affect Track IR users?

This was not a known issue, thanks for reporting. As I don't use GPL Glance or TrackIR myself, it seems unlikely that I am able to fix the compatibilty. But if someone else figures out what causes the problem, let me know.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links