Simbear

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:F1, Grand Prix Legends, road projects
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 10 2007 - 07:44 PM

Attached File  rstavs1_t_lastchic_south.jpg   357.77K   402 downloads Attached File  rstavs1_t_lastchic.jpg   385.66K   1139 downloads Attached File  rstavs1_t1_overview.jpg   397.87K   359 downloads Attached File  rstavs1_back_yard.jpg   329.5K   379 downloads

Rstavs1 readme
==============

Rally Stavanger SS1-circuit for GPL. Track length is 903 meters in all asphalt paving street way, parking and back street. The first rally was in the year 2000 and later every year. There are nine SS’s and this popular SS1 circuit consisting has near four laps, and reprise in the SS5 and the finale SS9 heat. The press reporting 10-20.000 spectators and most of them near this circuit. The area is a well-known trade centre in the region.
This very short and narrow rally track is made for test racing the marvellous GPL cars. Ideal for hot lapping or GPL warming and easy to imagine, if you spoiling a lap, it’s easy to run a new. You can still make a full GP if you want.

Specially for this track:
=========================
*One of the narrowest GPL track ever.
*Driving beside concrete blocs and flower boxes.
*Driving on the sidewalk and diagonal down of it.
*Close to the buildings walls.
*Start line beside the race trace.

Other features:
===============
*Real modelling of camber and very accurate layout, the divagation depends most of the simplifying for the track sections.
*69-mod specific files included (Pbf and track.ini).
*Default setups for the 67- and 69-mod (65-mod setups you must download and copy to your folder).
*Original Crowd and Announce sounds from the rally 2007.

:cap:  More information here: Attached File  Rstavs1_info.pdf   381.36K   466 downloads

Note: My first track Lura 2004 (real roads) is identical in the T1-area. Three years later there’s some minor alteration of the asphalt and buildings. The year 2005 they repaved all of the streets in this area, and the sharp curbstones are now lower.

Minor layout changes are done at the parking areas over the years and this is the 2006 version. The graphics are based on the photos of 2007. The 2007 layout is near impossible to make because of an added concrete blocks chicane before the start line and two containers beside the back street chicane. It’s difficult enough to model the track without these removable objects. The GPL concept itself is not constructed for narrow tracks like this one, and to make it was not problem-free. Some minor bugs are hidden as good as I can do (bumps outside of the normal race line).

Credits:
========
Track creating: Bjørn L Finnestad

Special thanks to;
-Esben Tipple for common survey, promote the project, demo replays and the default 67-setups.
-Papyrus and all people who made the tools and the guides.
-Racesimcentral and all the GPL Community.
-SimRacing Mirror Zone to host my track.
-Bernd Nowak for the new GPLPS track installler.

Copyright / Permissions:
These files may not be sold or used for profit. No conversions of this track for GPL are carried out unless prior permission is given.
You can only host the files for download with my explicit permission, but you are free to make links to the page.
You are permitted to use my textures and 3dos for other tracks, except the peoples, as long as credit is given and the track is distributed for free. See the credits for details.
The rally has the website www.rally.no\stavanger where a lot of information can be found. The organizers is not contacted because it’s just a simulation of the public circuit as is for free by free track creating tools and only for hobby use for my friends in the GPL community.

Disclaimer
The contained files are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. This is not a Papyrus/Sierra product.

Installation
============
To install, unzip the contents of "rstavs1_v1.zip" into a temporary folder and run the "gpltrackinstallrstavs1v1.0.exe".
The files "rec69.ini" , "track69.ini" and "rstavs1.jpg" will also be installed into the "rstavs1" track folder.

If your screen resolution is 1280x1024 pixels or more, the high-resolution textures are recommended. Download "rstavs1_hires1024textures" , unzip the file and extract to the rstavs1 folder. If your system load is too heavy, delete some or all this mip-files. Remember to backup. The hi-res horizon resolutions are useful in most of the replay camera-views.

Thanks for reading this. Enjoy the drive!

