• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 23 2020 - 10:04 PM

after last race of normal 67mod all was fine, i've done nothing with the server.

tonite i was going to host for GPLF2 mod
got everything lined up (mod change in HOST setup etc) and pressed GO

the server shows the
GPL splash... F2 splash....and then BRIEFLY the screen to connect .. the place where you'd enter the IP if you wanted to JOIN but then Back to Desktop (CTD)

i had similar issues testing the 66 and 71 canAm mods , the 65 mod and the 69mod
going back to the 67 mod, it was ok!

back to F2.. CTD

i just resorted to a new install of GPLF2.. but still got CTD - so now i'm at a loss

-----------------------------
same result (CTD) if i try to go to Training or Single race - CTD on all but 67 and for some reason 65mod
AV is not a factor
i also tried deleting the mod specific exe's.. and letting GEM+ rebuild.
this one really has me and a couple other GPL'ers stumped.

who will come up with the solution?

#2 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, MotoGP

let's have a free choice
    Linux

Posted Nov 24 2020 - 02:48 AM

OS ?

#3 lalb2001

lalb2001

Jo Bonnier

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:GPL, football, F1, motorsports in general

Posted Nov 24 2020 - 08:25 AM

Win10

#4 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Nov 24 2020 - 11:00 AM

server is winXP

#5 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted Nov 24 2020 - 11:51 AM

Does the new F2 install run OK if you start it from the gplcf2.exe ?

Paul

#6 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 560 posts

Posted Nov 24 2020 - 02:07 PM

Paul... no.
the ONLY mod's that load in single player (race or training) are the 67 and  65 ...
all the others now give me CTD

even after a reinstall of the F2
i'm thinking (not knowing) back in OLD days, remember "batch" file in DOS?  when you copied a file (exe?)
the batch.exe would put it somewhere with a different name, and then load a replacement file (not sure if all that is correct or clear)
the point is, when GEM replaces the 67 mod, its not deleted - right? it is replaced (f2?)
so i'm thinking MAYBE the c67exe END line got messed up (?)  even tho it runs ok, loads/launches in igor... it now can't be changed to the gplcF2 exe... its broken at the 'end' of its 'batch' process.

does that make sense?
so i'm thinking i'll delete the gplc67exe...  my concern is oAo is PRIMARY 67..and if i delete that exe and it wasn't the problem, then maybe i've also just killed the ability to host  67s...

#7 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 560 posts

Posted Nov 24 2020 - 04:24 PM

ooooo MMmy Goodnnessss... i fixed it!  with HUGE thanks to MichiK.. and Bob (Guru) Simpson for patience and suggestions on what to try / look for....
ok.. the problem in 25 words or less.... my server for oAo had nothing changed, but on switching to the F2 mod and changing the season, nothing worked -
i couldn't load any mod in direct mode (launching from the GPL folder the specific exe file)   worse i couldn't launch from iGor (WORSE, there's a league asking to borrow server use that i was letting down)

the number of tracks were listed in the season ini .... they were all installed ... so what else?

i resorted to reinstalling the F2 mod.. twice
i tried copying over my F2exe... then my c67exe.. and finally my GPL.exe... all giving the same (FAIL) result  ~

so in contact w/ Michi, the suggestion was down to a complete reinstall of EVERYTHING (and i mean everything) imagine that! on a sys running Xp -(SLOW)
oh.. i don't want to do that ... so i don't know, i started looking around my backup HD's... i even went to an external HD that keeps .. hell, i don't know - buncha old stuff..and i see a program (Bernd Nowak creation) called "GPLinspect".. i'd never used it. didn't know what it did or was for.... what have i got to lose?
double clicked on the file
guess what?  3 RED LINES indicating my 67season ini file was WRONG FORMAT!    :o   i knew what that meant !
and in checking found indeed, the file was saved as UTF-8... when it should be - no MUST be in ANSI .....

changed that ONE line.. 4 letters..... from UTF-8 to ANSI and  ~ voila ~

mark it down folks.. again.. the SIMPLEST of things - all i can say is don't give up. don't reinstall right away.. look around - maybe this could be added to Bob Simpson's FAQ page :)

#8 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, chess, classical music(piano concetos), computers, firearms, modern military history, motor racing, racing sims.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Nov 24 2020 - 08:10 PM

:up:

#9 paul_v

paul_v

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:grand prix legends and mods

Posted Nov 25 2020 - 05:19 AM

So pleased alls fixed Bo.

Great idea to get the app put somewhere.

Nice one Berndt

#10 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted Nov 25 2020 - 07:48 AM

Glad you sorted it Bo.

Every couple of months I compress my complete GPL folder and save it as a backup. Much easier than reinstalling everything if you get a problem.

Paul

#11 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• Supporter
  • 2,478 posts

Posted Nov 25 2020 - 12:07 PM

View PostBo Bruce, on Nov 24 2020 - 04:24 PM, said:

mark it down folks.. again.. the SIMPLEST of things - all i can say is don't give up. don't reinstall right away.. look around - maybe this could be added to Bob Simpson's FAQ page :)

This has been in the FAQ for a long time... :)  Sorry that I didn't remember it when you asked me earlier.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Nov 25 2020 - 12:15 PM.

#12 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• Supporter
  • 2,478 posts

Posted Nov 25 2020 - 12:14 PM

View PostBo Bruce, on Nov 24 2020 - 04:24 PM, said:

double clicked on the (gplinspector) file
guess what?  3 RED LINES indicating my 67season ini file was WRONG FORMAT! :o   i knew what that meant !
and in checking found indeed, the file was saved as UTF-8... when it should be - no MUST be in ANSI .....

This is something that I don’t understand. To modify the ini files, I used to use notepad.exe found in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories and, yes, ANSI had to be used when saving or GPL was very unhappy.

I now use Notepad++ a free download from https://notepad-plus....org/downloads/  

Under Encoding, there is no option of ANSI and it saves it as UTF-8 with no problems.

And when I run gplinspector, it says that the 67season.ini format is OK with the UTF-8 encoding from Notepad++.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Nov 25 2020 - 12:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links