Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 22 2020 - 07:06 AM

I have in mind to upgrade my monitor for a triple screen config

how GPL displays with 2560 X 1440 compared with 1920 X 1080 ?

Does someone has tested the two solutions, and seen a difference, NOT regarding the gap on 27" monitors prices ?

Will GEM detect the default monitor resolution of 2560 ?

I suppose it is by an interpolation that the pixels are rendered on such an old game as GPL.

thank you

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jan 22 2020 - 10:10 AM.

#2 GPLaps

GPLaps

GPLaps

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jan 22 2020 - 10:09 AM

I run at 3440x1440 (ultrawide) and everything seems to work really well. The only oddity was having to adjust the pitboard location so it wasn't off screen but I think that was more because of the FOV I was using.

The menus are still in 640 resolution but they fill the center of my screen and once I click 'drive' or fullscreen replay the resolution goes to my 3440x1440.

#3 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,681 posts

Posted Jan 22 2020 - 10:42 AM

so the resolutions available in GPL menu options shows 3440 X 1440 ?

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jan 22 2020 - 10:45 AM.

#4 GPLaps

GPLaps

GPLaps

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted Jan 22 2020 - 11:06 AM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Jan 22 2020 - 10:42 AM, said:

so the resolutions available in GPL menu options shows 3440 X 1440 ?

Yes! I believe I set that as the max res in GEM, but when I click the dropdown in GPL it shows this resolution along with many others to select.

#5 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,681 posts

Posted Jan 22 2020 - 11:28 AM

Thks Jake

Does the rendering of GPL show better quality (detail in textures, 3D objects )than with a 1920 X 1080 resolution? Have you tested both resolutions on the same screen.

I suppose going for a 3440 monitor wasn't for GPL in the first place, but more demanding games or applications ?

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jan 22 2020 - 12:50 PM.

#6 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,681 posts

Posted Jan 22 2020 - 12:33 PM

All those questions, because of this : https://www.pcgamer....lution-monitor/

To display  GPL game at such high resolution, does the GFX perform a Nearest Neighbour ( NN)and bicubic scaling for GPL, with a loss in image quality, as explain the review . I just discovered all those pixels treatments upscaling processes and know nothing on this .

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jan 22 2020 - 12:41 PM.

#7 GPLaps

GPLaps

GPLaps

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted Jan 22 2020 - 02:13 PM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Jan 22 2020 - 12:33 PM, said:

All those questions, because of this : https://www.pcgamer....lution-monitor/

To display  GPL game at such high resolution, does the GFX perform a Nearest Neighbour ( NN)and bicubic scaling for GPL, with a loss in image quality, as explain the review . I just discovered all those pixels treatments upscaling processes and know nothing on this .

I can take some screenshots later tonight if you want, any specific mods/tracks? I also have my videos of course which are not going to look anywhere near how good it looks on my screen because of the lossy compression, but I think overall the sim looks great. Never have noticed a visual fidelity loss by moving to a larger screen.

#8 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,681 posts

Posted Jan 22 2020 - 02:25 PM

yes, if you can:  some screenshots at Spa 67 or tracks using Thomas Lachaele textures. I have seen your great videos on YT.

I misunderstood the review because it explains the problem when games are too much demanding, and so gamers using 4K or UHD 3440 / 2560 screens are downsizing the resolution to 1080p to get better fps . It shldn't be the case with GPL / low fps demanding, even with my plan to use triple monitors 27 " at 2560 X 1440.

Before your 3440, I suppose you played GPL on another screen at 1920 .Wld you say the change is clearly superior,or a little better for this game?

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jan 22 2020 - 02:31 PM.

#9 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Jan 22 2020 - 03:03 PM

Triple 27" monitor quad HD (7680x1440) would be sharper than a 5760x1080 setup, especially using 27" monitors compared to 24" monitors most would use. If I had the money for it I'd love to have such setup!

Just make sure you will use the native resolution of your monitor(s) for GPL. The article you write about is basically about playing games at 1080p/1440p on a 4K monitor.

Personally I play at 4800x900, with a low budget/cheap 22/24/22 monitor setup. The sidemonitors run in 16:9, while they are 16:10. But to me it's more important to have the right aspect ratio for my main 1080p monitor. Ironically I can't use the native res of my main, because of the sidemonitors :P

Edited by Robert Fleurke, Jan 22 2020 - 03:06 PM.

#10 GPLaps

GPLaps

GPLaps

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted Jan 22 2020 - 06:48 PM

Here are some screens from an opening lap or so at SPA. Looks b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l to me!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A few more..

Posted Image

Posted Image

https://i.imgur.com/QEnWsxy.jpg

#11 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,681 posts

Posted Jan 23 2020 - 04:56 PM

Great rendering Jake,

Thanks for capturing 3440 X 1440 jpg pics on my small monitor, I have been scrolling a lot to display your shots by scaling at the correct horizontal size around 75 cm corresponding to your 34" Ultra Wide screen.

I have a better idea of the size you get and the pixel definition,even with the compression loss.Enough for GPL !