Bjørn L Finnestad 11.11.2007

:cap:  Here is the track: Attached File  rstavs1_v1.zip   15.17MB   1793 downloads

:cap:  Hi-res textures: Attached File  rstavs1_hires1024textures.zip   19.23MB   1074 downloads

:cap:  Demo replays 67-mod E Tipple:

Attached File  ET_Ferrari_stav01.rpy   201.06K   217 downloads
Attached File  amazing_rally_stavanger_tlast.rpy   32.72K   155 downloads

:cap:  Setups for 65-mod:

Attached File  65_setups_rstavs1.rar   1.8K   260 downloads

:cap:  EDIT: More replays and a onboard video at post #10
Bjørn

Edited by Simbear, Nov 22 2007 - 05:07 PM.

#2 Stunter71121

Stunter71121

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted Nov 11 2007 - 05:21 AM

Thanks, screenshots look great. :thumbup:

#3 ACHIM KRAFT

ACHIM KRAFT

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends (some mods only)
    MODS:1965/1969EXTRA/TC-2/1965-Night

Posted Nov 11 2007 - 07:48 AM

Hi Simbear !

Many Thanks for the new track.  :clap2:

I will test it on my "old" Voodoo5500 system and report later.

Greetings

Achim

P.S.: Before installing i will check all files with WINMIP2 for running on my old system.

#4 sergioloro

sergioloro

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 311 posts

Posted Nov 11 2007 - 09:54 AM

thank you very much for so such nice track!!!
great work!!

#5 pirenzo

pirenzo

TwoPedalsOneFoot

• Staff Crew
  • 2,091 posts
  • Interests:GPL (of course), rock and progressive/experimental rock.
    Enjoy many motorsports as well as football and a passing interest in a dozen other sports as well.

Posted Nov 11 2007 - 11:31 AM

Thanks Simbear :)

#6 stilltickin

stilltickin

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Nov 11 2007 - 02:35 PM

Thanks so much, Simbear.  Looking forward to driving it. :)

Aly

#7 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,407 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Life

Posted Nov 11 2007 - 03:57 PM

And a big Thanks from me to Simbear.   :thumbup:

#8 Dark - guest

Dark - guest
  • Guests

Posted Nov 11 2007 - 05:44 PM

This is one hell of a good track Bjorn, thank you!  :thumbup: I'm a fan of the tight and twisty tracks like Monaco, but none are as tight and twisty as this  :shock: This is certainly the place to practice accuracy  :clap2:

#9 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,936 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Nov 12 2007 - 05:22 AM

Thanks a lot simbear for this hell of a cool track! :thumbup:

#10 Simbear

Simbear

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted Nov 21 2007 - 04:55 PM

Good to hear, thanks you all for the comments!  :)
Thanks again to the SimRacing Mirror Zone for to host my track.  :thumbup:

View PostACHIM KRAFT, on Nov 11 2007, 02:48 PM, said:

P.S.: Before installing i will check all files with WINMIP2 for running on my old system.
The textures need some preparations for the Voodoo vga-systems.

Onboard laps in a rally car. Well, you have done that in GPL too?   :shock: (The details about the flower box gate, see –info.pdf.)
http://www.botnan.no...nger_06_SS5.wmv (rightclick and save as)

:oops: Here are more demo replays:

ET Cooper 32:849 Attached File  ET_Cooper_stav01.rpy   131.86K   62 downloads
BLF 65-Lotus 33:774 [deleted]
BLF 65-Brabham BT11 33:385 Attached File  rstavs1_BLF_65B11_T7_11_22_33_38.rpy   96.61K   64 downloads
BLF 69-Matra 30:778 Attached File  rstavs1_BLF_69Mat_T007_11_13_30_78.rpy   105.81K   64 downloads

Bjørn L Finnestad  :)

Edited by Simbear, Nov 22 2007 - 05:04 PM.

#11 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted Nov 29 2007 - 11:07 PM

I've been racing it for a few days, it's a brilliant little track. Superb use of textures and, beside the usual suspension of disbelief, also gives you a real sense of time and place, of "being somewhere".

