- - - - -

No Force Feedback With Thrustmaster Rgt Clutch Edition.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sammi79

Sammi79

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted Feb 13 2020 - 01:24 PM

Hi there,

I thought I'd start a new thread since there's no help for this wheel.

So after a long time away I thought I'd try it out again. And it's more amazing than ever. I have F1 seasons '65-'69, F2 '67, and Canam '66 & '71 installed all tracks etc. took a couple of days but then I needed to balance bashing my head against the FFB problem, which has been there since this rebirth of GPL. I don't think I've found modding a game quite so easy and successful before, and as of right now I'm looking at a 16.6Gb GPL install ! heh...

Seriously impressive stuff folks.

Gonna note my system here; Win10x64 Home
My rig; Intel I7-7700K~4.2GHz / Nvidia Geforce 1080 8Gb / 32Gb 3200Mhz ram

So no matter what I do I can not get any FFB at all from the game. I have tried;

Latest Drivers (GPL would not recognise the wheel before this)
Fresh install on different drive (after cleaning out old install w/CCleaner)
FFB2 patch on or off
FFB3test patch on or off
Setting core.ini values in Gem+ to zero, non zero, even negative (not allowed but doable) and factors/fractions thereof.
Switching the wheel software between 2/3 and 5 axes. Using clutch on the third pedal works in 5 axis mode.
GPLshift+ Set disable USB something (apparently can restore FFB in some wheels, no idea why) Set to share all GPL axes between controllers.
unplugging every unneccessary USB peripheral.
Testing forces in control panel (test good)
Every possible combination of the above mainly on normal '67F1 setup, but on a couple of the others here and there to be sure. I am pretty methodical so it took a while.

Any ideas appreciated.

#2 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 13 2020 - 01:29 PM

In GEM+ when you click on 'Controls', what are your settings?

Edited by Millennium, Feb 13 2020 - 01:30 PM.

#3 Sammi79

Sammi79

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted Feb 13 2020 - 01:41 PM

Millennium, on Feb 13 2020 - 01:29 PM, said:

In GEM+ when you click on 'Controls', what are your settings?

Well I tried latency and damping from 0 up to 0.05 and 40 respectively, for max force I have tried 0-10000, and negative -100 just to be sure (the TM support suggests many games need a negative max force coefficient) As of right now they are:

Latency 0.025
Damping 0
Max force 100

[edit] forgot to mention, both steering hack and enable force are checked (on)

With and without the FFB patches.

I also just tried 4 different USB ports ><

Edited by Sammi79, Feb 13 2020 - 01:44 PM.

#4 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted Feb 13 2020 - 01:46 PM

Maximum force at 100 is an extremely high value, the lower you go the stronger it gets.

Try something like 320, that's somewhere around the default force I believe.
I use 240 on my Fanatec wheel and that was too strong for when I had a G25.

Edited by Millennium, Feb 13 2020 - 01:47 PM.

#5 Sammi79

Sammi79

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted Feb 13 2020 - 01:51 PM

Thanks Millenium,

I have tried all the numbers. I can not feel the force :(

I can drive ok with the auto center spring, but if I switch to the games force output it's like having the most mega power steering. There is nothing, at any setting. Not even the canned effects.

#6 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,555 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 13 2020 - 02:06 PM

Stupid question. The forces work in other games and also in the Thrusmaster Software program?
I use a Thrusmaster T500 RS wheel.

#7 Sammi79

Sammi79

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted Feb 13 2020 - 02:17 PM

Ahem. I have no other driving games to try.

But yeah the forces test fine in the control panel setup.

#8 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,555 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 13 2020 - 06:25 PM

When you can test the forces fine in the Thrusmaster control panel GPL should also have Feedback.

You mention the core.ini in your 1st post and I persume you checked it already but please check again if FF is really activated in GPL.

Check if ...\GPL\core.ini line

"allow_force_feedback = 1                    ; Use FF if device has it 0 = No *  1 = Yes"

is set to 1.

This thread is about a Momo wheel but maybe the last post of Bob Simpson is worth trying?
http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=12053

#9 Sammi79

Sammi79

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted Feb 14 2020 - 04:49 AM

Thanks Stefan,

I double checked and yes it is definitely set to 1 in Core.ini

And yes I have studied these posts, I have tried various settings in GPLshift+ including the share all axes, disabling everything not to do with my setup etc. Deleting gplC.exe files so Gem+ rebuilds them with the new GPLshift+ settings etc. Nothing and I mean absolutely nothing seems to have any effect. 5 years ago it definitely did work.

