- - - - -

I'm Back... After A Gap Of Over Ten Years.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tobodestroyer2020

Tobodestroyer2020

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:GPL, French Horns, Cycling
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 17 2020 - 05:40 AM

Hi All,

I'm back. I used to drive on VROC at 2pm GMT every Saturday with the likes of Alison Hine and other legends of GPL. That all seems an awfully long time ago now. I had a Pentium I processor, Voodoo2 GFX card and a Saitek steering wheel all running at 800 x 600. I was in heaven. I also raced in an FD league - Glen Field or something; anyone else remember that? It all seems a bit hazy...

I did upgrade things about ten years ago to a PC with Windows 7, 4GBRam, Nvidia8800GT, Logitech G27 wheel & shifter with Fanatec Clubsport Pedals: All Perfect for GPL but packed away in a box in the attic.

But now I've had time to unpack the boxes, build a dedicated desk in the attic, add power to the system, drill holes in the desk to hide all cables and re-load GPL. It's all just as I left it and works brilliantly. :) A PC dedicated to GPL - just turn it on and it works.

I was always obsessed with lap-times but now I'm more interested in the historical aspect and racing the AI at tracks which no longer exist in real life.(I have to stay off-line as the PC grinds to a halt if I try to use the internet.) So, what do you recommend in terms of setting my installation up again? 60FPS or 36FPS? Should I use GPL GLANCE? How do pit-stops work, I don't remember ever having had those available before? Which other utilities have I missed out on and which do you recommend? What FFB settings should I be using for the most REALISITIC experience? At the moment it all feels too light, a bit like driving a modern car with power steering.

So, any advice gratefully received - I'm really looking forward to getting back behind the wheel.

Pete (aka Tobodestroyer)
I had to change my username as I couldn't remember how to log into my old account on here. So, I'm now Tobodestroyer2020.

#2 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,802 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Apr 17 2020 - 05:55 AM

Hi Pete. Don't know you and wasn't around in the early days. But welcome back 😁👍

Some links you may or may not know 🤔 To get you started:

http://www.gpllinks.org/

http://www.gplworld....tallation-guide

http://gpltd.bcsims.com/

Chow for now and enjoy 😁

TP: 🏁

#3 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Apr 17 2020 - 05:57 AM

For racing against the AI, you definitely have to stick to 36 FPS.

#4 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,179 posts
  • Interests:graphic design

Posted Apr 17 2020 - 06:57 AM

View PostTobodestroyer2020, on Apr 17 2020 - 05:40 AM, said:

...Which other utilities have I missed out on and which do you recommend? ...

Welcome back, Pete!

Check Milestones page on Weekly to see what happened in the past years :) Most of the 'stones' have links to release topics with downloads and manuals.
http://freeleo.hu/we.../?p:milestones/

Have fun!

#5 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,068 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Apr 17 2020 - 08:32 AM

View PostTobodestroyer2020, on Apr 17 2020 - 05:40 AM, said:

I was always obsessed with lap-times but now I'm more interested in the historical aspect and racing the AI at tracks which no longer exist in real life.(I have to stay off-line as the PC grinds to a halt if I try to use the internet.) So, what do you recommend in terms of setting my installation up again? 60FPS or 36FPS? Should I use GPL GLANCE? How do pit-stops work, I don't remember ever having had those available before? Which other utilities have I missed out on and which do you recommend? What FFB settings should I be using for the most REALISITIC experience? At the moment it all feels too light, a bit like driving a modern car with power steering.

Given how cheap gigabytes of storage are these days I can't conceive why you wouldn't want everything available. With GEM as a front end all the ini editing of the past is done away and changing mods is a click.

The only issue with 60fps is that the AI can't handle it and is near unusable with it. If you are only interested in hotlapping than its good, online too. But for racing the AI you still want 36fps.

GPL Glance is a matter of taste, personally I found it too distracting when countersteering, but trying it didn't hurt.

Pit stops, you got two options either Lees pitstop patch or Olafs dirtgear patch. Both come with a good manual describing the various features and how to use them. Basic operation is to stop at your pitboard and initiate the stop by pressing a button. The most finicky part is stopping at the right place.

GEM is a must, GPL Replay Analyzer, most of Lees patches are good to have too.

Regarding FFB, look for FFB2 or FFB3 patch floating around here somewhere. There should be at least a rudimentary explainer what the settings do along with it. Keep in mind non DF cars would have rather light steering.

#6 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted Apr 17 2020 - 10:04 AM

Tododestroyer!That name is not easily forgotten by those of us who frequent the forums, then and now. Welcome back to this living encyclopedia of motor sport that is GPL!

#7 Tobodestroyer2020

Tobodestroyer2020

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:GPL, French Horns, Cycling

Posted Apr 17 2020 - 12:13 PM

Yes, I was there in the early days - 1998 driving GPL and Colin McRae Rally. It was awesome... I started in 1981 with my ZX81 and then moved to a Commodore 64 playing Pole Position thinking it would be amazing to be able to drive with a real steering wheel and pedals one day. GPL made all of that possible and I simply haven't moved on since. I've looked at driving games/simulators on xBox, PS4 and PC and they leave me cold. The only thing that came close to GPL was GT Legends but that lacked the support and community which holds GPL above all others. It won't work on any modern OS either.

I've tried to introduce others to GPL but they usually say that it's silly and like driving on ice. Basically, it requires practice and they just want an instant fix. However, my son who is now 14 yrs old is mad keen on GPL and has just set out on his GPL career. It won't be long before he has a better GPL Rank than me. GPL is still the ONLY sim worth considering; everything else is just a game. I can still smell Castrol One engine oil when I'm sitting in the cock-pit. Great memories of visiting Silverstone and Mallory Park in the 1970s with my parents.

So, back to GPL, this fab community and perhaps some online racing if I can increase the speed of my PC.

Thanks for your support and assistance. Long live GPL!

Pete

#8 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,802 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Apr 17 2020 - 01:38 PM

Pete have you tried power & glory. Much better than GT legends and more historic.

https://gtlw.000webhostapp.com/

TP:

#9 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,645 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 17 2020 - 03:26 PM

GTLegends works perfect on my Windows 10 64-bit system. :)

Use this:

GT Legends 10th Anniversary PATCH 10.1 - All-in-1 patch for GT Legends
https://www.racedepa...ry-patch.26203/

And:

GT Legends HQ Tracks 10.1
https://www.racedepa...q-tracks.26164/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links