Your monitor has an IPS , VA or TN slab ?

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jan 24 2020 - 01:49 AM.

#12 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,681 posts

Posted Jan 23 2020 - 05:06 PM

View PostRobert Fleurke, on Jan 22 2020 - 03:03 PM, said:

Triple 27" monitor quad HD (7680x1440) would be sharper than a 5760x1080 setup, especially using 27" monitors compared to 24" monitors most would use. If I had the money for it I'd love to have such setup!

Just make sure you will use the native resolution of your monitor(s) for GPL. The article you write about is basically about playing games at 1080p/1440p on a 4K monitor.

Personally I play at 4800x900, with a low budget/cheap 22/24/22 monitor setup. The sidemonitors run in 16:9, while they are 16:10. But to me it's more important to have the right aspect ratio for my main 1080p monitor. Ironically I can't use the native res of my main, because of the sidemonitors :P

Robert,

thks for your advice.

For the bezels correction settings and the pixel adjustements, I have seen on various forums it is best when possible to have 3 identical monitors.

Even if GPL is in an antipodean world to today games, I hope 7660 X 1440 Pixels to display, won't be too much  for the GTX 1660 Ti.

Have been wandering here and there on hardware/ games forums, and it seems 1440 and 144Hz won't afraid this videocard, but no user said if they played on triple screens, probably not.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jan 23 2020 - 05:10 PM.

#13 fastmule

fastmule

Dan Gurney

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:GPL of course.

Posted Jan 23 2020 - 07:29 PM

View PostRobert Fleurke, on Jan 22 2020 - 03:03 PM, said:

I was playing at that same resolution but now its only displaying on the right side (3rd) monitor and I have no idea why. The only changes I did was take it apart and move it to clean around it. Is there a certain order for the triple monitor setup needed plugged into the card?? Kind of at a lose dont know how this happened.

#14 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Jan 24 2020 - 01:41 AM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Jan 23 2020 - 05:06 PM, said:

Robert,

thks for your advice.

For the bezels correction settings and the pixel adjustements, I have seen on various forums it is best when possible to have 3 identical monitors.

Even if GPL is in an antipodean world to today games, I hope 7660 X 1440 Pixels to display, won't be too much  for the GTX 1660 Ti.

Have been wandering here and there on hardware/ games forums, and it seems 1440 and 144Hz won't afraid this videocard, but no user said if they played on triple screens, probably not.

Indeed if you have the money 3 identical monitors is the way to go. Personally I do hide the sidemonitors' inside bezels behind my main monitor, also because of wide bezels, and no bezel compensation support in my eyefinity. (however newer catalyst drivers do support it).

I'd say you should be able to make it work, but who knows you might have to lower some 3D settings, in order to keep a good FPS rate.

Nowadays it's very easy to setup triple monitors, especially when you have 3 displayports in your graphics card, and 3 display port monitors ;)

Good luck!

View Postfastmule, on Jan 23 2020 - 07:29 PM, said:

I was playing at that same resolution but now its only displaying on the right side (3rd) monitor and I have no idea why. The only changes I did was take it apart and move it to clean around it. Is there a certain order for the triple monitor setup needed plugged into the card?? Kind of at a lose dont know how this happened.

I have ran into the same problems, and also didn't know why. Reconnecting again sometimes helped.

My setup has only 1 legacy connection (main monitor (DVI) with an active display port adapter (DVI) to display port (GP). And 1 DVI-DVI, and a VGA-VGA connection. Not sure if you have the same, but the main thing is you NEED to have at least 1 legacy connection (DP-DP).

Also at some point 1 sidemonitor wouldn't work anymore at some point, and have replaced it. Hope you can make it work again as triple monitors is awesome! It helped me a lot, as it's more immersive, and you can use a better/more realistic FOV for a better perspective. ;)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, Jan 24 2020 - 01:44 AM.

#15 fastmule

fastmule

Dan Gurney

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:GPL of course.

Posted Jan 24 2020 - 08:14 AM

Thanks Robert, I have a similar setup DVI-to middle monitor, DP active adapter to left and DP adapter to right monitor. I finally got it back I just kept switching until the menu screen showed up on all 3 monitors like it used to. Thanks for the words and yes triples are a game changer!

#16 GPLaps

GPLaps

GPLaps

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted Jan 24 2020 - 09:28 AM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Jan 23 2020 - 04:56 PM, said:

Great rendering Jake,

Thanks for capturing 3440 X 1440 jpg pics on my small monitor, I have been scrolling a lot to display your shots by scaling at the correct horizontal size around 75 cm corresponding to your 34" Ultra Wide screen.

I have a better idea of the size you get and the pixel definition,even with the compression loss.Enough for GPL !

Your monitor has an IPS , VA or TN slab ?

Great question about IPS vs VA/TN. I'm actually not sure, but I know it is not an IPS panel. My biggest complaint is that the panel is only 60hz, but for GPL that does not matter. I have just the flat panel, there is no curve, but it sits so close to my steering wheel that having it flat is fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links