Right now the conclusion that is solidifying in my mind is that in 2018 when TM released the current drivers and software for this wheel, they changed something. Particularly in the current documentation it states that 'Many games will need a negative force coefficient set in game', which kinda stumps me as there are no in game FFB settings nor were there ever. The last thing I can rule out is that the wheel itself is damaged internally in some way, or has corrupted firmware (if it has firmware I'm not sure it does it's that old) for that I really do need another sim to test on.

The wheel itself is in pretty good condition, didn't get used intensively etc. It's old (almost as the game)  and I am tempted to buy a new one. Though justifying several hundred spondoolies for a large bit of kit that I will only use for GPL is currently not achievable. not that it has to be justified of course heh...

So as an aside to solving the FFB issue I am looking at a TM TX-base & wheel with the 3 pedals, plus the TH8 gate shifter unit. £470 from Amazon >< anyone else here using anything like that? or should I be looking at a cheaper Logitech G29 - there is a lot of support for that wheel right here. I'm only soft on TM because the kit I have is actually really good - the force is huge for a 15 year old wheel, it has modern drivers and is still suported.

Before that though I think it maybe time to blow £25 on Rfactor 2 - my mates were always trying to get me on that. Should be good for testing the wheel out - I will post any updates with my current conundrum here. [edit] Aha free demo!

Edited by Sammi79, Feb 14 2020 - 04:57 AM.

#10 Sammi79

Sammi79

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted Feb 14 2020 - 05:51 AM

OK well FFB works in the rFactor2 demo - though I'm not sure it's working properly. If I turn the wheel while rolling it immediately pulls in the direction of turn and it gets worse with speed. It doesn't 'feel' right - but it is there.

#11 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,721 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Feb 14 2020 - 07:31 AM

pre-2018 drivers?

Howdy
:D

#12 paul_v

paul_v

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:grand prix legends and mods

Posted Feb 14 2020 - 07:41 AM

Hi Sammy,

Is the pulling problem with wheel due to an in game setting of the FFB, I've had similar on games newer than GPL.

From memory it's an option to reverse feedback or wheel settings.

Might help?.

Paul V.

#13 Sammi79

Sammi79

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted Feb 14 2020 - 08:16 AM

Howdy, John Woods. :)

I just found a 2016 driver for the Thrustmaster RGT Clutch here:
https://drivers.soft...gn=postdl_redir

And now I have FFB in game ! ! ! :yipee2:

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to help me solve this little problem. I really didn't expect so many responses so quickly. It really brings a tear to my eye remembering when I bought my first copy of this game (as a Christmas present for my father) and all the fine memories I have of competing for fastest lap with him. It was his era you see he was a teenager in '67 and Jim Clark was his hero. I was never really inclined to 'get in to' motorsport. I wanted to be a fighter pilot. I did get taken to Silverstone to watch Nigel Mansell win, I was timing laps on a stopwatch, Ayrton Senna ran out of fuel on the last lap so Nigel let him ride on the sidepod back to the pits on his victory lap. I was ~30 yards away behind the fence as they drove by waving to us all. I got into F1 for a while after that. Couldn't be more disinterested in it now sadly.

But I did inherit a love for the drivers, the machines, the engineers - and a fascination with the history of it all. I still have hope that someday someone will make a decent simulation of the golden older eras and Oh boy am I going to drive the pants off that '55 mod.

And who could have imagined that it would spawn a community like like this.

:bowdown2:

You folks really ROCK.

best
Sam.

View Postpaul_v, on Feb 14 2020 - 07:41 AM, said:

Hi Sammy,

Is the pulling problem with wheel due to an in game setting of the FFB, I've had similar on games newer than GPL.

From memory it's an option to reverse feedback or wheel settings.

Might help?.

Paul V.

hi Paul, yes I will certainly try that when I get back to rFactor2 I didn't see a reverse setting but there should be one somewhere.

Cheers!

Sam

#14 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted Feb 14 2020 - 08:25 AM

Yes sounds like reversed ffb, I had that too with some mods in Automobilista.
I just had to set a negative ffb value when I drove them. (So 85 became -85 or something like that)

Edited by Millennium, Feb 14 2020 - 08:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links