In this case, it really has the atmosphere of racing on a contemporary industrial estate - like some old tracks give off the vibe of driving on track in the sixties.  Here the surroundings actually look like their real-world counterparts, too. So a big :punk: and :rockon: to that!  Like Falkenberg, to me it's already one of the 'Little Northern Classics' and one of my new favorites.  :thumbup:

That said tho, in the spirit of constructive criticism I do have to say the track has one major flaw: there are some serious modeling errors. Several objects beside the track 'stick out' a bit too much, causing you to hit something invisible! And this happens quite a lot - I've had many a good laptime ruined because of this, despite not making a mistake and taking the corner exactly right.

It's mainly in the first chicane on the right wall/corner and in the little chicanes before the 'flowerpot corner'. I've attached a few replays of things going terribly wrong to clarify the issue   :cap: Sometimes it caught me out so bad, I've actually been wondering with corner is 'wronger': the first chicane at the start/finish line at Stavanger or the chicane at Monaco  ;)  :oops:

My gut feeling is that this is not due to errors in Bjorn's modeling though. I think it's *probably* caused by inaccuracies in GPL's object modeling routines. It's in some of GPL's default tracks, too.

That said, if this were fixed I'd be completely happy with the track since it's the only point I found less than enjoyable  ;)  (Well, that and the road being about a mile too narrow of course.  :P )   Thanks Bjorn, no matter what it's still a darn nice little track and I'll still be driving it from time to time!

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -32)

PS. Beside the replays I also attached a placemarker for the track in Google Earth. Fun to look around - maybe some locals or other Norwiggyans can tell us what that big (racing?) oval is, just north of the track site.

Attached Files

Edited by Rudy Dingemans, Nov 29 2007 - 11:14 PM.

#12 Simbear

Simbear

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted Dec 21 2007 - 06:36 PM

View PostRudy Dingemans, on Nov 30 2007, 06:07 AM, said:

I think it's *probably* caused by inaccuracies in GPL's object modeling routines.
Yes it is. If somebody knows the solution, I’m very grateful for that. I’m afraid there is no and in the meantime don’t drive too near this curb stones :thumbup:

:cap:  Improved BRM setup by ET: http://forum.racesim...mp;postcount=40
(From the Norwegian forum thread NGPLS: http://forum.racesim...d.php?t=288099)

Bjørn L Finnestad  :wave:

#13 Simbear

Simbear

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted Jan 24 2008 - 04:25 PM

:oops:  Minor fix for rstavs1 now ready for download.

This updates the track to version 1a.

This experimental track layout is encumbered with a mismatch between the graphics (3do) and the physics (trk) as small collision spices from the inner corner curbs. In the first release I corrected the graphics some errors an inch or something in the hairpin, but that was not enough. Now I used the new 66-mod for testing and found more errors than I was able to in the first stage. I used not enough time for that then.  :huh:
More markers and concrete blocs are added to solve it. The curb graphics is adjusted a bit in the hairpin right-left. This is not easy to figure out and is a “try and pray” progress…
:)  The physics is not affected; it’s now only easier to see how near you can put the wheel.  :)

This error makes the track theoretical a litle bit more narrow than the real. It compensate for the drains in the parking area, where the real track has a little bit harder or more detailed bumps. As long as we drive far faster than the real rally cars, it’s no point to make the track easier than the real.

I hope this is much better and please report if something still should need a fix. I’m grateful for the feedbacks.  :thumbup:

The update includes:

• Collision error fix
• Dedicated default 66-setups included (just leave “default” to use them)
• 66-mod specific program covers and news pictures added (my own temporary).
• Added some missing lights
• Groove fix
• Horizon, a little realism error fix
• Sound, more sources
• Ford building minor fix
• Mips fix and some theoretical fixes of the mip mapping type (nearly not visible)

:cap:  Download Attached File  rstavs1_v1a_update.zip   2.02MB   204 downloadsextract and copy to the track folder rstavs1.

:cap:  Here is the hi-res 1024 horizon fix (one hi-res file): Attached File  rstavs1_horiz8_hires_v1a_update.zip   561.92K   157 downloads

Bjørn L Finnestad 24.01.2008

#14 Alter

Jochen Rindt

• Supporter
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Nov 04 2013 - 10:52 AM

Interesting Replay :idunno:

Attached Files

• Attached File  dive.rpy   185.99K   20 downloads