• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 21 2019 - 01:32 PM

Hi everybody. I've finally bought my first desktop PC, after years of laptop gaming🀭

I've combined this with a classic Gaming feel.

So calling all Techsperts and GPL gurus. What do you think for GPL gaming and other gaming needs πŸ€”

Windows XP Home Edition Desktop PC
Really Fast Dual Core XP System.
Nice Midi Size Case. 2 Front USB 2 Ports
ABit AN52 Mobo. AMD FX62 Dual Processor
2.8mhz x 2 - 1mb x 2 L2 Cache.
3gb OCZ Ram. Seagate 250gb Sata Hdd
Very Nice Creative Labs SB 460 Sound Card.
Great When Plugged In To A Decent Sound System.
DvD Burner, DvD Re-Writer. Wi-Fi Ready.
Front & Rear Fans.
Fully Up to Date System. Installed Programmes
Panda Dome Security, IoBit Smart Defrag, Advanced System Care, Malware Fighter. Uninstaller. Microsoft Works 9, Microsoft Publisher 98. VLC Media Player. Nero Burning Software, Maxthon 5 Browser. .... and more .....  
MSI GTX 660 graphics with appropiate power pack
22" HP Monitor HD

I just need to add my keyboard/mouse and speakers system I've got all hidden away somewhere for this moment.

Cost Β£130 UK pounds. The tower and screen are like new, with no scratches or dents. Just need to plug and play. First I've got to tidy my room around to make space and put on my new workstation desk, with foldable chair (Β£30) Then I can start installing all my games including GPL. Which will be first.

I also got a personal and great connection with the seller who stated that channels of communication are always open if I need him for any advice. Very trusted person.

So can't wait until I get all this set up and situated in my room for some classic Gaming Including GPL πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ™

TP:🏁

#2 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jul 21 2019 - 09:20 PM

Outdated is what comes to mind seeing the specs. It may be fine if you want to run GPL offline but anything released in the 2010s is going to be tough to process. Depending on what games you play 250GB HD is especially low.

#3 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,612 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jul 22 2019 - 03:47 AM

Ah okay Michkov. Thanks for the honest opinion.

I'm only going to play offline (never been online person) and play classic games like GPL. From mid nineties to mid noughties. So should be fine.

I think I'm going to add another drive eventually. The guy I bought it off said don't bother with SSD. Keep it at sata because of the XP OS.

Anyway it is what it is now and I'm looking forward to first time desktop gaming 😁

TP:

#4 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Jul 22 2019 - 08:37 AM

As you shouldn't connect to the i-net with XP anymore, why there is such a heavy load of not needed "security software" installed ???
Get CCleaner and prevent all from starting with XP! DL the needed software with your laptop and disable the ethernet controler...

To run GPL you need to disable "Cool and Quiet" in the bios and install "PhenomMsrTweaker x86 Setup.msi" to handle it manualy. (too old CPU!)

Edited by Cookie, Jul 22 2019 - 08:43 AM.

#5 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jul 22 2019 - 10:17 AM

I agree that it's a bit outdated indeed, especially on the cpu side. But a good 2006 cpu should be more than good enough for a 1998 game. ;)

And as long as you stay offline with XP it should be fine, it's not safe to go online with that OS anymore. Sadly W7 will have the same faith in 2020.

Edited by Millennium, Jul 22 2019 - 10:22 AM.

#6 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted Jul 22 2019 - 10:31 AM

We've done tests on what is needed to run current mods and tracks such as the new 1967 Sports Car Extra Mod and Isle of Man.  Basically, a 64 bit OS with at least 8 GBs of RAM, 2 or more GBs of VRAM, and the fastest CPU you can afford are needed now.

Twinpotter's specs are for a 32 bit OS and only 3 GBs of RAM.  The original GPL and older mods may run OK within these limits, but newer mods and tracks probably won't work very well.

It will be interesting to hear how his PC performs.

Edited by Lee200, Jul 22 2019 - 10:32 AM.

