Lasse Albrecht

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:football, F1, motorsports in general
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 28 2021 - 04:52 PM

Hey all you GPLers out there,

we are approaching the end of 2021, time for a World Masters event, isn't it? Well, some of you probably thought the same at the end of last year/beginning of this year, however it just didn't happen... Looking back at the 2020 event thread, there were not that many replies, so possibly the event fell under the radar for many drivers?

This is why I am opening this preliminary thread out of the blue, to raise awareness long in advance before the event (which I suppose would be held somewhen around New Year's Eve?) and maybe get the organization/invites going (out) early to gather the best possible grid of GPL drivers for this event.

So this is not supposed to be an attempt at organizing the full event myself with the help of others, I am just curious to see whether the general interest is there and whether eligible (top 30) drivers have got time in the aforementioned time period.

So feel free to express your willingness to participate/clarify your problems with finding the time! If you're interested, perhaps also include suggestions for the event itself, like possible dates, the track, quali and race length, rules and so on. Maybe this way we can get this project rolling to finish this GPL year off properly!

Edited by lalb2001, Dec 10 2021 - 07:00 AM.

#2 entdgc

entdgc

David Cheshire

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Porsche, HiFi, GPL, Walking, Gardening, DIY

Posted Nov 29 2021 - 10:03 AM

Well I would not qualify as a master but I would be honoured to be allowed to just watch such an event!

#3 jonny'o

jonny'o

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Interests:GPL,carsets and tracks

Posted Nov 29 2021 - 02:45 PM

R4E tried to get together in the last year, but it didn't have enough adhesion. I think the biggest problem is the stifled league calendar. You can't even find a weekend where there's no running.
  In my opinion, the conversation needs to be with the administrators of each league, or we will have a big and useless discussion.

#4 lalb2001

lalb2001

Lasse Albrecht

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted Nov 29 2021 - 03:28 PM

David, I had a quick look through the 2019 event thread and it was already discussed there, I don't know if we can have someone host the event who could also stream from the server clients view, but it could be the case that some drivers stream from their perspective, depends on who takes part in the event.

Jonny, I think this is the exact reason that the event is held at this time of the year, right in the break phase of all GPL leagues. So I think league schedules should not be getting in the way of this event. At the end of 2019 the World Masters were hosted on the 22nd of ecember on a Saturday, surely all league seasons were over by then.

Can somebody point me to the ranking for the entire year on GPL Weekly? I can only find the rankings for each month. Jani, is that page still around? Just asking because you moved the page to a new server some time ago. Thanks for posting on Twitter btw. ;)

Edited by lalb2001, Nov 29 2021 - 03:28 PM.

#5 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 3,184 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 29 2021 - 06:03 PM

It would be nice to make this event happen.

Here are the old topics:

Gpl World Masters - 2020 - Let's Go !
http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=13864

Gpl World Masters - 2019 - Road To...
http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=13061

Gpl World Ranking [2019]
http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=12749

If you should be short on a server to host an event (36 FPS / 60 FPS) you could use the GPLRACER server.

It is not possible to live stream a race from the GPLRACER mini server.
But it is possible for everyone to create a race video of a server replay (36 FPS / 60 FPS) by using the GPL Replaydirector savedReplays patch by by Olaf Lehmann.

#6 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,474 posts
  • Interests:graphic design, games, languages

Posted Nov 30 2021 - 12:49 AM

View Postlalb2001, on Nov 29 2021 - 03:28 PM, said:

Can somebody point me to the ranking for the entire year on GPL Weekly? I can only find the rankings for each month. Jani, is that page still around? Just asking because you moved the page to a new server some time ago. Thanks for posting on Twitter btw. ;)

No full year ranking on Weekly, but I can make a query for this case.

Papyrus Trophy contains (nearly) all Papyrus events this year, that might help.
http://www.formulado...kly/?p:papyrus/
(takes some time to load)

#7 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Nov 30 2021 - 04:35 AM

I am interested in such an event. I have great memories from the 2019 Monza race, organized by Rookie. But already back then it was hard to get it done, and I had to reach out to many drivers as well.

#8 Leo Menegucci

Leo Menegucci

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted Nov 30 2021 - 01:04 PM

I'm interested

#9 lalb2001

lalb2001

Lasse Albrecht

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted Nov 30 2021 - 04:40 PM

View Postfajanko, on Nov 30 2021 - 12:49 AM, said:

No full year ranking on Weekly, but I can make a query for this case.

Would be very handy to have, so that from there on I can start going through the list and contact drivers. :)

@everyone interested: what day of the week would you prefer for the event?

Edited by lalb2001, Nov 30 2021 - 04:43 PM.

#10 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,474 posts

Posted Dec 01 2021 - 02:33 AM

We miss a few reports, but here's the ranking based on 2021 events.

Attached Files

#11 lalb2001

lalb2001

Lasse Albrecht

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted Dec 01 2021 - 08:40 AM

I manage to recognize most drivers names, in some cases though the resolution is too fuzzy. But thanks, that is already very helpful!

#12 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,474 posts

Posted Dec 01 2021 - 09:39 AM

View Postlalb2001, on Dec 01 2021 - 08:40 AM, said:

I manage to recognize most drivers names, in some cases though the resolution is too fuzzy. But thanks, that is already very helpful!

