Reco21

Jacky Ickx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 12 2020 - 12:41 PM

It's a great possibility, same for Mercedes. They're both considering using the staff that would be left out for other categories of motorsport.

#3 Royale

Royale

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 640 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it.

Posted Jul 13 2020 - 04:10 AM

How about Ferrari just focus on F1 first ? Show me consistent sharp end performance in F1 and then I'll cheer like crazy for a run at Indy.

#4 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted Jul 13 2020 - 07:17 AM

Agree with Bob.
Ferrari quite often produce the fastest most beautiful cars only to be let down by poor management which will probably not change until they move the team back to the F1..... oh sorry I meant UK ;)

Regarding Indy.
Although Indy can be good to watch it is not technically advanced which has always been the trade mark of F1,  Other than air time, what is the point of Ferrari or any major manufacturer entering Indy when they have to use someone else's chassis and engine. You could not really call it a Ferrari or Mercedes.

Paul

#5 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted Jul 13 2020 - 07:35 AM

its a completely bogus  news ,Indycar have no intention to quit  the standard spec  frame rule  and they are very right to do so , thats why theres actually some racing , and for the engine they are open to a third provider but whatever the third motorist is  , ferrari , mercedes , or cosworth the engine will be a spec very stantardize  engine similar to the other two,....  so everything that ferrari and mercedes dont want to have in F1 , they more likely to go in WEC  if they want to spend there  zillions of dollars , if only the F1 could be more like the indycar

#6 Reco21

Reco21

Jacky Ickx

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends

Posted Jul 13 2020 - 08:00 AM

I think they are not taking into account that the next F1 regulation is going to cause a big budget reduction for the biggest teams like Ferrari and Mercedes. Which means that a lot of the people who work for the big manufacturers will lose their jobs, the idea of Ferrari and Mercedes is to avoid those layoffs and to make a team with them in another category of motor sport.

#7 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 13 2020 - 08:21 AM

I don't want to see Indycar follow F1 down the dead end of hybrid technology.  Stick with internal combustion or go completely electric, anything in between is a waste of time.  I doubt Ferrari will enter Indycar simply because the latter is even closer to being a spec racer series than F1;  can you see Ferrari buying an Indycar chassis and engine then slapping a Ferrari logo on it.  (Just watched the Elkhart Lake race.  Another square foot of material and they will have enclosed cockpits;  a couple more square feet and they will have front fenders.  Then they can merge with ALMS because nothing "open wheel" will remain.)

Speaking of spec racers, it took NASCARE til the 21st century to discover fuel injection and finally abandon carburetors, now they may be going to six speed gearboxes (why;  those V8s have enough torque that four gears are quite adequate ...unless this presages new, lower torque, engines), and talking of IRS.  
https://www.foxnews....next-generation
(If they want to improve their racing, eliminate the nanny rules, the idiotic chase system, and "stages".)

#8 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted Jul 13 2020 - 08:38 AM

spec doesnt mean dumb  down ,we are  in 2020 , these days it would be easy to produce a 3.5 liters v10 athmo , with 14-15000 rpm  limitation with a maximum of standard parts  like it was with  the 2.4 liters v8 ten years ago . an engine who would produce a 1000hp or so  5-6  engines per season limit  , and that  for   5 -10 millions dollars a years  , the same goes for the frame gearbox  aero pack brake ect . a  team would be able to compete in f1 for far less then 100 millions and be competitive , and then we will have 24 cars at the start of the races and some real racing

Edited by KARTM, Jul 13 2020 - 08:46 AM.

#9 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 13 2020 - 01:23 PM

"Spec racer" has nothing to do with dumbing down;  it is  any series in which the rules and regulations have become so draconian, so nit-picking, that every team essentially builds the same car.  

F1 engines in '67 - three litre, some teams used a V8, some used a V12, one used an H16;  F1 engines today - everyone builds a 1.6 litre V6.
Indycar thirty years ago - four chassis, four engines, two tires;  "Indycar" today - one chassis, two engines, one tire.

NASCARE thirty years ago - Rusty Wallace goes from driving a Pontiac to driving a Ford, did they build a new race car?  No, they unbolted one hand made, template designed, body and bolted on a different hand made, template designed, body.  By that logic I can replace the body on an old VW beetle with a fiberfab F40 replica and claim I'm now driving a Ferrari.  (Not to mention every cup car for over forty years now has been powered by, essentially, a Ford 351 Cleveland engine, Ford T-10 gearbox, and Ford 9 bolt rear end;  all hand made now to current specs, but definitely no Chevy or Pontiac or Toyota or ... engines.)

This is not a castigation of spec racer series per se.  In SCCA the Spec Racer Ford series is one of the most popular (and fun), in professional racing the IROC series was great (just needed more races).  But these series were designed from the start as spec racers.  I decry series that started with quite a variety of cars and engines and through increasing regulation have become virtually spec racers.

And when such regulations become so nit-picky that they, rather than performance, decide a championship, things have gone too far.  (Mark Martin was once docked fifty points for a carburetor gasket being 2mm too thick, he lost the championship that year by about thirty points.)

Arguments that "every team builds their own car/engine"  are specious.  If I draw up blueprints for a bookcase, specifying in great detail what wood to use, what hinges will be used on the doors, what screws will be used for assembly, etc., and take those blueprints to a dozen different cabinet shops I will get a dozen identical bookcases, differing only in the tiniest detail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links