Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 15 2018 - 03:50 AM

Hello,

I have a question...
After 12 years gpl I'm still unsure about this point: Is there a difference in damage level between PRO mode and GP races?
I'm an online racer. In the days before the race I practise offline in single player mode. When I touch i. e. at Mexico the white tires at the edge of the road a bit often the suspension is damaged hard.
A few days later in the race it seems the same touches have no effect.
In my offline practice anyway I choice damage modell realistic. In online (or offline) PRO races gpl itself displays damage modell realistic too. If I start a GP race gpl says realistic too.

So my question is: Is the realistic damage level in PRO/GP mode different? And is the single player damage level the same like in GP mode?

BR Olaf

#2 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Dec 15 2018 - 11:23 AM

good question, i wonder if a test has been done, or anyone knows for sure.
hitting the tires at Mex could be varied. angle/speed/ride height/fuel load etc.

maybe a test with running at a wall.. head on, same speed in both instances?
otherwise, i'm guessing.

#3 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 319 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Dec 16 2018 - 08:13 PM

I'm one that thinks offline the damage is much more severe than online. I've run GPs both on and offline. I was a slower driver before I started racing online. Offline almost any touch would damage my alignment. Online with Pro or GP, I can get away with some minor bumps with no ill effect.

#4 Olaf Lehmann

Olaf Lehmann

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted Jul 28 2019 - 01:37 PM

Now...after more than an halv year, a lot of tests and understanding the most part of the "retranslated" responsible gpl code I can say something more about it:

Realistic damage is working for Testing; for Offline racing and for the Host in the same way, but NOT for Clients.
For Clients the damage sensibilty is much lesser.

So It's masochistic to start in a race as a host. The difference is the possibility for suspention damages and such things. In difference to the Host Clients have a very small posibility to get this.
The possibility for loosing a wheel seems to be equal.

After a lot of work (and patience) I was successful to prepaired the code to give the Clients the same damage level than in Practice, Online racing or the Host.
I have integrated it in dirtgearpatch. So for the first time Clients have a really realistic damage level.

If you are interested in the near future HIES will make a summer test race with it.

BR Olaf

#5 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,028 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Jul 28 2019 - 05:54 PM

Really impressive work Olaf :cool:
Bravo! :thumbup:

#6 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted Jul 28 2019 - 10:04 PM

Wow, great!!! It's just black magic to me. I cannot even imagine how you do it without access to the code!

Thanks a lot!

Marcos

#7 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, chess, classical music(piano concetos), computers, firearms, modern military history, motor racing, racing sims.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Jul 29 2019 - 05:11 AM

Splendid work, Olaf!  Many thanks for your efforts.

The dirtgearpatch is a feature of races here...

http://www.gpl1967.d...-Esports-League

and racing resumes after a Summer break on September 19 at Balcarce in GP67 cars.  Entries encouraged.  Please do keep an eye on this thread for a test of the new patch features.

#8 Olaf Lehmann

Olaf Lehmann

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted Aug 17 2019 - 02:51 AM

Wow, great!!! It's just black magic to me. I cannot even imagine how you do it without access to the code!

I think it has only 10% to do with talent, but 90% with patience and persistence...

Now the F1HistoricES server is running with it. The necessary XML file called dirtgear8 you (and everybody) find here:

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=8808

The file is places in subfolders gpl13/60fps beneth the old pitstop71(dg) version.

BR Olaf

Edited by Olaf Lehmann, Aug 17 2019 - 02:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links