Hm, I see it was resized during upload... Here's the hi-res version.
https://ibb.co/99YBHdR

#13 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 693 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, chess, classical music(piano concetos), computers, firearms, modern military history, motor racing, racing sims.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Dec 01 2021 - 11:49 AM

And then, of course, this ranking includes those who only compete against others they know they can beat hands down on a regular basis and won't dare go up against the real 'Top Guns'.  The phrase, 'Big fish in a small pond' comes to mind.

#14 jonny'o

jonny'o

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted Dec 01 2021 - 12:12 PM

I see that an event has to be opened, if you make a list like this one, and open registration within a date. If we have 5 servers, use this list and make 5 races, a big party!

#15 lalb2001

lalb2001

Lasse Albrecht

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted Dec 01 2021 - 03:02 PM

Wow, that could actually be an idea... Would require a lot of inviting though...

#16 jonny'o

jonny'o

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted Dec 01 2021 - 07:08 PM

A little different, you first need to find a date for the event, with all league admins aware of this.
  With a date, an announcement is made right here on the SRMZ, any driver can apply right here, or a league manager leaves a list of drivers who actually intend to race.
with the end of the registration period , we will know how many servers we will have , and with the support of the leagues making the servers available .
  And etc
oh yes , can we use rank order to distribute the servers , i imagine we would have 6 or 7 ?

#17 D_J

D_J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Dec 02 2021 - 03:35 AM

We tried to put together a similar event in 2019. With a pre qualifying server open for all and the 18 fastest being qualified for the main event in december. 3 races of 1 hour plus Q. Livestream on youtube and the whole nine yards. I think the only interested driver was Robert.

I very much in favor of events like these but it seems very hard to get off the ground.

#18 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 3,184 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 02 2021 - 04:53 AM

I would do it like this (this is just a quick brainstorming):
  • set a date (or dates if you need/want to do more races), means also think about a concept how you want to run this championship, how many races, points, ... -> do not forget to think of the different time zones, very few people will want to drive at 4 a.m.
  • contact the league admins / server admins if you can use the servers
  • with the nunmber of servers available (on the dates) you then know how many drivers will be able to race (19 drivers per server, I think some server (UKGPL?) can even take 20 drivers)
  • contact each driver if he wants to participate (via the league admins, via SRMZ private messages, via email, via whatever) -> this is the main challenge
  • maybe set a deadline when you need to know if the grids are final, but you might get just in time feedback, so difficult to set a deadline
  • if someone does not want to race, or you if you do not get any feedback, you can ask drivers of the list further down to fill the empty slots
  • anything I have forgotten now :D

Edited by Stefan Roess, Dec 03 2021 - 03:39 AM.

#19 lalb2001

lalb2001

Lasse Albrecht

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted Dec 02 2021 - 09:49 PM

Stefan, I think the UKGPL servers are hosted on Linux, and there seems to be a bug with Linux that the host driver disappears from the race list on iGor while in reality he still takes up a slot, so 20 driver races remain impossible unless the host drives.
About your idea of making this a championship, Rookie already tried to make it happen, but the variety between drivers' schedules simply seems to be too high. I think if this event turns out to be an absolute success, we could talk about more, but my feeling tells me that for the moment we should only plan one (big) event.

Jonny, in general I think it would be a great idea to have as many servers as we have interested drivers. In principle, I also agree with the idea of going by the rank order to form the grid(s).
The problem with that however is that not all drivers have a rank that represents their pace properly. I know a lot of drivers from their shared time on the track and can estimate their respective pace, but I think that a subjective estimation taken by myself would not be a fair approach.
One way I can think of to solve this would be to have drivers send in their PB's several weeks in advance until a certain deadline. This way everyone would get a fair chance, and it also opens up the opportunity for literally everyone, even those who have not raced recently and are not on the list, to qualify and commit to this event, and as a result we could get the fastest grid possible. A nice side effect would be that the competitiveness of the event could increase as drivers that really want to qualify for the highest split would spend more time on practice, and more practice naturally makes faster.
This way we would also avoid to make drivers have to commit to multiple dates. Finding one date which most drivers can commit to is already difficult enough, extending the event to have qualification sessions at set dates that determine which split each driver ranks in would most likely result in less attendance. Give everyone multiple weeks of time and let them invest as much practice as they want and can.
Nonetheless, it remains to be seen how many drivers are interested in an event with this format.

To be able to start a qualification period, a choice has to be made about mod and track.
About mods, I very much root for the original 67s, simple reason being is that we have all driven them at some point. And for those who have only driven mods in recent times, having a qualification period means there should be enough time to gain back the feeling for the 67s.
About tracks, this is a difficult choice. Monza made for a very good event last time, and I consider the argument about the estimated finishing rate to be significant, but maybe we should give other tracks (which can provide great racing with the 67s) a chance. Feel free to leave suggestions in this thread.

#20 D_J

D_J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Dec 03 2021 - 12:06 AM

This was what we set up in 2019.

Open pre qualifying server with times registered and shown to all on our league site (F1legends style) , 18 fastest at deadline are qualified for the main event. Same chassi in prequal so equal opportunity for all to qualify. Plain 60 fps and 67 mod. 3 races with equal amount of chassi points for all drivers to use as they please in said races. One evening (saturday) of the best and fastest gpl drivers battling it out with a livestream on top.

Interest was pretty close to zero.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links