#7 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,612 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jul 22 2019 - 11:51 AM

Thanks everybody for their honest thoughts πŸ‘

Hope I haven't bought a dinosaur 🀭😐

I'm not intending to go online. Intended to go alongside the desktop and by my new workstation will be my x4 laptops. Vista, Win7, Win8.1 and Win10.
Anything I need will come through them and transferred across πŸ€”

When I'm set up end of this week or into next (time permitting) I will thoroughly check everything GPL 😁 I'm interested too about what it's going to do πŸ€”πŸ™ I'll then report back here 😎

PS: What's best to bench mark with GPL. Spa67 track, Isle of Man track, one of the newer mods like 1955 πŸ€”
Also failed to mention ( I know people mention outdated) As in title I may have stated wrong. It's new to me not as in brand new. I knew that perfectly when I was buying and it was deliberately intended by me to by second hand and refurbished. Due to funds.

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Jul 22 2019 - 12:26 PM.

#8 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,243 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 22 2019 - 12:31 PM

View Posttwinpotter, on Jul 22 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

PS: What's best to bench mark with GPL. Spa67 track, Isle of Man track, one of the newer mods like 1955 πŸ€”

A good test should be the 1969 Extra mod as it has the most car slots of all mods. Montjuich track is also very hard for the system.
Try a full grid race starting from the back of the grid.

#9 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted Jul 22 2019 - 12:42 PM

Yes, please let us know how well your new PC works.  It should give us some indication of the minimum specs needed to run GPL now.

The most graphics intensive tests will be with the new Sport Car Extra mod and either Spa 67 or Isle of Man tracks.  You didn't say how much VRAM you had on your graphics card, but I doubt it will be very much and most of the graphics will try to load into your RAM.

32 bit XP will gobble up 2 GBs of your RAM so that only leaves 1 GB for all other programs including the GPL program and its graphics textures that can't fit in your VRAM.

Edited by Lee200, Jul 22 2019 - 12:44 PM.

#10 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,612 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jul 22 2019 - 12:50 PM

Thanks Stefan and Lee.

There's a few benchmark programmes he showed me that was benchmarking a game? When I picked it up. Can't remember what programmes were?

How do I check for Vram?
Will dxdiag help or the benchmark programmes he installed. He stated that he'd stress tested it. Is that same as bench mark?

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Jul 22 2019 - 12:51 PM.

#11 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted Jul 22 2019 - 12:54 PM

I took a quick look at the MSI GTX 660 specs and it supports 1.5 GBs or more of VRAM so you may be in luck there.  Running the Sports Car Extra mod at the Isle of Man track needs about 2 GBs of VRAM so you may be able to load them both into your graphics card.  That way, GPL by itself will be able to use most of the 1 GB of RAM remaining to you.

#12 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted Jul 22 2019 - 01:04 PM

The age old method of testing GPL is by measuring the frame rate at the back of a 19 AI grid at race start using GPL's internal frame rate display or a third party program such as FRAPS.  Both should display the same frame rate.  FRAPS has the advantage in that it displays the frame rate regardless of view so it works OK outside the player's cockpit view.

Typically, benchmark programs run a series of tasks such as popular games and then calculates a frame rate score.  Each benchmark is different though.

I don't know what your seller used for a "stress" test other than perhaps running a cpu or graphics intensive program or one that did a lot of memory read/writes to see how the PC performs or if it overheats.

Edited by Lee200, Jul 22 2019 - 01:22 PM.

#13 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,612 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jul 22 2019 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for that info Lee πŸ‘

I've lots of testing to do not only GPL but other games.

With what I've had in the past with all my laptop's, this would you believe is the best ever spec that I've ever had.

So not giving up hope yet as I've struggled all my gaming life with sub par equipment πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

TP:

#14 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted Jul 22 2019 - 01:16 PM

Here's how to check VRAM in XP:

http://www.howtohq.c...ideo-memory-xp/

#15 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,612 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jul 22 2019 - 02:17 PM

Cheers πŸ‘ Will do 😁

TP:

#16 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,612 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jul 27 2019 - 08:02 AM

Hi Everybody and Lee from the last reply regarding memory.

I've checked out the memory as Instructed from the link and it is stating Memory= 2048

Apologies I have been awhile doing this and I haven't Installed or done gpl as yet as I've been super busy setting up not only the rig but my workspace room as well.

On with it though as soon as possible!

TP:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links